Just got my first ketone meter. Can you help clarify?

newbies

Hello! I’ve search the forum but can’t find quite what I’m looking for. Most newbie questions ask if their reading of 0.4 is too low since it’s under the Phinney 0.5.

I just got a new ketone meter to make sure that I’m in ketosis because I think that I’ve been struggling with bought foods. I have seen that some people who are adapted can be in the 0.3-0.5 range. So I get that. My highest thus far has been 0.4 after fasting 24 hours but I haven’t had the most solid past few days.

Yesterday I ate some ezekiel bread then at the end of the day got a reading of 0.1 down from 0.4. Obviously that means it increased my insulin but does that mean it “kicked me out of keto” and my body has stopped producing ketones or it’s just really low? I ate the ezekiel bread in the morning but still by night time i was only at 0.1 Tested again this morning before eating and it was 0.1 and then again after eating scrambled eggs, bacon, and deviled eggs still at 0.1. I had been what i thought was strict for 5 weeks but now I’m realizing maybe what I had been eating even though i was almost always under 50g, usually under 30g could still be too much for my body. How can I use the ketone meter to really find my body’s sweet spot? I obviously don’t want to chase super high ketones, but I would really like to use the ketone meter as a way to guide my way.

Edit: I tested my blood sugar at the same time and there wasn’t a significant spike.

(Saleem) #2

Hey, Blood ketone Meters measure Beta Hydroxybutyrate. Optimum Ketosis numbers varies and to be honest no body can pin point the accurate number.

Professor Phinney in his book the “the Art and Science of low card living” states that .5 is the entry level of ketosis and that between 1.5 and 3 is the actual “optimum ketosis” range.

Some people will sugar coatyour results and claim that your brains are using all the Beta Hydroxybutyrate but that is wrong in my opinion. you are not in Ketosis.

some people are kicked out of ketosis at 50 grams and some at 30 grams. i would go back to the food journal and write everything you eat. keep an eye for the hidden carbs and up you fat consumption.

Good luck