Is Lactose included in Carbohydrate amount on food nutrition labels?

lactose

Hi all, I’m Elliot from Malaysia, just wanna ask about this evaporated creamer, I found that some websites saying that in general evaporated creamer contains extremely crazy high in lactose , so I’ve checked this nutrition info, which I’m eating, and as shown in image below, not really too high in carbohydrate, so my question is , is LACTOSE usually counted and included as Carbohydrate amount in this nutrition info?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: You’d be better off using whatever your equivalent of whipping cream is. This stuff is very low fat (6.4%) and high carb (11.2%). If you can’t get dairy whipping cream with fat somewhere around 33-36% and carbs 3%, then coconut cream (not coconut milk) would be a better alternative. Get one with the highest fat (min 20%) and lowest carbs (max 4-5%) you can find.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #3

Hi Elliott, and welcome to the forum!

Yes it is. Here’s the label on a pint of milk - the carb content in milk is lactose, so the fact that carbs are showing on this (UK) label tells me that it must be the case that lactose is included in the carb count on the label.

The reason I would imagine that the product you are asking about is perceived ‘high in lactose’ is because it is evaporated and therefore everything else is concentrated. At least that’s my understanding of it.

I’d recommend avoiding creamer and simply using cream!

:slightly_smiling_face: