Is there any science/research showing how ineffective/bad statins are?

(Kent) #1

I want to better understand the science behind why statins are not something I should take if my doctor tries to prescribe them for me. Is there a chapter in a book that walks through the issues and that point to studies?

Thanks!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #2

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/the-truth-about-cholesterol-ldl-hdl-statins-and-you-study-links-statins-to-300-adverse-health-effects/77646?u=beccs

('Jackie P') #3

Look out for Malcolm Kendrick. It was him that finally persuaded me to ditch the statins.

(Polly) #4

This book is a good resource

This book is very readable

Duane Graveline wrote several books about the harm done by statins, this is one of them

(Carl Keller) #5

Perhaps the biggest red flag you should point out is questioning why statin makers exaggerate success rates. To me itā€™s mindboggling how they will use a deceptive math formula to make their products look more effective than they are:

I need to briefly explain the difference between relative and absolute risk reduction . Researchers and pharmaceutical companies often use relative risk statistics to report the results of drug studies. For example, they might say, ā€œIn this trial, statins reduced the risk of a heart attack by 30 percent.ā€ But what they may not tell you is that the actual risk of having a heart attack went from 0.5 percent to 0.35 percent. In other words, before you took the drug you had a 1 in 200 chance of having a heart attack; after taking the drug you have a 1 in 285 chance of having a heart attack. Thatā€™s not nearly as impressive as using the 30 percent relative risk number, but it provides a more accurate picture of what the actual, or ā€œabsoluteā€ risk reduction is.

https://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-statins-dont-save-lives-in-people-without-heart-disease/

Dr. David Diamond goes more in depth with how this charade works:

(bulkbiker) #6

Hereā€™s a thread I started on another forum Iā€™m a member ofā€¦
Most of the recent data in one place.

(Khara) #7

I really like how simple this is. Should get people actually thinking as opposed to just reciting a practiced spiel.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #8

Wow. Watched the videos. Going to stop my statins tonight.

(Kent) #9

Can I just say how much l love the ketogenic forums!!!

There are so many knowledgeable people on the forums that are invested in just one thing:

Helping themselves and others learn and live the truth about health issues.

Now that doesnā€™t mean that we donā€™t get it wrong sometimes, but our hearts and minds our in the right places and not focused on how fat our wallet is going to get from spouting lies.

Thank you to everyone that responded. I am still digesting all of the materials but again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

These papers, by Uffe Ravnskov might be helpful:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #11

As a woman with familial hypercholesterolemia, Iā€™ve been part of studies in the past. I donā€™t know what the results were though. I take a low dose aspirin, which has blood thinning properties. Iā€™m going to look into other anticoagulatives as well. No more statins for me. Luckily, Iā€™ve only been on them a few months after resisting for years. You guys are AWESOME with the studies! Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

One study I saw, from the 1960ā€™s, concluded that their data meant that FH had no impact on cardiovascular disease and nullified the diet-heart hypothesis. Unfortunately, Ancel Keys was just getting into gear, so no one paid attention.

Based on those data, together with data from several epidemological studies and from hospital admissions of patients with heart attacks, I have concluded that it is impossible for cholesterol to be the cause of cardiovascular disease.

(Tony ) #13

Totally non - medical person here - From my understanding , the statin critical research studies have Not been released ( they are held and guarded, by agreement, by one of at uk universities ā€œreview/ research groupsā€) and that the advertising ā€œnumbersā€ are quite misleading regarding their presentation.
This has been pointed out in above posts and on many youtube videos.
Again, from youtube, I understand that a feature of a statins function is by ā€œReinforcingā€ the calcium plaque which better seals the unstable liquid gunk that has built up below the artery inner lining ( this is the liquid gunk that when the artery wall ruptures, gets into the blood stream, coagulates into a clot, gets moving, and causes a stroke/ heart attack). From my point of view rather than trying to seal the problem in, with all the statin side effects, I have instead changed to a Keto, Low Carb diet. This is to reduce/stop inflammation, and hopefully reduce/stop/reverse the build up of this gunk in the first place. For me Keto / Low Carb is a real great leap of faith as every single person in my families ( on both sides ) have died of heart disease and nothing else. Im nearly 69, and have outlived my own father by 20 years now. I did try stains 20-25 years ago in a trial, and they badly knocked me around, so I have never taken then since. Apparently, according to my doctor and blood tests etc, since being on Keto my risk factors have gone so low that im not even eligible for statins now !!

(Polly) #14

There is a YouTube presentation by Pamela Popper which runs through the history of this topic and is well worth a watch if you want the low down on the development of medication with statins.

(David Epstein) #15

Iā€™m starting to believe that thereā€™s some conspiracy regarding statins. As a simple patient with CHD Iā€™m not going to chance it. I do not believe that statins are that bad for you. Take Dr. Brewer testimony. I reckon he has more knowledge and experience in this area than any of the other people mentioned on this blog. He himself is skeptical about statins yet he takes them himself and has proof that they work and do a good job.
ABOUT DR. BREWER
Dr. Brewer started as an Emergency Doctor. After seeing too many preventable heart attacks, he went to Johns Hopkins to learn Preventive Medicine. While there, he went on the run the post-graduate training program (residency) in Preventive Medicine. From there, he made a career of practicing and managing preventive medicine and primary care clinics. His later role in this area was Chief Medical Officer for Premise, which has close to 1,000 primary care/prevention clinics. He was also the Chief Medical Officer for MDLIVE, the second largest telemedicine company. More recently, he founded PrevMed, a heart attack, and stroke prevention clinic.

At PrevMed, we focus on heart attack, stroke, and cognitive decline. We serve patients who have already experienced an event as well as those who have not developed a diagnosis or event. Dr. Brewer provides services via telemedicine or in person if youā€™re in the Lexington, KY area. We find a lot of undiagnosed Pre-Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. Treating unrecognized risk factors like Pre-Diabetes allows reduction of risk and prevention of disease.

(Polly) #16

There is, but it is a conspiracy to medicate the well in order to increase revenue for the pharmaceutical industry. You have made it clear that you do not want to hear the message about the harm statins can do to you. You have chosen to take the medication. That is your choice and if you have made an informed decision after checking out all the evidence you are doing the thing which seems right to you.

However, there are many people [particularly those following this way of eating] who have found what they regard as a better way to obtain health and well-being. They are as entitled to their opinion as you are to yours. Why are you so desparate to tell the rest of us that statins would be good for us?

As for Dr Brewer, I probably wonā€™t watch his video because whilst it may be interesting I recognise that he has a product or service to sell. That means that in my (albeit biased) way of thinking that he is not an independent voice on this subject.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #17

Also, David, you said youā€™ve had a cardiac event and have heart disease. Statins may very well be indicated for you. Others, however, who are just a tad high in their labs with zero underlying disease and otherwise healthy are being put on statins and I think itā€™s reasonable for that group of people to weigh the risks of the drug vs. itā€™s benefits and if those benefits are as promising as is being claimed. I think thatā€™s where most people are coming from when they ask, new to statins and trying to get information.

(David Epstein) #18

The original poster asked for the science. Iā€™ve posted, for statins using Dr. Brewer testimony on how he used statins to reverse 20 years of arterial plaque using science and medical tests. Iā€™ve been taking statins for over 15 years. 3 years ago I had 3 x CABG. If I did not take statins (I can not prove this) I reckon I would of had a heart attack a lot sooner and died. So I believe that for me stains saved my life.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

I hear you. I was simply replying to your concern that there is a anti-statin conspiracy on this forum.

(Polly) #20

This article was published in the lancet recently.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)32519-X/fulltext

If you go to Dr Zoe Harcombeā€™s website you will see her break it down and show that every claim which is made is based on one of the ā€œassumptionsā€ which were programmed into the modelling exercise at the beginning.

https://www.zoeharcombe.com

So much published ā€œscienceā€ is anything but scientific.