JULY 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-In Thread

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Ok, Maintenance Crew, another month is gone, welcome July.

How is everyone doing?

I did a multiple days visit to the mountains to avoid record breaking temps here on the Front Range. I ate out all meals, skipped a few of course, but still had plenty to eat and I did a few cocktails, I ordered them without the syrups so mostly lemon or lime juice or diet soda with liquors. I was afraid I would bounce up but after the second trip, I was down a lb. from when I left home. Maintenance Land is an interesting place.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I have decided to do a 4 min. workout challenge for this month, you need to do this 3x a day for 4 mins.

glad you had a good trip & were down a pound!
A newbie to maintenance, Iā€™m feeling my way, weā€™ve had a weekend away which didnā€™t help, I seem to fluctuate about 3lbs over my goal weight which I guess is okay, as long as it doesnā€™t go any more than thatā€¦ itā€™s caused a bit of friction with hubby as he thinks Iā€™m still trying to lose, & he canā€™t understand that I love keto & like fasting, & will need to do this to maintain. Iā€™m a bit of an all or nothing person, so I do feast well on eating days! Iā€™m doing OMAD this week, & have found some new recipes to try with my son as well- usually no-one wants to eat what I do!!
Good luck with the challenge- Iā€™m doing @Shortstuffā€™s idea of the 100 squats a day challenge!
Good luck to all the other maintainers, & sorry for the whinge!

(Allie) #4

@jules4 I hope you get results like I did from it! The first ten days or so my legs were TIRED, constantly, but I pushed through and started feeling stronger. I can see a slight change in the front of my thighs, then last night during yoga (this monthā€™s personal challenge), while I was in downward dog pose in my underwear (itā€™s HOT and I train at home :rofl:) I could see noticeable changes with the bits I canā€™t see from normal positions :grin:

Iā€™m doing ā€˜easierā€™ squats to start with, hopefully will do deeper ones soon! I love that- seeing bits you donā€™t normally see! I have taken before photosā€¦

(Allie) #6

@jules4 as long as youā€™re pushing yourself, thatā€™s all that matters :heart:

(Karen Parrott) #7

Hello All. I was doing great on trying to stick to a strict 18:6, made it 21 days or so, and blammo. Back to 12:12.

I canā€™t complain. Iā€™m solid state weight maintenance. My sleep needs work. Big time. So in addition to more 18:6, maybe stringing together as many days as I can, taking a one day 12:12 break, then stringing more 18:6 together.

So this month

1. Sleep improvement (cutting number of coffee cups a day, no electronics at night, meditation app

2. Streaks of 18:6.

Iā€™m volunteering at Low Carb USA 2018 at the end of July. Canā€™t wait. Itā€™s going to be fun. Iā€™m also getting my kid ready for college in August and transitioning to empty nest. Bitter sweet. Mostly sweet. In a non-binge way.

Hello Again! Thank you! I need this July thread to keep me honest!

I went a pound below what I thought was my maintenance weight by the end of June, but is NOT an indication of anything consistent during the month! Grief, travel, and sleep patterns instigated tons of swings in my patterns and wreaked havoc on my maintenance plans. I even saw my scream weight during June. July began with the same fluctuations, but I am determined to just do a clean, boring (healthy, delicious) remainder of the month. I cannot take the swings! So here is my plan:

16:8 (did some OMADs during June, and that led to overeating the following days);
No added fat unless to aid satiety for lean meats (that is finally sinking in for me!);
Real food (tried some protein shakes to replace a meal and, again, they did not work well).

All of the above have proven their benefits for me this past year. So I guess July is back to basics!

I will also take July to review/ponder if my maintenance weight is my real low - I am unsure if I aimed too high on that number. (I am within normal BMI which was my goal, but I am definitely on the high end of normal. Because I havenā€™t been within normal BMI since I was a teen - and am now entering my 60th year - I thought that was good enough, but am wonderingā€¦).

ANY suggested readings or insights on that issue are welcome!

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Have you read the long post by gardengirlkp in this thread?

Yes, thank you. I especially liked her suggestions about how she tweaks the information in Refuse to Regain to meet her individual needs. I also check out any blog posts Karen shares as she is really the queen of Maintenance! And you as well!

Hey all! Itā€™s been awhile- checking in for July. Glad to hear everyone is doing pretty good. Iā€™ve been doing a sort of ā€œlazy Ketoā€ for 2 months now. I would like to think of it as more like ā€œefficient Ketoā€ bc i pretty much stopped tracking and only follow the scale. Iā€™m eating a bit more protein and slightly less fat. Still only incidental carbs unless itā€™s vegetsbles. Iā€™ve been feeling really good. My weight is stable and only went up a pound or two. It is has been relatively easy for me to maintain this way. Iā€™m thinking about doing this another 2 months then checking my labs- a1c and lipid panel to see if there are any noticeable metabolic changes. Well- just an update- wish you all success in maintaing!!:grinning:

Going away to visit a friend next week- really looking forward to it but being keto will be hard, I canā€™t take any food with me & canā€™t expect them to get anything much for me. Hopefully will be able to go shopping together so I can buy a few bits for myselfā€¦ friend has already said how much sheā€™s looking forward to going out for coffee & cake like we used to, oh dear!
Think Iā€™ll be needing an EF by the time I get back!!

I just entered the wonderful world of ā€œnormal BMIā€ today, after skirting around the number for the last month or so.

But itā€™s not quite enough! I definitely look better-- and feel 1,000 times better-- than I did when I was in the BMI of 31 category. But I remember the good old days, when the standard weight charts said women should weigh 100 pounds at 5ā€™0" and 5 pounds more for every inch over. At 5-1, that means I ā€œshouldā€ weigh 105. Itā€™s hard to get that number out of my head.

I know that would be ridiculously low for me. But 132, where Iā€™m at now, leaves me with a large ā€œapronā€ overhang of fat still and a pouchy lower abdomen. Iā€™m 67, so maybe Iā€™m expecting too much from this old bod.

Anyone else in a similar placeā€“at ā€œnormalā€ weight but still looking to lose maybe a few more pounds or tighten up what theyā€™ve got?

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Congrats on the new BMI number.

If it makes you feel better, older people, and that is not just women, are more likely to live through rough health issues if they have a little extra weight on them. So it is healthy for you. Iā€™m 5ā€™3" 69, and not since my 30s have I weighed 115 lbs. I am currently maintaining and I am a few lbs. lower than the top of the range for my age/height.

Yeah, I have one small apron left, used to have multiples, and while it would be nice to get rid of it, I am not too concerned. I do play around with the idea of lowering my goal weight to something near the bottom of the range, but I think midway is a better place to be. I am continuing to do some fasting, both IF and EX types, if my weight goes down further that would be nice but not necessary. Fasting does other things for me besides weight loss.

I can enjoy my life, the ability to buy off the rack in normal stores, celebrate with family and friends. and eat really great foods and have some wine with it. I can live this way.

Well done you! Iā€™m 5ā€™1" as well; Iā€™ve never heard weight calculated like thatā€¦ :cry: Iā€™m in the middle of the weight range/ BMI at 112lbs. I would happily try for lower, although the last few pounds to get where I am did take ages & a lot of fasting, but hubby doesnā€™t want me to lose any more- itā€™s gone from my top half rather than the bottom half where it needs to go! I did weigh about 105lbs a few years ago, but people kept asking him if I was ill! So Iā€™m working on getting toned- I do seem to be developing more muscle with the not huge amount of exercise Iā€™ve done up until now, interestingly! What I would really love is to be is as @collaroygal says; enjoying life & food & celebrationsā€¦ & to stay the same weightā€¦ Iā€™ve always had a few yearsā€™ cycle of losing & gaining. Iā€™ll settle for this weight if I can not gain anything! (BTW Iā€™ll join your apron club, 2 caesareans have left their mark!!)
Unfortunately my family are not that supportive of keto, think itā€™s weird, even though hubby sat through the Magic Pill documentary with meā€¦ Iā€™m loving it & feel better than I have done in 5 years, so am sticking with this WOE. Hubby thinks as Iā€™ve lost weight I can now go back to eating ā€˜normallyā€™ā€¦ No, then the weight will go back on & the carb monster will return!
I hope that others have more supportive families?!
But very well done again to you, Noapples4u! (Do you miss apples?!)

My trip away ended up not being keto at all, my friend planned meals completely different to the ones Iā€™d suggested & had already done the food shopping, luckily it was only a few days, so back on keto now & fasting today. Didnā€™t feel as grim eating carbs as some people report, but did have a lot of stomach pains, so hopefully a fast will help it settle down.
Weā€™re away in another week, so I need to shift a couple of pounds this week- self catering next week so at least I can take my own keto food!

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

So she sabotaged you. She did ask you ahead of time and then did the opposite of your desires. Causing you pain. Doesnā€™t sound like a nice friend to me.

I hope the fasting helps and am so sorry you had to go through that experience.

No, she is lovely, a good friend, just has baby-brain at the moment! It wasnā€™t intentional, sheā€™s just stressed, tired & forgetful right nowā€¦ In some ways it probably did me good, as I was quite worried about the eating side of things, which is not very healthy, & itā€™s taught me to be a bit more chilled, fasting can undo any non-keto eating & Iā€™ll surviveā€¦