Journey so far how I lost 80kg 175lbs

ketopodcasts
alcohol
progress
weightloss
fasting

(Darren) #1

A few things came together and I knew I had to change.
It was Dec 2015 and I hit 185 kgs which for my height of 183cm was heavy no matter how you look at it. My blood pressure was 180/110 compared to the normal reading of 117/74 now. I struggled to walk 200m

I was on 5 different medications (Mobic, Sulfasalazine 15mg weekly methotrexate 200mg tramadol a day plus 40mg blood pressure meds daily).

My dermatologist wanted me to go for bariatric surgery (this is where weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through the removal of a portion of the stomach)
& I thought why would I operate on a healthy organ and make it unhealthy.
I also had 85% coverage of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

It all started with a friend Paul Cade advising me on Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and then I looked at dietdoctor.com. They had some great articles to explain the science and the human body.

I got recipes from the Ditch the carbs website that helped with cooking the family meals and my wife & daughter has been supporting me through this change.
I also found @Carl & @richard at 2KetoDudes and they were amazing. The podcast was the kicker for me and spoke to me personally.
Not that skinny never had any issues Dietician or Doctor telling me how to do get healthy and not giving me the science behind why I should do something.
They were in the trenches with me and felt they were along for the ride.

I stopped eating all bread, cakes, pasta, soft drinks and all grains. Also, no veggies that are grown underground and no fruit. I threw out all the low-fat products in the house and I also stopped drinking milk and alcohol.

The weight started to fall off pretty easily. Of course, in the beginning, the differences were noticeable as the clothes were no longer tight to eventually you have to buy a new collection of clothes. In the 1st 3 months, I lost 23kg and started to see the difference immediately losing on average 6kg per month for the next 8 months.

I am still transforming and have lost about 80kg in 20 months. What I have noticed is that my weight can stay the same but my body changes so now the weight is not my main indicator of health.
I have to look at where I have come from and be happy not look what I still need to lose.

The initial breakthrough was great! Understanding how your body works and having the power and understanding to change what had been a life long habit has activated a passion in me. I have read and learned a lot so far and continue to seek more knowledge. How I felt then has changed to how I feel now. As my goals change so too has my feeling toward this journey. I am excited to have done it.

Surprising I have had no setbacks. I have not craved anything after the first two weeks of making the change. I used to drink a fair bit of alcohol when going to the football with mates and on holidays in Thailand.

Now I don’t drink. I can drink if I want to but I just don’t crave it anymore.

My main challenge was not relying on the scale as a guide for success. I stayed the same weight for 6 weeks but went down two sizes in my clothes.

I adjusted my mindset to focus on how I felt, not how much I weighed. The scales lie! Your weight can change by 2kg in a day so why bother.

Here are some important things to understand before you get started.

Fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.
I exercise because I lost weight I don’t exercise to lose weight.
You first have to fix what’s above the mouth to control what goes in the mouth.
We eat to fuel our emotional state not to fuel our body.
Why are you where you are?
This is a lifestyle, not a diet.
This change is all about the rest of my life. How do you want to live it?

Now the only medication I am on is Humira injection fortnightly to control my active immune system. I take no other medication.

My Blood Pressure is 117/74 resting heart rate is 52.
I do about 5hrs of light exercise a week I have never been to a gym or had pills, meal replacement shakes I just eat real food.
I hope to do a ½ marathon in Oct.
I also have helped a few along the way and I pay it forward as my good friend did for me.

Here is a link to a podcast for men’s health I did recently and never thought I would be taken so seriously on this journey and I can’t thanks, everyone along the way but it ain’t over yet.

I am now doing an 185kg2halfmarathon journey for the next three months.
If I can do this then anyone can.

Again specials thanks to @richard times I have messaged him personally and he responds and explains and helps out.

Big shout out to the ZORNMASTER @Brenda for getting me started on fasting.
Follow my half marathon journey at
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LovinLCHF/# @LovinLCHF
better still come join me.

(Doug) #2

@LovinLCHF - Darren, I regret that I have but one ‘Like’ to give to your post. :sunglasses: :slightly_smiling_face:

(Jim Russell) #3

Awesome!

To me, getting off and staying of medications is the most important part of this journey. Even if I never lose another pound, that would be enough to make me stick with keto.

(Darren) #4

It’s great I save $90-$100 a month on medication I have been on for up to 15 years.
I am full of arthritis and have no pain anymore.

(carl) #5

Wow! What a great story!! Keep on rockin’ it forward!!

(Darren) #6

I’m followin your lead, Carl.

(Richard Morris) #7

Super impressed with what you’ve achieved Darren. Glad to have been able to help.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

Super stoked to have been a part of your journey @LovinLCHF Darren! Did you have your story published on DietDoctor.com? I recently did.

(Darren) #9

Not yet but I have sent it to them .

(Kellyn ) #10

I love this! My weight has stayed the same the last 3 weeks. I will never go back to eating the way I used to, because I feel so much better. I have more energy and think clearly. I love eating real food instead of processed food. It is hard to not care that the scale has not moved, especially when friends know I am eating differently and keep asking me how much I have lost. Thank you for your story. It is really encouraging.

I just want to chime in to say that staying the same weight while we drop clothing sizes or inches is not just " oh well, no weight lost but at least I lost some inches"; it’s actually particularly AWESOME. More density = more lean muscle mass and in some cases stronger bones. It’s the opposite of what happens to most folks as they age and it’s a really really good sign.

(Linda Culbreth) #12

Awesome and encouraging! Yes, you do gain lean body mass *muscles(, change sizes, but not more the scale sometimes. Add another slice of :bacon: and keto on!

Congrats! You are a true inspiration.

(Darren) #14

Following your lead Brenda.

Diet Doctor story.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

This is GREAT @LovinLCHF!! Super proud of you!

GO DARREN!!

Awesome! Totally about the mind. Eat to live, not live to eat!

Truly inspirational!