Is your fasting blood glucose higher on low carb or keto? Five things to know -

(Pri ) #1

(Karen) #2

Great article. Not diabetic, but I love knowing how things work!

K

(Randy) #3

5. A word about LADA – Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults

If all of the information in this post does not help you understand your rising blood glucose on the low-carb diet, and your blood glucose continues to rise higher and higher, not only in the morning but at other times of day, there may be a potential issue of latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA), also sometimes called type 1.5 diabetes.10
Both Dr. Hallberg and Dr. Fung say they see LADA regularly among their patients who may have been misdiagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have LADA instead.

LADA is like type 1 diabetes in that antibodies are attacking the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, but it arises in adulthood, not childhood or adolescence. Diabetes researchers note that LADA also has features of type 2 diabetes, but the patients usually are thinner and progress to needing insulin faster because their insulin producing beta cells have been attacked by antibodies. The highest rates of LADA are found in Northern Europe, with up to 14% of type 2 diabetics actually having it.11
“I test serum C-peptide and insulin in everybody in my Intensive Dietary Management program,” notes Dr. Fung.” I re-check them over time and it often takes 6 months to 1 year to clinch the diagnosis. I would suspect about 5-10% of my type 2s are actually LADA.” Dr. Naiman has similar experiences and routines.12
Fortunately, just like type 1 or type 2 diabetes, the low-carb keto diet is a successful way for individuals with LADA to keep their blood sugar as stable as possible. If they need to eventually inject insulin, low-carb eating enables them to use the least amount of insulin necessary to keep high blood sugars in check. “It may not slow progress of the beta cell destruction, but low carb is a very successful therapeutic strategy to reduce reliance on medication,” notes Dr. Fung.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

This sounds like Troy Stapleton, an Australian radiologist who developed Type I diabetes in his early forties. He has an interesting presentation about his journey on the LCDU YouTube channel.

(Ronald Weaver) #5

That’s an interesting article. That might explain why my fasting blood glucose level is nearly always disappointingly high. It might even explain the peculiar sense of discomfort in my legs an hour or so before I get out of bed. At first I was putting it down to cramps and increased my magnesium and salt, but it’s not cramps, it’s more like something trying to be pumped into my leg muscles ?? Weird.
Maybe now it’ll go away now that I’ve read an explanation ?

(johnp71) #6

Omg I’m so glad to read this! I was so upset this morning after checking my blood glucose to see it was the highest I’ve ever recorded. I couldn’t understand how it was so high when I’ve been super strict since the beginning of the month. I’ve been low carb for almost 1.5 years so this all makes sense now.