Is low carb bread legit?

(Brian) #9

As someone who baked a loaf of real whole wheat bread, from scratch, even ground the wheat for it, I have never found anything in the low-carb world that comes close. I’ve tried several recipes but do not have a single one of them that I plan to make again. I physically threw two recipes in the trash yesterday. Most have been off flavors, tough textures, or very dense brick-like loaves that usually ended up being thrown away rather than eaten. A few pieces to try it out, then it would sit on the counter to die a slow death by mold. It’s hard to overeat something that doesn’t taste all that good, look that good, smell that good or feel that good on the tongue. I’m spoiled, I like really good food.

There are still some “mug breads” that I’d like to try, typically done in a large mug or ramekin type of bowl and sometimes microwaved for a short time to cook. They’ll usually be more like a dinner roll or hamburger bun or English muffin. Something small isn’t nearly as much of a challenge. Getting it to form into a large loaf that’s actually real man-sized sandwich sized and support all of those little air holes for the light texture many of us would like from something we call “bread” is quite difficult to pull off without the texture and properties of good ol’ carb laden wheat.

There are some recipes on here that look interesting, just poke around for a while and look through some of the older posts. You’ll find some.

Most of my baking revolves around either almond flour or coconut flour these days and they seem to work pretty well.

Good luck! And if you happen upon something that works well for you, please come back and tell us about it. There are a lot of people here who are interested!

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Without knowing what is in them I’d stay away from them. Also your carb limits for the day would need to be factored in if you did decide to do a processed bread.

I just find I do ok with the home made breads, using almond, coconut, and/or flaxseed flours. They are simple to make and all but Oopsie bread freezes well, those are too eggy anyway to be of much use to me. Just not my idea of bread at all. Check in the recipe subforum for many bread recipes and Google has too many to even imagine.

If you do test it out, report back so others can see if it is worth checking out as well.

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #11

@collaroygal what’s your personal favorite Keto bread? I haven’t found one I really like.

Mine is the fathead pizza base with added oat fiber to reduce the carb load. Rolled out really thin it makes very nice pita chips for dipping

(John Hally) #13

Yes 7g of Fiber. You so right

(John Hally) #14

Here is the nutritional information & ingredients. Is this ok?

Looks okay to me…

I’m sure a sandwich a day using that bread won’t disrupt your progress, but it could… that’s why you just need to watch what happens after you’ve introduced it into your diet.

(Karen) #16

I’ve eaten
Einkorn. Tastes like wheat, but not low carb

K

(Todd Allen) #17

I’ve never tried any of the low carb breads but I’ve been making a nut and seed loaf that I use in place of bread. It is dense but I love the taste and texture and don’t miss wheat bread at all.

The basic recipe which someone else posted to these forums is to mix 6 cups of seeds and nuts with 6 eggs and 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt, put in a parchment lined loaf pan and bake at 350 F for about an hour. I’ve made many variations and it always comes out good. Lately I’ve been adding a cup of our homemade kefir to a cup of rolled oats and letting it ferment for a couple days into a foamy paste which I mix into the above recipe and let sit for a couple hours before baking which lets me slice it thinner without crumbling. Not a good approach for someone counting carbs as rolled oats are fairly high. I expect most of the sugar and much of the starch is digested by the kefir but I don’t know how to count it.

Net carbs ? Advice
(Jennifer Kleiman) #18

I tried the ThinSlim bread. Tasted like stale Wonderbread. PASS

(Mike Glasbrener) #19

Bread? What’s that? I made a paleo nut bread that was really good. Heavy as heck but tasty heated with a severing of butter.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

I’m in the middle of setting up a new pc don’t have my Mastercook installed, waiting on a delivery of an external dvd drive. So I can’t just grab any recipes for you, sorry. I have found a “biscuit” recipe that works fine as a roll or biscuit, google : Low Carb Good Morning Biscuits (Belle’s Biscuits). I also enjoy the caveman’s recipe for almond buns. He uses them as buns for burgers but I think they are just a nice thick bread slice for almond butter or a sub for cornbread, no corn involved, the texture is cornbread like. As I am sensitive to gluten, I tend to use only no gluten recipes. So I also tried out Wheat Belly Focaccia Bread on Dr. William Davis’ site. It is so tasty but is high in calories and is a heavy bread. You really can’t eat more than one slice of this stuff, even though the slices are tiny ones.

As a former bread addict, I consumed more breads than any other high carb item. I am trying not to get in the habit of using any bread or crackers for that matter on a daily basis. So the ones I have tried out take care of my bread needs. That said I do have a naan recipe I want to try out, but I have been fasting a lot and didn’t want to do any cooking, you might try this out if you like flatbreads Low Carb Naan - KetoConnect.

Ok this has me wanting bread so I am going to stop chatting now.

(Liz ) #21

When I used to eat breakfast, a slice of this toasted with butter was amazing. It wouldn’t really make a good sandwich bread, I don’t think, but it solved that need for buttered toast.

This is the best low carb bread I’ve had by far:

(Sophie) #23

We enjoy these…

Here’s what mine turn out looking like…I also sub Oat Fiber for 1/4c almond flour…drops the carb count a little, and keeps the buns from getting soft when they are eaten left over…don’t need to refrigerate.

(Karen) #24

Question: nutrition info?

K

(Liz ) #25

Mine has an extra tbs of coconut oil in it, I cut it into 10 slices

I found s recipe called best keto bread recipe on Pinterest. I’ve tried a couple of times now… and I must say it’s pretty good! I will try to post the recipe here… if I can figure it out :grimacing:

What brand of bread is this low carb one you’re showing?

(John Hally) #28

It’s called “Love the taste” by Thin Slim