Is the Ketogenic Diet Natural for Humans? - Center for Nutrition Studies

What do you gymuys think about it?

I think T Colin Campbell is dodgy as all heck.

Article has references attached from various studies.
I really don’t want to give up Keto. It keeps my brain clear and anxiety away. But articles like this worry me.

Did you look at the studies? The first few referenced were done on cats, bears, seals & mice.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #5

The construct of what is the “natural” or “primary” metabolic state of humans is a tricky construct.
Maybe there is no primary or emergency metabolic state. But the metabolic state just depends on the type of food intake. Then there is what humans would have had access to in early history, I don’t think there is a problem if a indigenous group was not all year in ketosis as long as they eat nutritional dense foods and kept a low carb/ low glycemic index intake. Also most likely all members of the tribe were properly fat adapted from early childhood, and this makes a difference even if for 1 month of the year they eat all the season specific fruits .
In a world with less procceced food and no sugar I think bouth metabolic states have a role in a normal humans live. In winter the individual was in ketosis and in summer he was not but still low carb by today’s standards.
But today we never get the chance to get fat adapted in early childhood. We never get into a state of ketosis at one point in our life, but all our life we burn sugar. Maybe carb metabolism was not meant to be pushed to such a long period and with such refined carb intake in humans as SAD is today.

(Running from stupidity) #6

Why?

(Marius the butter craving dude) #7

This articles dose not actually discredit ketosis. It just uses the assumption that there is only one natural/primary metabolic state for humans. This asumption is a very simplistic one IMO and I find the subject of fat metabolism vs carb metabolism in early humans much more complex and nuanced

(Marius the butter craving dude) #8

" No animal on earth lives permanently in ketosis. Omnivorous animals such as bears and dogs, and obligate carnivores such as cats – the ultimate low-carbers – use gluconeogenesis to transform amino acids from protein into glucose[1]. This allows them to maintain optimal blood glucose levels to fulfill their bodies’ needs for this vital nutrient. Only in prolonged starvation or a diabetic state will these animals enter ketosis." So acording to her the fact that animals and humans use gluconeogenesis is proof that ketosis is not ntural and carbs are necessary.
Again a problem of interpretation: I could also interpret this as: proteins are essential for among other stuff to produce sugar for brain. If body finds ready available carbs from diet it will spare proteins. Also the body knows how much sugar to make, but with sugar from diet there may be an inbalance of to much sugar and the body is forced to burn and store it fast. Is what I say valid ?

She keps on talking of how no animal gets into ketosis and even eskimos did not enter ketosis because of gluconeogenesis … Yet the keto community never claimed that the brain will run 100% on ketones. The ideea is to use gluconeogenesis for the brain as part of the low carb/keto diet plan. And I feel she misrepresents gluconeogenesis

(bulkbiker) #9

Which is complete and utter tosh…
I have been eating only beef one meal a day for January and every time I have measured blood ketones I have been between 0.9 and 3.5.
So much for GNG pushing us out of ketosis!

(bulkbiker) #10

T-Colin is a notorious pro-vegan advocate… why would they be in the slightest bit supportive of a keto diet that likely includes meat. Check out some of the other pages on that site.

(Carl Keller) #11

Dr Fung liked to use an analogy that went something like this:

Two lions were discussing the latest research about antelope. They learned from a study that antelope lived the longest out of the plains animals because they only ate grass. So the lions quit eating meat and ate only grass. The lions died a short time later…

(Chris) #12

This is called a massive vegan propaganda site.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

She lost me at:

Our human ancestors did not consume high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets and therefore would not have been in diet-induced ketosis.

We have a farily good idea of what our ancestors did eat, and this is [spoiler]nonsense[/spoiler]. And human beings are close to unique in being readily able to enter ketosis without having to be starving. That fact alone tends to argue against her contention about our ancestors’ diet. I only wish that my ancestors’ diet had included her ancestors, so we would not have to read this drivel.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: