Is there a difference in the color of an egg?

(Alex) #1

When it comes to Keto, I always get eggs that are from chickens in the wild. However, today I bought some, and some were white, and others were beige. Does the color have any significance when it comes to nutrients for Keto like fat content, or Omegas…etc…?

Oh the shell? That’s depends on the breed. I saw one white egg in the last years I think as that breed isn’t popular here :slight_smile: We have almost all the shades of tan.

(Alex) #3

Yes I know, thanks. I am asking if there is a difference in their chemical composition as to protein vs fat.

(Joey) #4

Not really. There are differences between nutritional value based on hen’s diet, but not color - which is simply a breed trait.

If you can find a “wild” chicken, please report back :wink:

(Alex) #5

:cold_face: I meant to say Chickens that are left to eat naturally. Wild chicken, what was I thinking…:chicken:

(Alex) #6

I boiled a white one and a brown/beige one. I tried them both, and the brown one tasted better, I mean there was a noticeable difference. It’s not scientific or anything, even for 1 person, I only tried one of each. Oh well.

Oh, boy. As a New Englander, this brought back this memory from 1994. Caution: Ear Worm Warning…

I know from eating duck (fresh water based, sea lough based, and farmed based), that depending on their source of food, that will effect the taste of the meat, I suspect the taste of the egg too.

I’m not sure about colour of egg shell though.
I’ve eaten duck eggs that weere bright white and lovely tasting.

This may be more species based? E.g. speckled eggs etc.?
I’m sure there’s something in it, but taste/colour intra species…?

Don’t know- I would suspect everything from method of feeding, exposure to the natural habitat, hardness of water source…and many more variables.

Find yourself a good egg.

(Joey) #9

That’s definitely science. Bon appétit!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

The colour of the shell is completely irrelevant, except that people seem willing to pay more for brown eggs, which is surely relevant to the supermarket.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

The difference in taste was likely the result of different diets, not the colour of the shells. A proper taste test would involve different-coloured eggs from the same farm, laid on the same day by hens whoe all ate the same diet, and with someone else shelling the eggs and only telling you afterward which was which.

Yeah. Minefield of a study!

(Joey) #13

And what objective criteria would you envision for determining which one tasted better? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Minefield!

I can categorigorically state, there is unequivoqical evidence that most carnivores and omnivores are drawn to, perhaps to by tried and tested evolution…or just by G-d given natural instinct; but they love eggs. All of them (unless they’re alergic!).

I’m talking species btw…before some idiot says ‘I just don’t like taste of eggy things.’

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(GINA ) #17

Egg shell color is 100% based on the breed of chicken. You can have a completely free-range, organic, all-natural chicken that lays white eggs, and it will still lay white eggs. Brown egg-layers can be put in a cage and fed 100% soy-based feed and they will still lay brown eggs.

Commercially, the more ‘naturally’ raised eggs tend to be brown. Probably to make it easier to set them apart in the store.

(Joey) #18

@gme Love your avatar, you egg-layin’ beast, you. How topic appropriate.

(Joey) #19

An important clarification. Although I haven’t heard a member of any other species express a dislike for eggs either. :smirk:

This. It’s just the breed/colour of the laying chicken. I can’t believe how many people still think brown eggs are somehow intrinsically “healthier” than white eggs, but apparently they do. This is why it’s so bloody hard to find white hens’ eggs at Easter - all the commercial egg suppliers know their customers instinctively (if rather naively) prefer brown eggs over white, so most commercial flocks now comprise those particular breeds of chickens.