July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

Checking for the end of my first post-EF day since I’m working on smoothing out my transitions out of the fasting days. I had three solid meals, and I’m still a bit off - still some of that weird full/hungry sensation - but I didn’t eat everything in sight and I kept it to meal times and carbs at 18g, so I’m going to call it a success :slight_smile: and just hope that it keeps getting better every time. I plan to eat normally most of this week but may try another 3-day fast Fri- Sunday.

(Allie) #22

@Metalflowa what you need to keep in mind with ketogains macros is that they’re intended for people who regularly lift weights so need more protein. I do regularly lift weights, but the protein they advise for me is way too high and kicked me out of ketosis. If it work for you, all good as some people do well on higher protein, just something you should be aware of :heart:

(Steve) #23

The one thing I’ve learned the hard way is that I really shouldn’t be donating blood while fasting. Last time I was actually fasting while donating blood, my hemoglobin was down to 152g/l and it wasn’t that bad. This time, as it turns out, I was down to 141g/l (the cutoff for donation is 140g/l) - so my iron was almost so low that they wouldn’t let me donate! :flushed: (that was after a 5-day…and only a couple days of refeed).

My iron being that low and being down a pint, really kicked my ass trying to kick off another EF…first day I felt so bad, I ended up having some broth. Second day (of constant headache, dizziness, and comprehension issues) I pulled the plug and refed. Definitely need to have your iron back up to normal levels when you do this.

A pretty good indication that our iron levels get depleted while fasting. (prior donations were close to the high point - 173 and 174 g/l.

(Allie) #24

Good on you for donating though @fischersd :heart:

(Allie) #25

So I have done something to my left hip and walking hurts… suspecting I over-stretched last night in yoga, although it was fine on morning dog walk so really don’t know. And I have to try and find / catch a goose after work as the poor bird has fishing line wrapped around his legs :worried:

(Laura Morales) #26

Oh yeah I kept the protein of my old macros, just used the fat macros from ketogains :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #27

Going to feed my mom & husband tonight but skip dinner myself. If I eat at lunch tomorrow that gives me a 42 hour fast. If I’m ok I’ll push it to dinner.

We’re taking Mom to her summer cottage for 2 1/2 weeks on Friday & I can’t see fasting on vacation but maybe? Definitely can picture OMAD most days though.

I’m dancing right around 160 lbs and have been for a long time, mostly just above. Purely for vanity’s sake lol I’d love to dance around 159 for awhile :smile:

Still aiming for 140 with no real idea how to get there except someday having more flexibility to fast more often again. :woman_shrugging:

(Beth) #28

This is really helpful info, thank you. I have to supplement with iron because of chronically low ferritin uptake and this May explain why sometimes I can’t jump back into fasting after 1-2 meals. Sometimes my body just wants more refeed days. Or I can just take the supplement even when fasting.

(Steve) #29

My guess is, it’s a curve - we lose more iron at the front end, and it dwindles down as the body starts shutting down processes to conserve energy due to fasting. Also quite likely that the healing that the liver is doing may consume some iron (but they should get some back from the cells they scavenge during autophagy as well).

If it wasn’t a curve, no-one would be able to fast for more than a week or so without becoming anemic.

I certainly didn’t do my body any favours by donating with such low iron, then kicking off a fast…thought I’d be ok, as I was fasting the time before…heh…nope. :slight_smile:

From now on, I’m going to ask the nurse that does the test what my hemoglobin level is, before we proceed with the donation. If it’s too low, I’ll just reschedule a few days out and get my iron levels back up.

Thanks for that point about donating- I’m going to donate in another month (they were too busy so that’s the earliest appt. I could get!), haven’t donated any blood for about 20 years, I was always a bit anaemic, I’ll have to make sure that I boost my level before & after…
OMAD working well this week, although for some reason I was really hungry yesterday. Could be that the meals I’m having aren’t perhaps the right macros, I’m trying some new recipes with my son, but I do have plenty of fat afterwards if the meal doesn’t have so much.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #31

I am back :smiley:
Planing on doing Omad for the next few days and then jump right in with a 5 day fast on Monday. anyone with me?

(Allie) #32

I’ve had such a shit night. My boyfriend has mental health issues combined with alcoholism and was missing (un-contactable) all night. Reported him missing at 6am after a very restless night, hardly any sleep - police were great and really helpful. He came home by himself but police agreed I had done right be reporting him missing as he’s in such a state… the officer took him to hospital :pensive:

I’m finding it easy not to eat right now… 40 hours and counting.

Ooooh, no!! I’m sorry, Allie. That really sucks. Sending hugs your way…

(Allan L) #34

Just completed another 67 hr fast (Sunday Afternoon to Wednesday lunch time), almost gave in a few times yesterday due to all the pre-cooked meat in the fridge but dug in and found inner strength. 2nd week in a row I have managed a nice longer fast. Quite pleased with myself.

@Shortstuff Sorry to hear about your drama’s. Hope life settles down for you soon. When I am missing sleep my ‘eat the wrong type of food demons’ come out in mass.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #35

Oh Allie! :scream: Seriously you are my personal hero!
You care so much for others, humans and animals alike, and you are still able to fast and kick my butt in daily step count and working out!

You seriously deserve to get some down time without stuff happening. My best wishes to you :hugs::hugs:

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #36

That is a tough row to hoe :confused:. Hope he stabilizes soon (())

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #37

I’ve been able get back into Alternate Day Fasting 3 Days/week and it’s going great! Did Thurs/Sat/Tues so far. On track for this week with the holiday today being an eating day.

Upside is I’ve started losing pounds and inches again and I’m able to keep up with my strength training plan. Downside is the dreaded :older_woman: :jp: return right on schedule :woman_facepalming:. Keep thinking it’s over for good, get back into Keto and fasting and there it is again :roll_eyes:

(Liz ) #38

Hugs

(Liz ) #39

At 40 hours 30 minutes now. There’s a neighbor cookout at 2 so I might aim for that. One of the neighbors is Keto!

(Allie) #40

Thanks everyone. I’m so tired it’s unreal. He’s out of hospital now after being assessed by a psychiatrist and a psychologist who have referred him for therapy. I went to get him when he was released so I could make sure he got home safely, work let me take time out (I’m lucky to work for such an understanding boss) which allowed us to have a good talk when I got him home. He’s really struggling but has calmed down to what he was like this morning. I didn’t want to leave him on his own but had to get back to work. I think he’s sleeping now.

After work I have to go and try to catch an injured goose so he can go to rescue, so tired but he’s in pain and needs help. One of my friends is coming with me to help and do the driving as I am too tired to drive that far tonight.

45 hours so far, so much going on that I’m not even thinking about food. I am a bit concerned about how the raised cortisol may be affecting me but for now I’ll focus on getting through the next few hours so I can sleep.