Is there reduced fat loss while lifting?

(Elijah Barrett) #1

This doesn’t make sense, right? Basically, I have heard a lot of people talk about how they only began seeing results when not lifting. Is this just a myth? Does the body try to retain fat while weightlifting or does the scale not change simply because of muscle gain? I hope someone can clear this up for me and a few of my coworkers.

edited to say “retain fat” instead of “retain weight”

(Ron) #2

If the context is pertaining to weight loss then lifting and building muscle is going to counter the fat loss. As far as seeing results, weight vs measurement are two different routes but will both show progress.

(Mark Rhodes) #3

My Dexascan results prove otherwise…of course any claims made my job isn’t to disprove them it is instead to say “show me the science” and make them prove theirs.

(Robert C) #4

On the idea of fat loss and muscle gain balancing out - that is highly unlikely. It depends on age (older being harder to add muscle) but generally, adding a pound of muscle is difficult in a month time frame (assuming no steroid use) but dropping a couple of pounds of fat in a week is pretty common. The other thing to keep in mind is that adding muscle happens faster when you start out weight lifting. After you have lifted for a while - gains are more and more difficult.

But the “myth” you’re asking about might be a fact. Here is how I have had it explained to me. Essentially, lifting weights is a stress on the body. Your body basically reacts “if you’re going to make me do this - I’m going to change my hormone levels so that I will retain more fat - I think it is good to keep it around under this load”. Much the same as with other things that stress you like lack of sleep or a bad boss. Then, without lifting, your body switches back to letting the pounds fall away because the stress is less.

(Elijah Barrett) #5

That is also the way I understood the situation. I’ve lost about 40 pounds this summer, but plan to start powerlifting again in bout 2 weeks. My concern is exactly that. I would like to get body fat scans frequently, but don’t have much money to throw around yet.

Bodybuilders refer to cutting as losing weight (hard to build muscle while losing weight) for a show and bulking as adding weight and muscle/strength during the offseason (usually winter).
For a non keto diet, it’s all about a calorie surplus/deficit for bulking/cutting. I think it is to some degree for keto diets as well but the fat burning is faster with keto since there are no carbs to burn through first.

(Allan Misner) #7

Do you want to lose weight or fat?

If you’re lifting heavy, you will retain or build muscle. This may add weight to your body, but it’s lean body mass, and we want that.

You can lose fat, while you’re putting on muscle as long as you’re feeding your body what it needs for building and getting some of your energy from body fat. That requires you to really be aware of your food choices and amounts. And don’t overdo the protein, find what works, and strive to get just enough.

Those that harp on the underfeed to lose weight, overfeed to gain muscle, aren’t willing to do the work (in the gym) or the work (tracking and testing) necessary to do both.

Plus building those muscles would increase your BMR (is that the right acronym?). I’d choose muscle gain over fat loss any day.

(Katie) #9

Lifting is technically damaging to muscles (in a healthy way), and will cause your body to retain water and become slightly inflamed. This is normal, and may cause the scale to go up. However, normally weightlifting encourages weight loss. It increases the metabolic rate. And if one gains muscle, his/her nutritional requirements usually will increase (more energy expenditure from everyday movement).

(Benj) #10

Pick up that iron, you will see better results in the long run!

(Benj) #11

It would make a lot of sense if it is just water hiding your fat loss.

(Ron) #12

(Allan Misner) #13

Here is the rub on weight lifting (or any exercise) and weight loss:

1. You’ll always get the most benefit for weight loss in the kitchen. Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.
  2. Calories in and calories out do matter, but people are often way off on their estimates of both. When you lift (if you want results from the work) you’ll need to have the protein and energy to rebuild and do the next workout. Most people up their calories (some without even knowing it) and thereby aren’t in a calorie deficit.
  3. Muscle damage from lifting causes inflammation (mild) and some water retention, which can show as weight gain.
  4. Adding muscle mass (slow, but it does happen), increases overall mass (aka weight).
  5. The increase in BMR is very, very minor (again, people think this is more than it is and eat more).

You can lose body fat while lifting weights if you are very meticulous and track everything. Most exercise makes us want to eat more and most people who don’t track fail to recognize they’re eating more because they were told that you don’t have to count calories on Keto. Calories in Calories out still matters, it just isn’t the only thing that matters.

Instead of weight loss, fat loss, or muscle mass, I wish people would just wrap their heads around body composition. Get the percentage of fat and work to optimize that. It might cost you a little money to know your numbers, but it is a good tool to know you’er getting healthier (not just smaller).