Jicama French Fries (and Poutine)

french
fries
poutine
jicama
lunch

(Jackie Gonzales) #2

Don’t want to sound too dumb, but isn’t that a tuber and therefore not a recommended keto food? Ive been passing on them for that reason.
Please Please tell me that I am incorrect. I’d love to get my diabetic non keto hubby to try these.

Not all root vegetables are the same. There are root vegetables like jicama, kohlrabi, rutabaga and celeriac that have significantly less carbs than potatoes.

Here’s the nutrition info I found right now by just googling it.

(Jackie Gonzales) #4

Thank You so much for your quick response. I’ve been strict keto for over a year and I’m 70lbs down. I think I may try these on my hubby, but sadly I will pass. I’ll let you know what the hubby thinks though… He likes sweet potato fries from the oven. he might actually like something fried

(eat more) #5

i’m pretending you did this for me :blush::joy:

(James storie) #6

This looks GOOD!

(Tim) #7

Holy crap that looks good. Thanks for sharing.

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #8

I want more hearts for this.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

(Michelle) #9

Wow, amazing. Where do I get tallow? or is there any other type of oil that can be used?? I’ve never fried anything like this, so have no idea.

You can buy tallow, either online or at the butcher or grocery that carries it. But, the best option I think is go to your local butcher and ask if they can give you their beef fat scraps (either for free or minimal cost…they likely throw it in the garbage). I get free beef fat scraps from a local butcher. Here is how to render it…

(Arlene) #11

Fiorella, You’re making me crazy! Can I just move in?

No problem if you are willing to do the dishes :joy:

(eat more) #13

hah i just made these and then realized i skipped the steaming step oops! :joy:

they’re still good…fried in bacon fat…what isn’t? :blush:

(Shawn Cochran) #14

I love (and miss) poutine! Definitely going to have to give this a shot.

Hahaha…extra crunchy fries I bet :wink:

Should still be great tasting, though. Jicama is gentle on the palate.

I fried in beef tallow. I get free beef fat from a local butcher (grass fed beef, by the way…bonus!!). So, I render it and use it in my cooking.

But, you can certainly fry in other fats…bacon fat is a great idea!!!

(eat more) #16

yes crunchy…still way better than oven baked jicama fries :blush:

i’m thankful that jicama isn’t potato…
i don’t remember the reason my mom told me to not eat raw potatoes but i remember being told that :joy:

(Jacquie) #17

Your mom was right! :smiley: It’s the solanine in raw potato.

wow,ill try these tomorrow.im in az. and jicama is abundant and cheap.ive been using it cut up with crush artificial drink powder sprinkled on it. a nice sweet cool treat and very low glycemic index.

What do you do for the gravy?

I got the gravy from this other recipe I posted:

(Suzi Smotrycz-Guilford) #21

this would be good made with rutabaga as well!!