Just some questions

(Kayla) #1

Okay I am bring new to keto i have been on the diet for 4 days now… I am feeling extremely tired. which it doesnt help i work graveyard shift either and i gave blood yesterday. But my question is how long does it take to start burning fat and how long will the flu last? What is my time frame for all of this i have always been a very heavy carb eater.Like that is all my diet was until 4 days ago. I have been eating alot of meat veggies that is about all I eat right now. I just want to feel better and not be so tired all the time. Is why I am doing this diet in the first place.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Welcome Kayla. The switch to burning fat for fuel can take weeks to months but that first week can be the toughest. It helps to eat plenty of fat with your meat and veg, to tell your body that this is the fuel, here’s plenty of it. You can modify things later. Good sleep, plenty of salt, staying hydrated and eating enough will make you more comfortable.

Cutting the carbs and burning fat for fuel can help you feel better but you’ll have to take lifestyle into consideration as well. Working the graveyard shift it tough regardless of diet. Here are some links that will help:

Here’s a down to earth doctor who makes quick, easy to understand videos:

(Karen) #3

Current weight and height and age?

(Scott) #4

Everybody here will tell you to increase salt and electrolytes so I will skip that part. I didn’t get the flu per say but I did feel off for a week to ten days. After that I felt good but had very little energy when running. At the three month mark I had my running energy back and assume that it was when I became fat adapted. In short the changes brought on by a keto WOE take time and yes you will doubt your choice at times. Stay strong and committed as it keeps getting better. I am at one year now and am still improving. I am also at my healthiest level by all markers at the age of 57. I can’t imagine ever going back to SAD.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Keto “flu” is a symptom of not enough salt. Try to eat around 2-3 U.S. teaspoons a day. We excrete sodium more readily when we’re not eating a lot of carbohydrate, so it takes a bit of attention.

As for the general loss of energy, it generally takes 6-8 weeks to achieve full fat-adaptation. But it’s not a binary condition, you should start feeling better by degrees. Give it time, and you’ll be fine. I was fortunate that when I started eating ketogenically, various things happened in my life that held my focus, so I couldn’t obsess about how I was feeling physically. As difficult as that time was, in retrospect, I think I’m grateful.

Don’t stint on the calories. The initial period may involve eating quite a bit of food, but don’t worry about that; your body needs the energy to heal and re-tool. In a week or two, as your insulin drops, your appetite will most likely drop noticeably, and you’ll find yourself cutting back, simply because you’re not hungry. So listen to your body and give it what it wants. You’ll be fine.

(Scott) #6

Burning fat is not a switch so there is no on and off. Think of it as someone slowly turning up the volume a little bit every day. At first you can’t hear it, then kind of hear it but only months later it will be loud.

(Marianne) #7

This was my experience exactly. I ate three meals a day in the beginning, even though I had never done so before, and it helped me with alleviating cravings and hunger. Made sure to get enough salt, and these things combined resulted in no keto flu. After probably two weeks, I had a natural aversion to eating three times a day. That became two and quickly became one, only because I didn’t feel like I wanted to (no hunger, cravings, etc.). My energy in between meals was coming from fat stores until I felt a need to eat again. Good luck.