Juice from Souse Vide bag?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Do you guys just dump this down the sink ? It seems to me their would be lots of great flavors in that juice. Does anybody save this and condense it down, for use as a gravy, or mixed with anything as a sauce ?

(Jane) #2

Yes. I either condense it to make gravy or just use it to store my leftover sous vide meat in to keep it moist.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I keep a plastic tub in the freezer for dumping sousvide liquids. I boil it down, (there will be lots of myoglobin chunks forming to skim off) eventually it clears up and makes a great addition to vegetables like collard greens or as @Janie suggested in a sauce, soup or gravy. When you go to use it let it thaw and refrigerate again lto get all the fat at the top, take that off and use it for cooking.

How did your first sousvide experience go Chris? I strongly suggest using the Joule app as a guide for time and temperature.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Okay, thank you :slight_smile:
Haven’t got my machine yet. Hopefully I will be ordering it next week.

(Bob M) #5

I drink it, if it’s from steak. I’m also considering making a sauce with it.

(mole person) #6

I’m closer to what Bob does. I hate losing all the protein and flavor that’s in the myoglobin so I heat mine extremely gently so that it never globs up. Then I add salt and use the juice as a gravy over my meats. Love that stuff.

(Bob M) #7

I learned that from Amber O’Hearn, who indicated there are a lot of minerals that are in the liquid. Now, I usually don’t do this for pork, as it freaks out my wife, who is hesitant when it comes to pork.

The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to make a sauce for the current steaks (say): You have the liquid, but then I dry the steaks and sear them. At that point, we’re ready to eat. Maybe I should put the liquid into a pan while the searing is going on and reduce the liquid, throw in some butter, etc.

When we do the 24-48 hour chuck steak from here:

Then, I do take the liquid out, reduce it, put some red wine in it, take it off the heat, and add butter. I usually have to strain this a few times. I might use a low-carb thickener, too. But this is cooked with herbs, and for some reason I think herbs are necessary. But maybe a normal steak’s liquid could be just as good. I’ll have to give it a try.

(mole person) #8

I do it with pork. No problems yet!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

With beef I usually cook at about 132F, this makes the liquid somewhat unappealing, like half a cup of blood. Not blood but it looks like it. I have also left the myoglobin in and when you thicken it it’s cloudy but tastes fine. There’s usually quite a bit of collagen too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #10

Maybe you could use the juice as a gravy, adding chia seeds to thicken it? I was reading how they are a good thickening agent to use for Keto recipes.

They do thicken, but it’s more like a super slimy lining around the seed that turns into a gel like coating…not sure how that would work texture wise in gravy, if you try it let us know :grin: I can’t do chia seeds, causes me bad stomach pains and like flax it effects estrogen levels :confused:

(Susan) #12

OH wow, glad you told me now, I was planning on buying some at Costco on Friday night…maybe I will give them a pass now! Thank you =).

I’m sorry, I should keep my chia-negativity to myself :confused: There are definitely some people who love them and are fine eating them, but I would definitely suggest if you’re going to try them buy a small bag like from Walmart and see how you do…I personally do whatever I can to avoid excess estrogen, because it definitely effects my health and weight.

(Susan) #14

Well I am post menopausal (stopped Dec 2016 totally, no teetering off which was great that way) but terrible hot flashes all the time, and other hormonal nonsense, so don’t want to be adding to that so thanks for the warning =).