Jerky Jubilee ZC July!

My brain has problems today too, mood as well, something in the air… I am not particularly sensitive to weather but something is off now. Maybe unusual air pressure, IDK, my walk wasn’t refreshing at all despite not too high temperature and breeze :frowning: Just lack of sunshine doesn’t do this to me. Oh well…

I still have leftover meat as yesterday I had so little. So I don’t worry about what to eat today either :slight_smile: But got out the 2 cute pork tongues from the fridge, I will cook them later. I wonder what else one can do with tongue. It’s very very basic here to cook them in spicy water and cover with paprika. The latter is mandatory, I tried it without and nope, not nearly as good. But maybe I can do something else with it… Not stew as it’s tiny and the point is making it more carnivore, not less… I will search for recipes but tell me if you have some good idea! I know I don’t find it just simply cooked good enough after I tried the traditional way. And I have no problem with that, it’s still perfectly fine in my carnivore-ish but it’s good to have some other options… It would be good to find one that works with other pork too. Tongue is very close to normal pork, just a bit more special :wink: I am looking forward to eat it tomorrow and later (I will cook it in the evening so I am not sure I will taste it today).

Maybe some sauce. Sour cream and mustard, maybe yolk… My carnivore has no zillion options and that helps a lot :smiley: A too indulgent woe makes experimenting tiresome, I have too many ideas.

2 close meals. I ate as much as I just could, without much appetite. 1300 kcal. The usual, I even found a sausage in the fridge.

Weekend will be a tad (more) off, Alv makes a popular traditional low-carb vegetable dish and this time we will put a lot of pork chop into it (it’s very traditional to put meat into it though I usually used eggs all my life) :smiley: I told him I will go for the meat pieces anyway so he better make it super meaty. We have 1.36kg pork chop and it will be a big open fire dish! Usually we make it in a pan so it’s so tiny (even with the eggs) that it’s more like an appetizer… But not this time.
Due to the impossibility (and weekend), I will stop tracking again. I think this week was good, one day with surplus, the others with a deficit? I don’t even remember when I did that last time, maybe the first November after trying out carnivore. Lean pork is super effective.
Today is fattier than usual, it’s almost 65% again as I had less lean pork, a sausage and twice as much bacon as yesterday. Sadly, together with low-cal it means my protein is unusually low, around 100g, significantly below my safe 120g but maybe it will work. If not, I will eat something else later, it’s totally impossible right now.

(Karen) #143

So everything was ready to go this morning. Did my stair runs had a bath washed hair in readiness to go straight to tea dance this afternoon after my lunchtime finish. Took next weeks workwear in with me to store in my locker for my runs in on wed and thur.

First week in New job over for weekend and still feeling comfortable. I appear to be retaining more than I expected so it has been a positive experience and the time doesn’t drag like listening to prisoners phone calls!
Lunch was a repeat of yesterdays, cooked chicken and butter but no hard boiled eggs today.
Super afternoon dancing then home for dinner and again cold pork cheddar and special butter followed by 2 scrambly duck eggs.

My beautiful scented rose.

@FrankoBear loving your piccie :heart:

(Judy Thompson) #144

We’re making progress on the new office/studio/craft room, hubby’s got all the shelves up now and I’ve been sorting music today. So many things coming out of boxes with very little idea where they will go - frustrating working in the kitchen with the countertops full of teapots that need to be displayed, and hubby’s overworked reaching high spots for me!

Went for my walk with Mimsy this morning but she was being so stubborn, just wouldn’t walk, kept stopping and pulling back on the leash. I got frustrated and put her back in the fence and went on, and she ran alongside me inside the fence way up to the main road, where she spotted an armadillo and stopped to yap at it! I only walked to the end of our fence then and turned around, so not a very long walk, and she stayed out there and barked at the critter for 2 more hours til hubby couldn’t take it and went and fetched her. I wanted to test and see how long she would actually stay out there, but he said she couldn’t stop herself and would stay until she dropped. After a cooling off period she was okay to go out again and didn’t head for the woods to find her playmate… whew!

I had 2 fried eggs and 2 pieces sausage cooked in ghee about 10 this morning, Bob Evans sausage labeled “hot.” It sat fine with me. I hadn’t tried eating hot sausage since January when I started ZC but now getting a little more adventurous to see what will work.
At about 1 I fixed some of the brisket, warmed in the pan the eggs were cooked in. I couldn’t eat a lot of it and it’s very fatty.

My sciatica has been really bad the last few days. I have an appointment with a new doctor (first appointment in Texas) next Thursday, so I’ll ask him if there’s more that can be done. I’m looking forward to the lab tests, since I’ve lost about 45 lbs and things should look better with A1C and blood sugar, since last time it was done, which was before the pandemic.

(Robin) #145

Congrats on that lost 45!

I’m up and rarin’ to go. Have to wait 20 minutes for sufficient sun to take my morning walk, so I’ve been tidying for a half hour, putting away laundry i hung yesterday, and even making my bed, which I seldom do.

I had a seven-hour food day yesterday. Not eating. That was my shopping + prep time! I baked two pounds of bacon, roasted a whole chicken, waited for it to cool, deboned it, made a stock over two hours with the bones and neck and a slice of onion, wrapped everything. Ate maybe a piece of bacon the while taking pieces out of the pan, then came home and ate what I had planned to be half the chicken with skin but ended up wanting only a quarter of it. Calories lower than I like to let them drift, but I wasn’t hungrier than that.

It was a lot of work, but the bacon will last three weeks, and the chicken four nights. Part of the work was cutting up a 8.5 and 9.5 pound chuck roast into two- or three-day portions, wrapping them, weighing them, and labeling them.

My first tomato is pretty red, so I’ll have to decide soon if I want to do six days carnivore, one day keto, or not. It is a pretty thing, that tomato.

devil in sheep’s clothing :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

HAHA

------------great posts on the board everyone!

I am brain dead again.

Hubby has full on covid. Caught at ICU hosp. with his mom.
Luckily not the chest but hot/cold chills and very sicky icky right now. We have little home kits we got from his mom’s house and his mom was transferred back to rehab since hosp. can’t do more, she is stable but Doc said, another go down like this, it is lower chances she will pull out of it but she is very sick still so?

So since his mom has covid and the rehab area has it all over there, they said they would take her, covid and all, and they are gonna quarantine her for like 2 wks but that is fine, she ain’t leaving that rehab bed anyway…

but hubby thought, darn, so he tested himself and bam, fast big ol’ postive and I tested and I am negative. I feel wonderful :slight_smile: but he is out for the count for a while. wait and see how fast back from recovery on it.

today is steak and chicken. eating bit of leftover alfredo and done with that cause I can’t push that alfredo too much :wink:

I was kinda pulling above it all and finding me again thru the crazy and now I feel dragged down the dumps again but life moves on, so will I.

ZC strong thru Jerky July, I will. Something firm and solid and let’s me have some inkling of control I feel I do have in life, so I love my zc plan :100:

(Robin) #148

It will be interesting to see how you do with the tomato, after a few days carnivore. That’s when my body started alerting me to things that upset it, or caused lethargy, or swelling, etc. So introduce one thing at a time and you can learn so much!

That’s super-good advice. I’d eaten some of the squash I’d grown in June, but I’m so sick of it already (not sick from it, just can’t bear the thought of another bite for about a year!) that I’m already giving all it away. Both are low oxalate fruits (fruits botanically–as I grow them, I have a hard time thinking of it any other way), but it would be fascinating to see if I lose this deep sleep and amazing clarity upon waking from just one medium tomato. If so, then I know.

I can relate. Our 3rd tomato takes its sweet time… But it surely will be beautiful and big like the first 2. We only have two raging fruit seasons right now, not my favs, thankfully.

Too hot outside for open fire cooking so I just got out something from the freezer and added freshly bought processed stuff (tiny village supermarket, there were about 2kg meat in total, all pork but not what I wanted, not the chuck on sale… well it happens. so I bought 2 packets of my beloved sausages) and we both ate that.

jul16

Alvaro (my SO, as we aren’t all the old ones around) ate one sausage and the smoked pork chuck (with his carbs, obviously) and I ate everything else (sausage, brisket, bacon and eggs. it’s just the eggs stucking to the bacon part of the pan, I had a proper one using 3 eggs). And more eggs. Around noon as I tend to get hungry early in the weekend.
I ate as much for this meal as for the 3 meals yesterday (~1600 kcal) but my protein is unusually low. Oh well, I planned a dinner anyway, I will focus on protein there (unless I will be really hungry to eat a bigger meal). Some lean pork as I have no other options unless I seriously start to eat egg whites, well it’s not impossible but meat makes a more proper meal :smiley: We will see what I will fancy.

I strongly prefer when I eat some proper meat, I must say. But the above (and some cheese, I need to get off from it as we have little left and Alvaro needs it zillion times more than me. oh and we have NO sour cream! I barely ate any since days but it was just super expensive in the village and I know I can live without it so I wanted to experiment. no dairy for me for the next almost one week, oh my. this will be odd) works in a pinch. But next time I get out my little fried meat from the freezer as well. Eggs are great but they added up too easily now, some lean pork is more effective, I know that since long… But I ate at an impressive deficit (for me, at least) this week, I probably needed some more calories anyway.

Oh, a few days is enough for something? I always feel my experiences aren’t relevant at all as I only do weeks pure carnivore at a time (and that was in my own style as well, I ate very little meat right then and it was mostly processed… it’s different now but I always have some tiny extras nowadays).
My experiences are the same as before: the smaller is my total carb intake in the last week, the easier I handle some carbs. After carnivore times, I am pretty safe for one day, almost impossible to feel unpleasant due to eating carbs :slight_smile: (There is a way but I need to want that and well, I am a hedonist so I don’t.)
That’s cool, actually but I shouldn’t overdo it. That’s why I have a bit similar ideas like @Keto_Lou sometimes. I try to do something close to carnivore-ish during weekdays and relax a tad in weekends. But this is a vague idea and I am not sure it’s the best… But I won’t do fully carnivore in summer, that’s pretty sure as whenever I try it for ONE day, I blew it. It sounds easy but it isn’t. Oh well, I am quite pleased with my weird thing I have…

Trying out non-carni items can be informative though. Nothing is problematic for me in small amounts but it’s interesting to see when I lose interest for one reason or another. Like I don’t enjoy most vegs now and I feel odd things too sweet (like the cucumber last time. still don’t understand that one). These just happen suddenly at some point, it’s interesting.

(Karen) #151

@JJFiddle Sorry to hear you’re suffering with Sciatica, not pleasant but well done on that 45lbs gone! Thats amazing. Do you check on the carbs in the sausages, i have, so far, found that sausages with anything in them usually have too many carbs in them hence I always plumb for cheap plain old pork sausages.
@Fangs bless last thing you need is hubby down with covid and your MIL. It is rife in the prison with 3 wings locked down in an attempt to contain it. We all knew this would happen once they dropped the restrictions and let visitors in and contact in visits and no masks etc. Everyone has just got so complacent. We are all supposed to be wearing masks but again however a lot are wearing them under their noses or worse still under their chins! Talking about chins just keep yours up, I know you are all going through the mill at the moment. :pray:

Well I have had a very busy day exercise wise! Up at 7.30am and 100 Stair runs done first thing this morning then ran to CrossFit and did a pairs WOD which was crazy gassy and leggy and sicky :rofl: but of course really good and I loved every minute of the pain … not! … and there was running involved!

Then ran home again, put a few bits away that I had brought home from my lockers at work. Watered a very parched garden then went to meet Raymond at Beeston (local town about 3m) got my neighbours parents, who had been sitting with them catching up, to give me a lift and they dropped me halfway o walk the rest else I wouldn’t have got there by our meeting time!

Had a meal at the cafe which I forgot to take a pic of. It was 2 beef burgers 2 eggs and bacon, all done too cleanly on the griddle but went down well as I really needed some fuel by this time… midday.

Walked around the charity shops and managed to find some sandals for work as the pumps I bought prior to starting in civi’s were a bit uncomfortable and too flat. I found 4 pairs including some ankle boots for when the weather changes. Also got some more comfy tops and a nice bird cage to put a plant in and hang in garden.

Walked back home, this time all the way and stopped off at lidl and got some steaks, some prawns and some deli meats. Went across the road to the retail park to M&S for some cheese and more French butter as I am running low, bought a running rucksack and some bacofoil and walked home!

Cooked up 2 picanha steaks , ate both with French butter and had a few slices of med cheddar afterwards. Feeling very good and definitely satiated though I may enjoy some deli meat later!

As soon as I got in the sketchers and sock were off and my very hot feet are now fairly cool on the ceramic kitchen floor ahhhh … can be a curse in the winter though lol!

I had some curried lentils today, with some bacon.

:expressionless:

I’ve been doing keto for a while now …but today I slipped.
That stuff has been in my larder for years. 2 minute microwave stough.

For my second meal (my big one lasted for 6 hours, very rare but well, it was OMAD sized… just too early for me not to get hungry again), I realized I totally forgot about my pork tongues and ate one.
Yum.

And while I didn’t really need another but of course I tasted the food made by Alvaro (I helped with the fire, we almost burned the blackberry vines from 2021…) And it turned out that I still welcome some proper meat (as I already knew beforehand, my bowls were meat heavy :)).
But now I am really satiated.

Nice day eating wise.

“I’ve been doing keto for a while now …but today I slipped.”

@coopdawg recognising a slight slip in the lentils, then acknowledging it, and then shifting back on to the dietary plan that is working for you, is wholly human. Man, who would want to be a perfectionist? I think it’s way too stressful.

How many grams of carbs did the lentil packet contain. It probably works out at not too much over quota. And they’re lentils. People in the mainstream would be applauding your healthy choice. The eaten aberration will pass, and pass through. The important part is what you eat next. The bacon was a good choice.

Yesterday was NoFUN breakfast at 2pm. It was the other slice of Scottish Square Sausage fried in lard, with three chicken eggs and some melted Jarlsberg cheese. 1 coffee with cream.

That fuelled up a one hour walk hike with the dog. We have been hill climbing in the bush land behind the local beach, following sandy fire break trails. Going up gets the burn going in the butt and thighs. Heading back down is full of fresh air, winter wildflowers, and beach views.

Last night I ate a ‘bucket of meat’ as Mrs. Bear named it. I had put baked chicken wings and a baked lamb shank into an empty salad bowl. Take that! Salad bowl. I had cooked a double dinner so I could have leftovers. No cutlery, just ate through it with greasy fingers. Great tactile experience, and very satisfying.

(Judy Thompson) #156

The ground pork sausage I get always says 0 carbs… I had some pork jowl (bacon) today that listed brown sugar as an ingredient, and it was BLOODY AWFUL, tho hubby seemed to love it as he scarfed it right down. I stopped after 1 bite as the sugar just neutralized any flavor it might have originally had!

(Judy Thompson) #157

A nice home day today, 2 students online this morning and more unpacking. I play for the little ranch church here but have switched from violin to mandolin because the guitar player quit and there needs to be rhythm between the 2 of us that are left. So I’m starting to transpose the hymnbook, time consuming but they sing everything in a different key than it’s written, none of them read music, and it drives me crazy! I’ll be taking my tablet in with the transcribed PDFs on it to play tomorrow. In a few years I’ll have the whole hymnbook done and it will be worth it if anybody else comes in who can read! :joy::rofl:

Today after our morning walk and coffee/cream, nothing to eat til 12:30 after lessons, then a slice of fried brisket, fried in the grease from pork jowl which looks like bacon but seems to be prepared with brown sugar, and was terrible, I tried it but didn’t finish it. Luckily the dog enjoyed my leftovers :slight_smile:
Tonight, a cheese wrap with chicken salad.

Not a terribly hungry day but I’m tired and sore from lifting music out of boxes! I have to figure out a way to have the box on a table so I don’t have to bend down as much.

@Keto_Lou Just wondering if you’ve listened to Dr. Anthony Chaffee’s podcasts (The Plant Free MD) or read any analyses of the poisons/toxins in plants? He said that in medical school an instructor told the class that in brussels sprouts alone there were 160 different toxins. When someone asked if he gave his family lettuce he said, “I never let my kids eat lettuce.” I mean, a beautiful ripe tomato makes my mouth water as much as the next person but the science behind carnivore is so powerful!
When I started carnivore I read about it from Maria Emmerich (whom I followed for 10 years on keto), and ran across her carnivore cookbook. The 1st 60 pages of that book are science behind the toxins in plants!
Yes they are beautiful and I always say I love them, in the present tense - but wow, my hair is coming in dark again and I have no body odor! Staying completely away from them has no parallel in my experience.

(Judy Thompson) #158

I’m still throwing stuff out, just finding little pockets of non ZC and tossing it. Yesterday all the vegetable oils came out of the base cabinet and gone. I also found a lb of almond flour unopened, gone. A bulk bag of Italian seasoning - trashed. I’ll send the unopened bag of garlic powder to my brother, doesn’t expire until 2024.
There is a whole cabinet of artificial sweeteners, waste of space but were so expensive! Vanilla extract I made myself, superb stuff, hopefully I can find a home for those because they were pricey!
Anyway, I don’t have time or space and I’m lucky to have a hubby with simple tastes who’s happy to ride along and just add his crackers and potatoes, lol

Yikes, with blur spoilers this post is unreadable! :rofl:

@Fangs Lord, you’re going through it girl! Hubby will come through, hope mil is ok! Such a lot on you this year but you’re the poster child for ZC strong though adversity. Your food is the least of your worries right now as you’re sailing through the simple life on your own!
Is hubby eating anything? Lucky it’s just upper respiratory and not the deep chest cough. These days covid can last just a few days, hope that’s the case for him.

This is a Pfizer experimental drug my guitar student got last week and it cleared his covid in a day or 2, bam! They said it was reserved for just elderly and patients at risk, but he’s a type 1 diabetic, 21 years old but the doc said, yes, T1d, high risk, ok.
But maybe your mil can get this drug.
Good luck @Fangs! We’re all pulling & praying for ya here!

Good morning, lovely people! I decided on my own to give carnivore a full 30 days before I run any experiments. Then if I feel like including one low-oxalate veg every week, I can see what it does to me.

Finishing up the chicken the next two days. It makes me full, but I do not like how low the calories are (I’m still plugging in a meal here and there to see that and macros). I’ll put butter or bacon mayo on it these next two nights. I’d expected to want an entire half a chicken, but I just don’t! I know some of you eat two pounds of meat per day but no way can I. A pound plus four eggs is about right for me. Occasionally a piece of cheese.

I have jerky and Whisps around, but am avoiding that for now, just to keep the eating clean. Though I’ve never had problems with cheese. And for me Whisps or Parm Crisp are self-limiting. Half an ounce and I’m done for a few days. I think my first largish bag of Parm Crisps lasted me six months. If I’m getting the protein, I’m not a snacker. On SAD, however, I could have won snacking competitions.

Did my dawn walk and picked weeds for another half-hour of good UVA. Last night I ran through an hour of Qigong, trying to stretch out a little kink in my neck. (or one doesn’t run through it, I suppose.) It didn’t work for that, but it was a pleasant way to end the day so maybe I’ll keep that up. I can see myself facing the sunset and doing it (and I can see my neighbors yelling “what the ?@$* are you doing out there?”)

today is a new day. No one expects us to be perfect. You’ll do better today. (hope you don’t have to white-knuckle any cravings!)