Is keto ok for someone who's been Diabetic for a very long time?

(Cathie Russell) #1

So I’ve been on the Keto boat for almost two months now. I really love it. I feel great and I’ve lost about 13lbs. I was drawn to this life style because my mom and dad aren’t well. My dad is diabetic and my mom has fibromyalgia. My dad has been Diabetic for many years (25+). He no longer takes insulin but still takes something via shot, not sure what it is, and he takes pills. He also has a fatty liver. He’s 72 yrs old. My mom is on so many meds, she is very resistant to do anything else.

Any advice? Anyone out there that was able to cure their diabetes of that many years? Anyone used keto for fibro?

(James storie) #2

I think keto would most definitely help in both cases, but it is extremely important that their doctors are aware of what is going on and understand the results. It could dramatically reduce the amount of meds needed. I’ve been sharing advice with a man I go to church with who is a diabetic with many health problems and I told him the same thing. He understands the benefits, but it is not easy to change after so many years of misinformation. He regularly asks me questions and is slowly making the change.

(Mike W.) #3

My 97 year old Grandmother who has been diabetic for most of her life wants to try it!

(Todd Allen) #4

If she declines or passes away within a few years of starting keto I hope the diet isn’t blamed.

(Barbara Greenwood) #5

I’ve had diabetes 19 years and have drastically reduced my HbA1C by changing to keto. Don’t know yet if I will be able to get off all meds… but I do know I’m a lot better off eating this way. Reducing HbA1C and blood glucose swings means lower risk of complications, heart attack, stroke etc.

(Cathie Russell) #6

Thanks for all the great advice. I will definitely talk to them both again and ask them to talk to their doctors to see what kind of responses they get. I’ll need to find more support for the fibromyalgia help, but there is definitely more than enough for diabetes!

A couple of short videos of diabetic patients that Dr. Fung treated with diet. The patients review the treatment they received.
If your dad changes to LCHF / keto / fasting he needs to be aware that the amount of med’s required may drop significantly.

Good luck with the doctor. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3.5 years ago. I always ate a good health diet as per the Canada food guide. It didn’t make sense to me that following the diet that made me fat and diabetic was going to make me better. Eliminating the grains and sugars from my diet had immediate effect on my fasting / HbA1c glucose, fatty liver etc. The doc’s only comment in the change he saw in my labs was “impossible”. He only says to keep doing what I’m doing but has never asked what that is.

I was listening to Dr. Davies, cardiologist that wrote Wheat Belly, explain importance for diabetics to eat to their meter. It might be a good way to bring your dad onto Keto. He will see his blood sugars improve as the food that causes spikes are slowly eliminated. He will also see how bad grains and sugars are. Dr Davies explains it well in the following video.

(Bunny) #9

@MiKetoAF Wow, that’s impressive. Please keep us updated on her progress.