Is there a difference in the color of an egg?

As we never have white eggs here, I put away the few almost white ones for the chance I will be in the mood to paint eggs at Easter :wink: And not in a way where I just cover the whole thing as normal…
Going through more than 3000 eggs a year has perks, I always find some very light ones :wink:

does egg shell color effect taste. NOPE nada, never will and won’t----except the chicken laying that egg and are you comparing a white egg from a white egg layer and an ‘off color’ egg from a white chicken egg layer? If that the health and age and more from that chicken species can be a taste different cause the chicken it came from could be sickly or off in some way or who knows.

plus if store bought you have no idea on where that ‘batch came from’ in that it could be some eggs from one company and fed xyz and health of chickens mixed with a batch of other layers from another company in that carton so…where did the eggs come from in that dozen really come from? the world will never know :sunny:

mostly diet fed the chickens shows egg taste/quality. mostly breeds will vary on egg taste kinda. mostly FRESH eggs vs. store bought sitting in coolers for so many wks. before they get in your fridge to cook will definitely effect taste.

so that kinda sums it up. an egg is an egg but…yes there can be some issues in comparing one breed egg to another and nope, color of shell from this colored shell chicken to another breed kinda don’t mean all that much in truth.

fresh, just laid, not thru any processing from companies to ‘hit the market’ in a store is key and a healthy layer and food intake is what it all boils down to in the end.

from shells to breed to eggs I hope it doesn’t confuse in how I wrote that, I read it back and I am like…what? HAHA but fresh is always best from a well fed natural stock of ‘healthy’ layers. good eatin!

(Allie) #23

Just shell colour. Same inside.