Is this Keto friendly? Pictures in!

food

(Sg) #21

And how do I know if it does spikes mine or not?..also about the “tapioca syrup” would it be that bad?

Both seem in very small amounts per serve so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. As long as it all fits in your <20g of carbs per day intake then it’s all good. Just don’t drink a whole bottle of sauce/dressing in one sitting. :smiley:

(Mike W.) #23

Ha! Ridiculous

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the Walden Farms BBQ sauce (you probably will after you try it anyway.) Most of their products, at least the ones I have tried, are awful and you will do better just making a batch of home made and you will be comfortable with the ingredients.

(Todd Batitis) #25

I don’t know abut the overall Walden Farms thing. Walden Farms is the brand of pancake syrup that Brenda Zorn recommends (pretty sure it was her) for her Keto Pancakes/Waffles that are made from Pork Rinds as it is similar in being all zeros and made with Sucralose. I tried it and found it to be fine, it isn’t pure maple syrup but it works and tastes fine especially when it is something you don’t have all the time.

I havent tried their pancake syrup (dont eat pancakes), so I cant comment. I would imagine that it is something that is easier bought prepared, rather than trying to make your own from scratch.
Their BBQ sauce I have tried (along with 2 salad dressings before I gave up). It is artificial tasting, too sweet/smoky, and generally unpleasant (to me). Making BBQ sauce from scratch is fairly easy and can be adjusted to personal preference. Start with Primal Kitchen’s ketchup (Heinz No Sugar Added is also good if you do sucralose) and build up the flavors. I use Lakanto Gold, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cayenne, ancho chili powder, hickory smoked salt (some people use liquid smoke), dijon mustard, pepper, worcestershire and cumin. If you want it thicker, add a smidge of konjac flour or xanthum gum.
I understand the appeal of prepared no calorie/no carb foods. My experiences with them have prompted me to go home made on the things that I can, and they have, 95% of the time, been much better.

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

Try this recipes, simple and quick and basically 3 ingredients if you don’t count the salt and pepper. Can be made faster than a trip to your grocery to buy a package of mix you have to cook up anyway.

https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-alfredo-sauce/

(Sg) #28

Thanks a lot for the recipe (copied!) Tyme…I thought Heinz ketchup wasn’t allow on keto, even the “sugar free” one…and yes, the problem it’s to find the time to prepare my own dressings and sauces but I’ll try my best. Thanks, again!

You will find that you can make delicious things quite easily, and in the long run, more cheaply, than from using prepared food. Have fun with it! Google is your friend!

(Sg) #30

Thanks for sharing, collaroygal! :grinning:

I haven’t had a problem with it, but i rarely use it. Normally, I just use it for bbq and cocktail sauce.

I roll a bit dirty. (and Im not up to making my own ketchup)

(Meghan) #33

Hi there, I am learning about Keto and came across your post about putting organic in front of each word and I thought I could provide you with some insight. I work in food labeling and “organic” is a regulated term. If the product is making an organic claim, is required in the ingredient list to include the word organic in front of each organic ingredient or use an asterisk to denote each ingredient as organic (seen in a sample below). Then ingredients that are not agricultural would not be “organic” because they are not grown, such as the sea salt and silicon dioxide and therefore they are not noted as organic.

This should not be seen as suspicious as you noted above, since they are following the law.

Hi Meghan. Thanks for the response. The last thing I want to do is to seem to be mansplaining something to someone who works in the industry (so apologies in advance) but I thought the term ‘organic’ was used to indicate when something was produced using no antibiotics, growth hormones, conventional pesticides, fertilizers made with synthetic ingredient etc., not just used to described if something is grown or not. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Aside from that, cynical me just sees the whole ‘organic’ thing as an abused buzz word used by manufacturers as an excuse to charge more for their products. Sure, the original intention of promoting products as organic was probably for the right reason, but as always these trends get manipulated to make a quick buck.