I've been having a hard time the past couple of weeks

(Kevin Vandenboss) #1

I’ve been having a really hard time these past couple of weeks. I’m about 3 1/2 months into keto, and have had some excellent results between fat loss, more energy, and my joint pain being almost gone. I’ve had some random temptations here and there, but nothing I couldn’t quickly get over. However, these past couple weeks have been a real struggle. All I’ve been wanting is crap food like pizza, cake, spaghetti, etc. and I’ve been a lot more hungry than I have been. Its been getting kind of depressing actually.
I’ve had a lot of extra stress the past month, which I’m sure is part of it. I’ve also been getting lazy about tracking my food every day.
I feel like I just need to give myself a kick in the ass and get back on track with meal tracking and prepping, but am lacking the motivation to do so.
I’m not here looking for anyone to give me the answer to fix it all, but just wanted to put it vent a bit to some people that understand.

(John) #2

So, why did you start this in the first place? Not being a smartass, that’s a first step to helping you find your motivation again. You don’t even need to answer here, you need to answer for yourself.

Finding your “WHY” can make all of the difference.

(Paul H) #3

Hey Kevin, You sound pretty dang normal to me… I think you have found the things and ways that get you ahead physically. So combine that with the things that stimulate you mentally. even if we do the same thing and get the good results… burnout will happen. Sure we all have moments of question… maybe you need to set new goals…maybe you just need to relax and love yourself for the long term…so you bust out…whatever… like all things it’s really just a matter of getting back on track.

(MooBoom) #4

Happens to all of us at some point. I fell off the wagon epically, twice, when I started focusing on all the things I had ‘given up’ and all the obstacles I perceived.

Back and strong for 6 months now because I consistently focus on the benefits, the health gains, the things to celebrate. If a negative pops up I objectively assess it against whether it’s something in my power to control or not. If in my control, I sort it out. If not, I accept it with grace and move on.

We see that which we focus on- focus on the good. You’ll be ok.

(Susan) #5

Oh wow. Was just about to create a very similar post when I came across yours. Totally understand what you’re saying and going through. I had started Keto almost 2 years ago and had great success, lost 20 pounds fairly quickly and had some great non-scale victories as well. Even wrote a few posts (Controllng PMS “hunger”, The Trouble with Avocados, and my favorite I See Fat People) because I was feeling pretty confident in this new WOE. Had maintained the loss and was a bit discouraged this last December because it seemed I was stuck there…then in January too many life things combined with the weather and I just quit. Would still eat my Keto things but went a bit carb crazy; combine that with little exercise and as of today I’m right back where I started pre-Keto weight and size wise. I’m finally finished beating myself up and getting over the disappointment. I know this way of eating is the best for me because not only was I losing weight and just generally feeling better, my lab work was greatly improved on 2 consecutive visits. The last results from February not so much, so have motivation there as well. It’s been hard to accept that I messed up so badly, but at least I know what to do to fix it — forgiving myself will be key for sure. Perhaps I just wasn’t ready for the change? Anyway, all this to say that I’m so glad that you’ve realized what’s going on so quickly, it will be a bit easier to get back on track. You’ve got this!

(MooBoom) #6

So do you @KetoSue! Your journey doesn’t have to be perfect to be of value.
Have you started an accountability thread? Please consider it I’d love to follow your progress :slight_smile:

(Alec) #7

Kevin
I think this is a fairly common experience. It does not mean you are on the wrong path, it means your previous addictions are still hanging around. This is normal.

I have stumbled and fallen and tripped and then stumbled again, and my trigger is always stress. My advice is to hang in there, do your best, and don’t give up. Eat vaguely keto if that is what you need to do. Look for the merest hint of motivation to get back to full bore keto, and use it. Magnify it, revel in it, indulge it. Just avoid, if you can, the worst carbs… sugar especially.

Take care, and hang in there.

(Scott) #8

Me too, come to think of it I have never tracked anything on keto WOE. The thing I like the best about this way of eating is that tracking is optional. I get up each day and limit carbs and I am done. Coming from the MFP caloric deficit model this is way easier for me. If pizza is calling you it may be time to give fathead pizza a try.

(Edith) #9

It could also be that you are starting to see some vitamin or mineral deficiencies. If your diet is not well formulated you may have drawn down some of your stores and now your hunger is increasing to get in more nutrients. Check to make sure your electrolytes are good and that your diet is as nutrient dense as possible. One can eat keto and still be eating crap food.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I found myself in the same boat a couple of times and just needed to change my food choices up. It was so easy to do keto because I was eating the same thing for almost every meal and I really started to get bored and crave carbs. For me getting into different food options and meal prepping helped tremendously. It was still easy, just gave me different choices. I don’t track but I do have most foods memorized so I do it in my head.

(hottie turned hag) #11

For me, carbs -though not high- in cheese and veg made me crave MORE CHEESE and veg thence making it easy to eat way too much of both.
Is it possible you’re eating a lot of cheese and/or veg and that’s triggering cravings? Just an idea.

Going to just meat, eggs and butter stopped a stall FAST and stopped the cravings as well and I was able to get that groove back.

Here’s a random adorable bird :bird: and some meat to cheer you up :cut_of_meat::poultry_leg::bacon:

('Jackie P') #12

I have just been reading the old post “I see fat people”, its a good read. I might add a comment to revive it!
Welcome back.

('Jackie P') #13

Sometimes having a good old moan to folk who understand is all it takes!
I wish you well and stay with us!

(Jennibc) #14

If you think it might be stress eating, this book, “The Upside of Stress” was a game changer for me. I don’t think I would have had the success I have had without having read it three years ago. https://www.amazon.com/Upside-Stress-Why-Good-You/dp/1101982934/ref=sr_1_3?crid=740Y7N5EZN8V&keywords=the+upside+of+stress+by+kelly+mcgonigal&qid=1557838430&s=gateway&sprefix=The+upside+of+stress%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-3

Also, she’s got a Ted Talk about the same topic, https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend?language=en

(Carl Keller) #15

I will just add that if you are using a lot of artificial sweeteners, this could be causing cravings. An incomplete sensation of sweetness can lead to a desire to completely fulfill it.

Also, I’ve read about how not getting enough sodium can also trigger cravings for sweet things.

https://www.thorne.com/take-5-daily/article/the-science-behind-sugar-cravings

(Britt) #16

Hi Kevin,

I too can sympathize. I’m currently having a hard time kind of like you are. The weather here is definitely the big culprit for me. I really struggle to eat right when I don’t get enough sunlight as strange as it may sound. I know I will be fine though and I think you will be too. Sometimes it takes struggling a little bit to remember why we want to continue to do keto and reap the benefits. It takes me feeling really yucky after eating sugar in particular ( like I did this past Sunday) to make me want to do better. I think most of us go through periods of “lower motivation” and just need some encouragement to get through it. Stick with it and it will get better again!

(Kevin Vandenboss) #17

Thank you for that, @JohnH . I did sort of forget about that these past couple of weeks and have just been hung up on the current struggle instead of my why. Thank you!

(Kevin Vandenboss) #18

Thank you @Paul28023. I think you hit the nail on the head with just relaxing a bit. Thank you!

(Kevin Vandenboss) #19

Thank you @MooBoom you’re right. As I started focusing on how I was struggling it just turned into this snowball of thinking about it more, struggling more, and so on.

(Kevin Vandenboss) #20

Thank you @KetoSue It helps a lot knowing that I’m not the only one. We’ll stick this out together!