Just 3 weeks in and off Levemir, etc

(Cranford Coulter) #1

I started the Keto diet 22 days ago. I quit my Levemir 3 days ago and my fasting BG went down. The last three days, I have only needed 2 units total of the Novolog and my BG numbers keep coming down. My blood pressure is coming down. I had to tighten my belt a notch.

That’s great news, @Arimathean! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I wish you continued success. :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Darren already said it. :+1:

Please keep us posted with your progress.

(Cranford Coulter) #4

I saw my PCP for the first time today since starting Keto. She is totally on board and very pleased with my progress! She said she was a little alarmed that I had quit the Lipitor 3 days after my carotid artery surgery. I told her it was prescribed by the hospitalist who was the only uncurious doctor I saw during my stay for my TIA. She smiled and repeated “uncurious” and laughed.
I reminded her how her husband (my cardiologist) had told me six years ago, that “in five years we would no longer be measuring cholesterol, because it is irrelevant. Inflamatories are the real issue.” She basically agreed, but said, that fats are part of the whole picture of metabolic syndrome. She expressed concern about carcinogens in hormones in animal fats. This gives me something else to research.
She looked at my BG & BP diary and was thrilled to see that my BG had gone down when I stopped using Levemir and I have only used a total of 4 units of Novolog insulin all week. I have also lost almost 10 pounds and appear much thinner since last month.
She encouraged me to be disciplined and stick with it. She told me she has several other patients who are on Keto whose T2D is in remission.