Is there any science/research showing how ineffective/bad statins are?

(Kent) #1

I want to better understand the science behind why statins are not something I should take if my doctor tries to prescribe them for me. Is there a chapter in a book that walks through the issues and that point to studies?

Thanks!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/the-truth-about-cholesterol-ldl-hdl-statins-and-you-study-links-statins-to-300-adverse-health-effects/77646?u=beccs

(Jacqueline Porter) #3

Look out for Malcolm Kendrick. It was him that finally persuaded me to ditch the statins.

(Polly) #4

This book is a good resource

This book is very readable

Duane Graveline wrote several books about the harm done by statins, this is one of them

(Carl Keller) #5

Perhaps the biggest red flag you should point out is questioning why statin makers exaggerate success rates. To me it’s mindboggling how they will use a deceptive math formula to make their products look more effective than they are:

I need to briefly explain the difference between relative and absolute risk reduction . Researchers and pharmaceutical companies often use relative risk statistics to report the results of drug studies. For example, they might say, “In this trial, statins reduced the risk of a heart attack by 30 percent.” But what they may not tell you is that the actual risk of having a heart attack went from 0.5 percent to 0.35 percent. In other words, before you took the drug you had a 1 in 200 chance of having a heart attack; after taking the drug you have a 1 in 285 chance of having a heart attack. That’s not nearly as impressive as using the 30 percent relative risk number, but it provides a more accurate picture of what the actual, or “absolute” risk reduction is.

https://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-statins-dont-save-lives-in-people-without-heart-disease/

Dr. David Diamond goes more in depth with how this charade works:

(bulkbiker) #6

Here’s a thread I started on another forum I’m a member of…
Most of the recent data in one place.

(Khara) #7

I really like how simple this is. Should get people actually thinking as opposed to just reciting a practiced spiel.

(Parker is a crone!) #8

Wow. Watched the videos. Going to stop my statins tonight.

(Kent) #9

Can I just say how much l love the ketogenic forums!!!

There are so many knowledgeable people on the forums that are invested in just one thing:

Helping themselves and others learn and live the truth about health issues.

Now that doesn’t mean that we don’t get it wrong sometimes, but our hearts and minds our in the right places and not focused on how fat our wallet is going to get from spouting lies.

Thank you to everyone that responded. I am still digesting all of the materials but again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

(It's all about the bacon, baby) #10

These papers, by Uffe Ravnskov might be helpful:

(Parker is a crone!) #11

As a woman with familial hypercholesterolemia, I’ve been part of studies in the past. I don’t know what the results were though. I take a low dose aspirin, which has blood thinning properties. I’m going to look into other anticoagulatives as well. No more statins for me. Luckily, I’ve only been on them a few months after resisting for years. You guys are AWESOME with the studies! Thanks!

(It's all about the bacon, baby) #12

One study I saw, from the 1960’s, concluded that their data meant that FH had no impact on cardiovascular disease and nullified the diet-heart hypothesis. Unfortunately, Ancel Keys was just getting into gear, so no one paid attention.

Based on those data, together with data from several epidemological studies and from hospital admissions of patients with heart attacks, I have concluded that it is impossible for cholesterol to be the cause of cardiovascular disease.

(Tony ) #13

Totally non - medical person here - From my understanding , the statin critical research studies have Not been released ( they are held and guarded, by agreement, by one of at uk universities “review/ research groups”) and that the advertising “numbers” are quite misleading regarding their presentation.
This has been pointed out in above posts and on many youtube videos.
Again, from youtube, I understand that a feature of a statins function is by “Reinforcing” the calcium plaque which better seals the unstable liquid gunk that has built up below the artery inner lining ( this is the liquid gunk that when the artery wall ruptures, gets into the blood stream, coagulates into a clot, gets moving, and causes a stroke/ heart attack). From my point of view rather than trying to seal the problem in, with all the statin side effects, I have instead changed to a Keto, Low Carb diet. This is to reduce/stop inflammation, and hopefully reduce/stop/reverse the build up of this gunk in the first place. For me Keto / Low Carb is a real great leap of faith as every single person in my families ( on both sides ) have died of heart disease and nothing else. Im nearly 69, and have outlived my own father by 20 years now. I did try stains 20-25 years ago in a trial, and they badly knocked me around, so I have never taken then since. Apparently, according to my doctor and blood tests etc, since being on Keto my risk factors have gone so low that im not even eligible for statins now !!