Jack La Lanne "Sugarholics"

(Ross) #1

Jack La Lanne had it figured out 50 years ago.
Funny, back then, mid 1960’s or so, everyone was still skinny yet Jack knew something was VERY wrong. Wise man.

(Ross) #2

Really not too different from Banting / LCHF

He was falling into the “fat is bad” gig already. Keys was a major influence in the States unfortunately.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

I know, old thread. But many people had it figured out back then. I was raised by my grandmother, who would now be 115. She said that starches and sugar caused diabetes. It was common sense. She refused to switch to margarine, and we got pasta once every two weeks as a treat. I grew up on fatty meat. People who do the research come up with the facts. But, to her credit, she had majored in physical education. And even back in the 1920’s, there was nutritional knowledge (a la Banting?) I started eating junk once I moved out!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

All that honey and fruit??? And bread? You are absolutely right - he was falling for the party line.

(Ross) #5

Could have been from Banting’s letter on corpulence!
Otherwise, back before insulin was a treatment option for T2DM doctors did prescribe a LCHF diet. You are right, we are re-discovering what was common knowledge to our great grandparents!

(Chris) #6

Jack was great. He had a quote that was fabulous… “I cant die, it would be bad for my image”

(Ross) #7

Jack understood his body and lifestyle was his best form of advertisement.

If only the fat and sick pro-carb dietitians would follow the same marketing plan!