Jerky Jubilee ZC July!

(Robin) #161

Nice! Perfect way to greet the sunrise or enjoy the sunset.
I’ll be interested to hear how your 30 day carnivore goes.

The thing I like about eliminating (or adding) one thing at a time is that your body will let you know how it affects you.

It certainly did ‘pass through.’

:upside_down_face:

:smiley:

Yeah…I need to sort my larder out, for temptation-wise.

But, there is this part of me that wants to hold it in reserve just in case ■■■■ goes south and there is an emergency (remember I’m in Northern Ireland!)…then there are options to keep going. I don’t know, but I think the madness in Ukraine is having an affect to all; I’ve noticed it. And Covid.

People will naturally get carefull, and take precautions. So I keep my stash of carbs, which isn’t that large anyway :man_shrugging:

My thoughts go out to you @Fangs and your hubby.

A top comorbity for a tough run through COVID is being male.

Mrs. Bear didn’t end up strangling this Bear. If he (hubby) knows what’s good for him he will take the quiet path. The complaining coo coos, getting warm cups of tea in bed to help swallow nasty tablets, having books read to one, and cool flannel on the forehead is the stuff for newly weds, or young children.

Carnivore strong @Fangs

Hi buddy.

It wasn’t really like that!

No craving at all (apart from the curry flavour, which I love, and who wouldn’t?).

Just was a holiday over here and it was convenient.
And I know that’s how the convenience food products can mess people up.

All good. Back on the saddle! :blush:

@Keto_Lou
I had to look up your ‘Q’, very cool. I hope it helps you in every way you can get benefits out of it.

Super congrats for 30 days!!! Just think good ol’ meat/seafood fish and fowl you love to eat and go all in and go for it. We got your support here if ya need it!!

@coopdawg
You are a die hard Ketovore, more carnivore I think than keto plan so a little walk like that shouldn’t hurt ya, but in maybe the guts and rear end :wink: like ya said :100:

Times are horrible out there, key being think more about getting an ice freezer and stocking meat cause meat will keep you surviving ya know vs other stuff, but I get ya. I am a ‘prepper’ type personality so I know what you are feeling, like the ‘big change’ is going down out there and there is gonna be more shortages of this and that and big economic upheavels are happening now and countries are just vying for dominance and making moves and and and…yea I get ya on it all.

@FrankoBear and @JJFiddle
cool there are covid pills, didn’t know that. hubby is improving quickly but he says his whole body is a trainwreck of hurt and his head is just filled but he is moving now and took a shower which I said, go take a damn shower to him! and he is now eating a small piece of brisket. If a sickie can eat a piece of brisket you are more than alive to me LOL

Hit the smokehouse little store down the road and had a chat with them finally, been meaning to…they said I can order brisket or any other meats they smoke on the first of the month, 1 time only per month they will ‘do special orders’ as requested and I was like COOL, I can get a brisket smoked only with some raw salt rubbed on it and no spices. She said it will be 2 days later after placing my order I get it…so yea waiting on Aug 1 to get a brisket ‘my way’ to see how I like it.

I did buy the smallest brisket they had. I am avoiding most of the rub on the fat area but the meat and fat without the bark rub area still is devine so I am good with that. Ate a few slices already getting it home, hubby had a thin cut slice and rest for later tonight when I want more.

I am not cooking squat today for me or anyone. brisket all the way!

(Karen) #167

@JJFiddle I picked up 2 packs of what I thought was just plain smoked back bacon and when I got to checkout my daughter said oh I love that bacon but I can’t have it because of the maple syrup (she has PCOS) ARGHHH I don’t like it with maple syrup, just like you, it is so sweet and completely spoils the taste. They deducted it from my total before paying thankfully, phew! I would have been so annoyed to get home with that!

Oh my cupboards are still full with old keto stuff I am not sure I will touch :smiley: It’s good Alvaro’s bread can handle most of it :smiley: As most of them is powder. The spices are more problematic as I could use them in scrambled eggs and whatnot but I don’t need them! Only a few, very sparingly, my pork tongue water had some.

I only will talk about my food when it gets interesting, I think. Or if I track. I just eat normal things, pork, eggs and for today, the dish Alvaro made as well.
Oh tomorrow starts an interesting 5 day period… No dairy summer carnivore-ish or something. The plan is carnivore, of course but things happen. But it will be stricter than my normal carnivore due to no dairy… I don’t think I ever skipped them for 5 whole days (and didn’t have much this week either)…
Well I have a good enough meat variety and eggs are versatile too… It shouldn’t be hard.

IDK about others, it’s always way easier for me after a carbier day… My inner rebel (oh now that I think about it, it’s super silent lately…) is satisfied so I just eat my normal food that is better than anything carby under most circumstances. By the way, I already feel the changes again. I just don’t feel the desire to stray more than inevitable (see the low-carb non-carnivore but very meat-heavy dish we have now, I won’t say no to it - but it’s not my fav, it works better with eggs. and I prefer fattier pork. but it’s a good protein source and nice enough just could be better). I don’t have any rules today (apart from the no peanut July thing) - and I feel no temptation. I want my eggs and meat for food and it’s borderline annoying I can’t avoid my little extras. Wow. I may change later or occasionally but it’s pretty chill now.

Ours is big enough (we wouldn’t starve for a few months, I suppose) but not very useful for me. Except the legumes and the gluten, that’s satiating protein.
I don’t think I would want to live in apocalyptic times, I already dislike this world as it is. But we are probably pretty stubborn to live. But I need electricity and internet as a minimum (okay, electricity at least. without it we have no water). Food is less important - for a while, at least. I have plenty of fat packed inside my body.

Can I vent for a couple of paragraphs? One of my dearest friends, a woman of 72, is diabetic. Last time at the doctor, the doctor said LOW CARB and metaformin (of 2000 mg, which omg) because her A1C was 15.

I know it’s her life and all, but when she said, “sugars are running around 150 now” I said, "what do you eat? Breakfast, a sausage-egg croissant from the freezer, lunch, a Hot Pocket, and supper–which varied, but I wonder what that is!-- and after supper 2-3 frozen fudge bars. I said, “hon, that’s not low carb. You know it could probably cure your diabetes if you did it.” And I talked a little bit about enjoying carnivore because I don’t think she particularly likes veg. But the vent is, did her doctor give her 8 minutes of counseling on what low-carb is? I have to wonder. It seems like what my friend heard was “eat eggs and meat at every meal” and didn’t grasp that you don’t 1) douse it with 16 chemicals and 2) wrap it in bread.

Again, it’s her life, but it’s going to be a short one with a 15 A1C and no insulin. Also, she quartered her dose of Metformin without dr’s okay because “it makes me fat.” Darlin’ that’s not what is making you fat. (or it is because it’s preventing diabetic wasting, I suspect.) Did my best, but… her doctor needs to spend a bit of time with her, give her youtube channels, a constant blood glucose monitor or something to help her be compliant. smh.

(Karen) #170

Hot day today and set to be hotter tomorrow and Tuesday. Up reasonably early and did my stair runs while it was still bearable, then my daughter arrived at 9am and we went for an 8m walk. We could feel the temp rising as we walked around the reserve, river, canal and park … our original covid lockdown route. My feet were very hot when we got back to my house so the trainers and socks were quickly exchanged for sliders.20220717_194945 20220717_195010

Brunch about 1245 was cold roast pork cheese slices and Hungarian salami.

I hasten to add I only ate half the pork!
Dinner was 2 chorizo sausages and 2 fried eggs … not clean but very tasty. Must change fat tomorrow!

(Linda ) #171

So I’ve been taking note of my eating and I’ll eat prob more to a time than my hunger which is not a good thing…if im busy hours and hours pass with no hunger…

So instead of starting with food I’m gonna start with my coffee and only eat when I am truely hungry its now 3pm and I haven’t eaten …so it kind of proves to me im eating just because its become a time thing and that’s not a good thing if im not hungry no need to eat my body has more than enough fat on it to last til I do get hungry…so see how it goes…I will def eat when I’m hungry just not going to eat for the sake of eatjng…
@Fangs sorry to hear your hubby has covid hope he recovers quickly
@Keto_Lou metformin actually aids weight loss in high doses so def not what’s making her fat…

No more pork tongue for now. I consumed Alvaro’s fattier half that he so nicely left for me to eat.
Did I say enough times that pork tongue is one of the best tasting things ever? Because it is. It. Is. Awesome!, 10/10 with a complimentary star on it. (Do you do stars for grades there? We do. I even got 5* for maths in grade 7 when I got 13th in the country at a big Maths contest. my PE teacher asked me if I want 5 for my 3.2 average or it won’t be my only 4… :smiley: Oh good times. I had 3 for Maths in grade 5 as I had as many 1s as 5s. 1 is the worst, 5 is the best, you fail with 1 and pass with above).

We go to city shopping next Saturday! I want pork chuck! And I won’t say no if I saw pork tongues :smiley: But I can get that any time at the butcher, actually. But I still don’t visit the small town as it should be when Alvaro finishes work and it is super hot then. This week was better (I still didn’t go) but hot weather comes back.

Near every plant is miserable now (apart from the most watered ones. and the trees, they can handle themselves). We need to water our hazelnut bushes a lot (sometimes we never had to do before) and now even the big sunflower field is wilted…

Today we realized that a few thujas of ours aren’t dying. They are totally dead. Alvaro blames the climate change, probably rightfully and is glad that our pines are still pretty and green.

Oh and I shot these beauties yesterday:

One of my favorite butterflies and my photos turned out quite well too. Sharpness, visible tails and no ugly wilted flower in the bg :smiley: I am merely unsure about the right crop…

The plant is my majestic summer lilac in front of the kitchen window.

(Judy Thompson) #173

Beautiful pics, @Karen18 lovely pics of you & your beautiful daughter! I know the UK has been suffering high temps this week, stay cool! @Shinita what a beautiful butterfly and I bet those lilacs smell amazing!
Showered early but spent time reading in here and left for our walk at 7:30 this morning. Back for coffee at 8:30, started getting ready for church at 9, but not enough time to do everything (like packing a snack) before leaving at 9:30. Packing instruments, checking music etc ate up about 15 minutes. So, straight from church to the roadhouse where we play, and by the end of the 1st set there I was starving. We got home about 2:30. I fixed brisket, 2 hard boiled eggs, a cheese wrap and 2 slices liverwurst along with some mayo for the eggs. All very fatty and I was a little nauseous after. No pic although it was actually a pretty meal.
I don’t usually prepare that much food but I was really hungry by then! Shared the cheese with the puppy and gave her some of the liverwurst too. Lucky puppy.

Doing really well. Couldn’t bear the thought of eggs this morning (I eat them 300 mornings of the year, but every one in a while I say “enough!”) Bacon instead to satiety. I didn’t count how much. :slight_smile: I like not counting. Couldn’t eat supper again last night. I have to finish or freeze the chicken today. Defrosting a chuck steak for the next four days.

45 minute dawn walk. Watered my plants. Disturbed several thrashers pecking around. Noticed the prickly pear (there’s a giant one here) is laden with fruit, probably 300 of them. Mostly people who bother to harvest them (and oy, what a bother!) dump sugar in them and make jam. I’ve had one, years ago.They are a bit salty, fibrous, and while very high in carbs don’t taste sweet. So not at all tempting, but gorgeous when they turn red in late August.

@Karen18
as always fab pics K! you and DD looking very fine!!

@Keto_Lou
sorry on your friend and her situation. Hard to watch it all. My MIL had the best doc, telling her exactly not to eat the carbs, gave her info like, yes you can go to that fast food place with your friends and meet up, just eat a sausage egg biscuit and throw out the biscuit and she wouldn’t do anything this Doc said so?

@Azi, yes sometimes it can be a time thing trap kinda we fall into. I had to let go of the ‘eat at these times’ cause it is so attached to us to do just that. I don’t drink coffee and I never liked eating early, breakfast is a more rare time for even to think of eating so I just fell into the 11-1 range to eat first meal, which I make my bigger solid one, cause that one effects how much I wanna eat on my second meal around 5-7 time so I now have my ‘own time’ for eating that fits me. You can find you natural times also and that is always a good thing :slight_smile:

for the sake of eating…that always hit me on the road or on vacation times cause everyone wanted to stop when hungry but if I wasn’t I would eat anyway ‘just in case’ we wouldn’t stop when I was actually hungry LOL so yea I get that ‘sake of eating’ when it is forced on us to do so.

@Shinita, nice photos, I just love that smell of lilac!!

@JJFiddle, glad you got to your food when so hungry :slight_smile: nothing like a super busy day to screw up our eating times some days!!

---------------hubby on improve finally. day 4 and he is way more moving and kinda over it but still says he is icky sicky with joint issues but huge diff. so that is good. Me and kid fine.

defrosting ‘skinny cut’ ribeyes. not a fan of thin but when that is all that is in the meat aisle on sale, yes I buy them and make do. then I got chicken for later, just sautee in some butter and munch on it but might make some bacon with it, we shall see. Keeping zc super simple which is so best for me.

July still dragging along…I am kinda wanting August just to get out of July which seems to be never ending :wink:

Hmmm… I will check, I don’t remember a particularly good smell but it’s surely not strong, these aren’t like real lilacs, they are for the prettiness. They are horrible cut too, they wilt quickly. But they are blooming ALL SUMMER (unlike lilacs, those come and go too quickly and of course, earlier)… I love them. They produce lots of dry wood to burn too, that’s not a positive thing but it’s worth it :smiley:

And today the hummingbird hawk-moths arrived too! Surely some were around before but I didn’t see them. I am rusty so only made these… Next time I will know which settings to use. I must go for the moment when the wings slow down or else I have zero chance with this camera and lens, the time will be way too long for this super quick moth. And the quality is too poor even at iso1600 as it’s an old camera.

Next time I will bring food photo I promise! :smiley: It won’t be super interesting, I make fried pork shoulders this time. I am not too hungry yet but I will start to prepare my food soon I suppose… I am somewhat hungry with below zero appetite right now and the weakness when I need fuel started too but it’s not bad yet. It’s past 4pm, I had half of my workout, my strength is okay, was better but way worse too… I can do 12 squats without a weight now, it went quick but I expected that.
I had a lovely little cycling in the wildlife park forest!

We NEED rain. And probably won’t have much this week :frowning: Just hotness and sunshine.

About 3 for me but over 360 if it’s my first meal :wink: I can’t get bored of eggs unless I eat excessive amounts of too many in the same way. I have quite a few egg dishes to choose from :slight_smile: Only sponge cake is the impossible to get bored of kind but they require the most work so I don’t even try to overdo them, I eat about 6 sponge cake muffins a day (that’s 3 eggs) and that’s it, my other eggs are in very different form.

Nice day food joy wise, I already chatted about fruits elsewhere (and picked some) and now it’s about eggs and I haven’t even touched any food. Drank water, carbonated water and tea. I need the tea for variety. I have no coffee so a very low-coffee last week I do a no coffee one, I hope. We buy some in Saturday, surely cream too but I will try to behave, it would be bad to undo my great results this time!

And when I eat, there will be lovely fried fatty pork, yay! Did I ever eat fried pork shoulders I wonder… I know I strongly prefer pork chuck when roasted in the oven and it’s not the fat, it’s the taste but maybe it’s different fried…? We will see. After some days with cooked pork chop (my least fav cut in my least fav method - apart from the tomatoes, they make a difference. I would never eat it boiled unless I have no better option) I am sure I will really enjoy some fried pork :wink:

I put some jars to other, more logical places today. My non-sweet section got tiny after the weekend and it never will be big as they typically spoil easily and I won’t try again, only a few items are fine. And the store-bought ones. Alvaro’s Mom gave us some tuna in olive oil, I put that there. Expiration date in 2027 :smiley: (She gave us a whole jar of black olives too and I can’t imagine what to do with it, we don’t like olives though I can eat the black ones. Like, 3 per year. If I must.)

I wonder if I should buy chicken frames again. I think so. I don’t like chicken as they are tasteless here (or super expensive and still worse than pork especially satiation wise) but Tofu was so happy when I fed her a tiny bit of pork chop… Chicken frame costs almost nothing and it has lots of meat and it’s even edible for us if I spice it right (I can make a soup, I just must add pork too)… Not much work regarding getting the meat off the bones (though I like playing with that :D), just a few thicker pieces and the cats will be happy with the rest.
I think I saw duck frames before but never turkey ones! Why, I like turkey best…

@Shinita
yea to me in the pic it looks more like a ‘butterfly bush’ cause I had a few in the yard to attract butterflies and such and they are pretty but not ‘a true lilac’ as lilacs are.

they are close in look but not the same:
pic of true lilac
th%20(34)

pic of butterfly bush:
th%20(35)

the butterfly bush is a longer more skinny type of flowering bush and that is the ones I had

Hello Lovelies!!!

Welcome @Keto_Lou !!!
@FrankoBear … Very sorry to hear about your Uncle. =(
@Karen18 … You look marvelous!
@Fangs … I miss you!

Lots has happened with MIL since last week. I’ve had to remove myself from the family situation temporarily. Having a voice of reason that falls on deaf ears is beyond frustrating. And, due to my own past - there is a need to emotionally safeguard what is left inside. So, taking a short break from family, not MIL.
Other news, my foot bone is broken. Been walking on it all this time, and I had a broken metatarsil, tendonitis, plantar fascitis, yada yada. Got to wear one of those giant, inflatable footboot things to work now.
We had a fuse blow in the middle of the night, and the meat freezer began to thaw. I’m cooking roughly 20 pounds of beef now.
Got to go to work. Have a good one all.

(Robin) #179

Wise move to distance yourself from situations like that. Family dynamics can be messy and tricky in the best of times.
Good to hear from you and sorry about your foot!

Yep, it’s butterfly bush aka summer lilac. In Hungarian it’s summer lilac too, the butterfly thing was new to me but good name, ours is full with butterflies all day.

No food photo yet but I fried my cute amount of pork and ate a bit. Way less than I expected.
I started to eat at 5pm but I didn’t start to make my food yet (oh yes, that’s usually a mistake). I had 3 soft-boiled eggs and then got out the smoked pork chuck and a little brisket from the freezer. It wasn’t enough but I wasn’t really hungry anymore.
Then I fried my pork (1 hour) and ate some. And an hour later another few bites. I got satiated super quickly.

Guesstimation says 1450 kcal, 3g carbs - yeah, that happens when I run out of dairy and eat exactly zero extras. Only meat and eggs for me today! 70% fat, it’s probably a bit less as I got (a disappointingly little) lard from my meat and didn’t touch the fattiest bites. They need some more frying.

I thought it’s impossible not to eat any fruits when picking them multiple times a day but nope, no such accidents, the only thing I consumed was some own blood, the thorns meant business today…

So it was a success. Even if I eat at night, it will be a little pork to go over 120g protein and that’s it. But I try to avoid that.

A bit low-cal for a workout day but maybe I ate much yesterday. Hard to tell as I didn’t track and while I ate in a big eating window as it’s normal for me in weekends, I didn’t eat very fatty (or carby. nope, I ate pretty well, not as perfect as today but still). Maybe that’s why I felt the need for a sausage quite late…

So I have new goals for this week.

• skipping lunches (easy, it’s not like I get hungry that early)
  • no dairy (as I haven’t any apart from a tiny butter and hard cheese, it’s basically a given… unless I get upset and go and buy sour cream or quark… but I won’t)
  • pure carnivore if possible (I am more hopeful after today than before). well kind of pure, I have nothing against a little processed meat but I only use it when needed. And tomorrow I plan to use up my leftover 50g bacon.

So nothing hard, probably.

@Secondbreakfast: Sorry to hear about your troubles…