Is this a non-scale victory?

On keto diet for around 6 weeks now (minus my week of holiday in Italy in the middle).

There is a shopping centre at 1.3 miles from my office. This shopping centre has a supermarket. This supermarket has my favourite UK bread. Today I wanted to buy that bread :wink: (I know, I knowā€¦)

So I set to walk toward the shopping centre as I often do when the weather is fine at lunch time. Mind: it is normal for me to walk there and back at lunch time, so this is not the special thing that happened today.

The special thing that happened today is the burst of energy that I felt shortly after I started walking. Something not experienced in many, many years. Literal desire to run (canā€™t really do that because of my asthma, but you get the point). Walked to the shopping centre like a tarantula has bitten me. Went around a while there and on the supermarket. Then back at a still faster pace and still with more energy than usual (but no tarantula anymore).

My first thought was: Berberine + NMN (I follow longevity sites). But then I reflected I have been taking Berberine + MNM only for three weeks, and it seems the benefits come after several months, so I donā€™t think itā€™s likely that itā€™s that.

So I thought of an effect of the keto diet.

May I call this a non-scale victory? Meaning: Is this going to remain and be a permanent feature of the way I feel? Or is it part of cyclical ups and downs of energy as my body adjusts to the (partial) keto lifestyle?

As always, the combined wisdom of this forum is greatly appreciated.

Chetogenico

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Yes, yes, and yes. Meaning that it is a non-scale victory, the exuberance will probably settle down unless you continue at an increased level of physical activity (the body is parsimonious and doesnā€™t generate too much extra energy needlessly), and it is cyclical in any case, regardless of how keto-adapted one is.

So enjoy the extra energy, count it as a blessing, keep calm, and keto on!

(Bob M) #3

Itā€™s definitely a NSV. And itā€™s something that is completely unexpected, because we all know that carbs ā€œgive us energyā€. (The problem is that it gets packed into fat and you canā€™t get it out.)

(Robin) #4

Absolutely! How great you recognized it and had a chance to know another layer of successā€¦. Quality of life. Energy.

Walking a little over 2.5mi and having a huge energy burst? Damn right thatā€™s a NSV!

Berberine works in real time, NMN is the LOOOOOONG game, like most Anti-aging stuff. I flip flop between NMN and NR myself, used to inject NAD+, but that gets pricey, that though, you FEEL working very quickly! Also taking Life Extentions Senolytic Activator, gonna do an bilogical age test, then do it again in a year and see (if) I come down a little :grin:

Anti-Aging is both a rabbit hole, and a money pit, but a fun one! Many people already guess my age in my mid 30ā€™s, Iā€™m 43, so Iā€™m doing something right! Next I think is Rapamycin, that one can alledgly wipe all almost all Senolytic cells like crazy, but being into weightlifting, Iā€™m a little afraid of chemically lowering mTOR.

Thanks all! A tad disappointing to know this is not going to be the new normal, but still an improvementā€¦ albeit the 2.5 miles of walking were already my ā€œnormalā€, itā€™s the big energy bust that was the surprise!

Ifod 14, congratulations for getting into longevity at your ā€œyoungā€ age! I donā€™t do expensive stuff like injecting NAD+, but I like to think that I am taking care of myself the proper way at my now not irrelevant (57) age. Talking of senolytics, I am also taking Fisetin (you will have already understood itā€™s because of David Sinclairā€™s research). Yes I know Berberine acts immediately (I have written another post on its ketosis-enhancing virtues, which I found barely believable), but I understand Sinclair so, that the combination of Berberine and NMN (if you canā€™t get Metformin, which I canā€™t) is the proper deal. In fact, Sinclair himself took Berberine and NMN himself for years before getting access to Metformin. Berberine is probably easier to live with, too.

Itā€™s a fascinating world. In fact, I came to these Keto shores because of my interest in fasting, particularly IF, as I deem fasting clearly beneficial for long-term health. To me, keto is a by-product of my fasting habit, as all those fats allow me to easily fast for 23 hours every time I want to (4 times a week is the current schedule).