I've been having a hard time the past couple of weeks

Hey Kevin, don’t be so hard on yourself buddy! Remember, it’s a marathon not a sprint. I certainly don’t want to misadvise you because everyone’s different. But I will tell you that I hop in and out of ketosis every now and then just to spice things up. I also incorporate intermittent fasting along with the keto for a “turbo boost” of sorts that really helps keep the weight off. But bottom line–me–if I want pizza, I eat pizza but use it as a reward at the end of a keto productive week. I moved to Florida to lose weight and do the keto and have vlogged my journey on youtube in a lighthearted attempt to not take things too seriously. You will be fine brother, just stay the course and be patient. We have all experienced what you are going through. Cheers!

(traci simpson) #42

Keto is what I want. Why would people want to eat foods that got them into the predicament that they are in currently? The whole reason for KETO is to get healthy and eat a better diet is it not?

(Bunny) #43

It is temporary and let me re-emphasize ‘TEMPORARY,’ a blip, not a flat line, it is up to every individual to be self-disciplined about their quote “addiction.” If you lack-self control then that is a personal issue? That is exactly why people get frustrated and just quit keto because they do not look at the whole picture; thinking every little carb they eat is a flat line and going to destroy their ketogenic life style, and that kind of thinking belongs more in the realm of unfounded hysteria rather than a well formulated plan to be disciplined enough to follow though with your scheduled eating goals?

What is neat about the ketogenic diet is you build-up a health reserve; that is the additional benefit to being healthier? Eating sugar (carbs) gets burned up immediately rather than sitting around in the body turning into fat?

E.g. When you drink or eat high fructose corn syrup mixed with sucrose in most foods; you are really drinking or eating fat in reality! That 3 grams or more of sugar in that bacon you just bought is THEIR FOR A REASON; because it is scientifically formulated to keep you addicted to carbs on purpose, by design, by the manufacture and scientists to make $$$$, so how are you going to resist it, if you do not have a health reserve? MAYBE A WELL FORMULATED KETOGENIC LIFESTYLE?

I can now basically eat anything occasionally here and their and still remain in ketosis with exercise, fasting, caloric restriction (keto) etc. as Dr. Peter Attia describes below:

“…Since the first metabolic priority for ingested carbohydrate is glycogen replenishment, I can, in this setting, consume probably somewhere between 60 and 120 gm of carbohydrate following this ride and stay in ketosis. Why? Because those carbohydrates are prioritized to replenish my glycogen stores AND I am highly insulin sensitive. Note the AND in this last sentence. (The especially astute reader will realize some of this glycogen debt will be replenished by protein and glycerol, the latter of which is liberated by lipolysis – see post on fat flux for a primer). Clearly I didn’t consume this amount of carbohydrate on my daughter’s birthday, so why was I out of ketosis the next day? Because my glycogen debt was not high. Of course, I knew this and didn’t really care. But, if I know my wife wants to go out for sushi one night, and I know she’s going to make me eat a California roll, I can “rig it” such that I show up to dinner with a glycogen debt appropriate enough to enjoy them without significantly interfering with my liver’s BHB production. …” …More

(traci simpson) #45

Hysteria? NOPE

(Gerald Young) #46

Thanks for the link. That website is full of solid information. Cheers.

(Susan) #47

Hey! I think I will finally start an accountability thread, even if it’s only me who reads it. Getting started again has been harder than I thought; but have done so and lost about 6 pounds and clothing is starting to get loose. My cholesterol is coming back down and generally feel better. Tracking what I eat & drink is apparently a must for me — back to myfitnesspal for recording, it’s easy & don’t really mind doing it.

(MooBoom) #48

Good for you Sue! :raised_hands: