ISO Definition of Keto way of eating that is defendable in an evidence based debate

(Bentley Davis) #1

Hello, I’m planning on moderating a debate on the healthiness of the Keto diet. To make sure the debate is valuable and doesn’t get into debating terms I’d like to find a link to a good definition that can be the basis of the debate. The Wikipedia pages are too vague. Any suggestions on links or specific unambiguous wording?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The Virta Health and Diet Doctor Web sites are both quite valuable. If you go on YouTube and search for lectures by Stephen D. Phinney, M.D., Ph.D., and/or Jeff Volek, R.D., Ph.D., you should learn some useful information and you will find that their slides give references to reliable studies on the ketogenic diet. It was Phinney and Volek who coined the term “nutritional ketosis,” defining it as a serum β-hydroxybutyrate level of 0.5 mmol/L or above.

Other researchers who have done relevant original research are Richard Feinman, M.D., Ph.D., Eric Westman, M.D., Sarah Hallberg, M.D., and Zoë Harcombe, Ph.D., to name a few. Good sources of information are the books Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes, and The Big Fat Surprise, by Nina Teicholz. Taubes and Teicholz are well-respected science journalists, and their books contain painstakingly exhaustive bibliographies of the relevant scientific literature.

There are also plenty of useful references in this forum.

(Bunny) #3

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that ketosis is natural but it usually happens when we are asleep where glucose dominates when we are awake. This happens irregardless of a higher carb diet if your metabolically healthy (not diabetic)?

Not eating a long time 4, 5 to 6 hours before we sleep is when we really burn the most body fat, not while we are awake? One of the reasons I like experimenting with CPAP machines.

Now we have this main stream idea that forcing the body into ketosis constantly ‘may be healthy‘ while awake and I think the jury is still out on that? Eg. Bio-ethics; Natural Biorhythms involving the Circadian Clock and deep Delta REM sleep?

So that may be one of many counter arguments in a debate?

What I’m pointing out here is what a lot of the pro keto advocates misunderstand or simply gloss over? It is even hard to find any information about it on the internet or any research papers?