Just got Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot

Went back on ketogenic diet and doing well with that (weight loss, blood pressure improvement, great blood sugar control etc.).

I started walking about 11k steps per day on average and I currently weigh 368 lbs. It’s been 12 days and starting a couple days ago my right foot started to hurt. Yesterday morning I woke with plantar fasciitis in my arch of my right foot along with 2 or 3 adjacent tendons to the right of that. I read these are micro tears.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Do I have to not exercise at all and let it heal and scar, then do physical therapy (rolling golf ball under it on floor, picking up pen with toes etc)? I’ve had it before for many months (this was a few years back) and the golf ball and pen fixed it.

Perhaps I overdid it with my walking that many steps being this heavy and having had type 2 diabetes for a while. I am guessing those tendons are glycated and a bit brittle from the glucose in my blood sugar over the years.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Ouch! That is a ton of walking. I would take time off from the walking and do what you did before. Good news is it may repair faster in ketosis than it did for you previously. One of the NSV benefits of KETO.

I hope you’re back walking again soon but take it a little easier on yourself and walk less distance and take some days of regular life activity walking too. It will give your body a chance to heal those little injuries before your foot gets where it is now. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karen) #3

It’s the worst and takes so long to heal.

Thanks I’ll try what you suggest. Maybe I can find a YouTube video of it perhaps. I’ve been stretching the arch tendon many times throughout day by just contracting the muscle to pull back top tendons.

(Carol E. ) #6

Using a trigger point ball on the sole of my affected foot helped me. You may try substituting a frozen water bottle if you don’t have one of those balls.

https://heelthatpain.com/heel-pain/foot-massage-ball/

(Chris McRoberts) #7

I used a golf ball. That worked really well

(John) #8

It took well over a year for mine to get better, when I first had it some time ago - maybe 2013?

I used to walk for exercise. I tried various things - taping it, massaging with a styrofoam cup of ice, ace bandages, ibuprofen - all of which helped a little

But stopping walking for exercise, wearing shoes with very good cushioning, and never, ever going barefoot around the house on hard floors is what finally resolved it.

Though it’s still there - I can still feel it sometimes. But I can walk 2 to 4 miles now for exercise and my foot doesn’t hurt. But I am still careful, and still wear soft shoes (Crocs) around the house, and I watch for any kind of flare up, and try not to push it for distance, especially not on back to back days.

Yeah the golf ball does wonders actually. I used that before. I guess I should try it again, to see if it helps with brand new case of it.

(Troy Mitchell) #10

I had Plantar fasciitis really bad in both feet. I tried a lot different stuff including podiatrists. Yes, plural. The pain was so bad it felt like a railroad spike in each heel. I went to the Good Feet store and within a few days the pain was gone never to return. It isn’t cheap, but it was worth it. I would pass on the relaxers and maintainers and just get you a pair of Birkenstocks or Chacos.