Is this Keto friendly? Pictures in!

food

(Sg) #1

Hi, everyone!..as you know, yes I’m a newbie…I purchased some alfredo sauce mix a while ago and today I came across them…since I’m on keto now I don’t know is these are keto friendly.

I’d leave some pictures of nutrition facts and ingredients.

And Ingredients!

Thanks!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #2

I wouldn’t eat it due to the maltodextrin and the potato starch and the serving size is 1 tablespoon with 7 grams of carbs.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

First, you should ignore the organic in front of each ingredient. Water is about 14 grams / tablespoon. This is 11g. Of that 11g, 7 is carbs so 7/11 = 64% carbs. Not keto friendly. You could use 1 tablespoon on a dish and be 1/3 of your daily total 20 grams.

You should go for incidental carbs from leafy green vegs and not from maltodextrin and potato starch.

Anything with Maltodextrin I’d avoid while on keto.

And just the fact that they use ‘organic’ as an adjective for every single ingredient is probably enough reason to be skeptical.

(Sg) #5

Thanks you all for the quick response!..now I know about “Maltodextrin”…It feels good to know that. What about the heave cream with “carrageenan” mine has that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Here is a long list, but incomplete list of different names for sugars. https://www.organicauthority.com/energetic-health/50-other-names-for-sugar

(Mike W.) #7

Butter + heavy cream + Parmesan = Alfredo.

It’s a natural by-product of red seaweed and used as a thickener, but there’s a lot of concern that it can be carcinogenic, so probably best to avoid.

Maybe just buy pure 100% cream and hand whip to thicken.

(Carl Keller) #9

I love how this company is in love with the word ‘Organic’. They could slide “Organic Arsenic” in the ingredients and I bet some people would still buy it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I especially love the ‘Organic Natural Butter Flavor’ :smiley:

(Carl Keller) #11

They forgot “Organic” before “Sea Salt”.

Out of interest, just read the preparation instructions for the above ‘Simply Organic Alfredo Sauce Mix’ -

Just add 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1 1/2 tbsp. butter until butter melts.
2. Add packet contents to saucepan and stir until completely dissolved. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

So basically, make your own alfredo sauce with your own ingredients then add our powder mix. Utterly pointless! :rofl:

(Sg) #13

Yes, exactly the same…well, I guess I’ll give them away then, just wanted to know if I could still use these. Waste of money.

By the way, could you tell me if one (or various, or many) of these ingredients listed below are a big NO on keto or looks good for a keto diet:

Other Ingredients: Made with Love and: Coconut milk (coconut, guar gum), water, apple cider vinegar, tapioca syrup, mustard* (distilled vinegar*, water, mustard seed*, sea salt, turmeric*, paprika*, spices), Redmond’s Real Salt®, chia seeds, onion*, garlic*, guar gum*, black pepper*, parsley*, dill***
*** Organic. Contains: Coconut.**

All good except for the tapioca syrup which is just straight sugar.

(Sg) #15

Would do a major harm if I just take it? These ingredients are from a BBQ sauce. But does it still a big deal? just grabbing 4 TBSP?

Thanks!

How much carb/sugar per serving or for 4 TBSP for the BBQ sauce?

(Sg) #17

:smirk:Ow, that’s the great thing, all it’s ZERO.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. (28 g)

Servings per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 0
Fat Calories 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 210 mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g

All zero? Hmm that’s odd. What’s the brand of the sauce?

(Sg) #19

I correct MYSELF the first ingredients list is from a Ranch salad dressing:

https://www.vitacost.com/hilarys-organic-salad-dressing-dip-gluten-free-ranch-chia

The last one is from the BBQ SAUCE and guess what it doesn’t contains Tapioca Syrup!!! But not sure about the “worcestershire sauce” that is listed in the ingredients.

https://www.vitacost.com/walden-farms-calorie-free-barbecue-sauce-thick-spicy-12-oz

The brand is WALDEN FARMS.

Sucralose can spike some people’s insulin so be wary.