Is keto less effective in people with APOE-4 genotype?

(Troy Edwards) #21

Just found out that I’m e4/e4… Lots of Alzheimer’s in my family, on both sides.

I’ve read a lot about typical interventions not helping those with e4/e4, but there was a “Found my Fitness” (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) podcast that did a fairly deep dive on the topic. I’m going to have to go through them and try to find which one.

(Bunny) #22

Umbrella Corp.’s (sugar industry) roots sure do run deep:

This type of APOE (“C.T.E.“) is related to sugar\glucose metabolism not from “repeated blows to the head3” i.e. repetitive head trauma. (side note: other factors; glucose metabolism; before, during and after injury?)

That is how genes (APOE==>CTE) respond (Dementia-Alzheimers’s etc.) to high glucose i.e. not a “defective gene” it is a ‘defective dietary choice.’ (my opinion)

**… Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist, has examined the brains of 202 deceased football players. … Of the 202 players, 111 of them played in the N.F.L. — and 110 of those were found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., the degenerative disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head. C.T.E. …” “…The study provides the largest CTE case series described so far. All the participants were exposed to a relatively similar type of repetitive head trauma while playing the same sport. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html

1. Ketosis and Traumatic Brain Injury: A Former Athlete’s Perspective by Ryan Lowery https://ketogenic.com/therapeutics/ketosis-traumatic-brain-injury/

2. The protective effect of the ketogenic diet on traumatic brain injury-induced cell death in juvenile rats. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19408168/

3. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) – A Disease of Athletes “…However, as the authors of the paper point out, a major limitation is ascertainment bias associated with participation in the brain donation program. In other words, awareness of a possible link between repetitive head trauma and CTE may have motivated players and their families with symptoms and signs of brain injury to participate in this research. Hence those without symptoms may be less likely to participate. Therefore, estimates of the real prevalence of CTE are not provided by this study. In a recent interview, Daniel H. Deneshvar, one of the authors of the paper said (2): ”…Although at this point we cannot make any firm sweeping health statements about what types of hits cause CTE or about other risk factors, such as GENETIC RISKS, we can say that the fact that so many athletes develop CTE is very concerning, considering that we have children as young as 8 years old playing football and potentially subjecting themselves to this disease. …”
    https://www.docsopinion.com/2017/07/31/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte/

4. NFL star Hernandez’s family sues league over ‘severe’ CTE

5. Aaron Hernandez Had ‘Severe’ Form of Brain Disease: What Is CTE?

The work of Mary T. Newport, M.D. related to coconut oil MCTs and entirely preventing or significantly delaying Alzheimer’s symptoms is impressive. Her work is referred to the lchf/keto work of Drs. Mary Dan Eades and Michael Eades - even as far back as their bestseller Protein Power.

A well-nourished brain means so much! I love how coconut oil and also the short chain fatty acids of butyrate found in butter and produced by a healthy gut/microbiome (which is relatively rare and often requires some prebiotics and probiotics) and the ketones or pro-ketone molecules (beta-hydroxybutyrate) all work together for Amazing Brainz.

Dr. Newport’s website has more here: https://coconutketones.com/

Maybe I don’t understand your question. All the particle sizes got
larger. Or are you asking about particle counts?

(Sarah ) #25

after you get your 23andme reports, you can also access your full genetic data file- it s huge unintelliglble data dump, but you can send it to other services that can analyze it using their metrics and algorithms and databases (not the same as 23andme) and get much more info. You can also get help online, with some analysis of your own data.

Promethease is a great resource to summarize your individual DNA against every study that has been published. The reality is that there have not been enough studies to make things truly viable as a solution.

One year ago I was 1.6x more likely for late onset, today I am 1.8x more likely for late onset because there have been additional studies published.

The way I see it, science has about 20 years to get it figured out before it becomes a real risk for myself. In the mean time, i can certainly enjoy the many physical and mental health benefits of Keto and as needed 21day fast to reset my brain chemistry when needed.

So re-run your DNA through Promethease each year or sooner to see how science is advancing.

SIn the USA, most DNA based health analysis and recommendations require a sit down with a licensed medical professional. With this FDA constraint, companies like Promethease have moved into the cloud / off-shore to provide their reports.

This is why 23andme can only share a very small opinion on your health.

(joe) #28

Troy, in case you haven’t found the Dr. Patrick video, it’s here: https://www.garmaonhealth.com/23andme-genetic-data/ along with suggestions about how to use 23andMe genetic data.

(joe) #29

CSue, while it’s true that the larger LDL particles are less risky, it’s not by much. Dr. Greger of the very informative and popular NutritionFacts website cites research which indicates:

“… large LDL only raises heart disease risk 44%, instead of 63% for the small LDL.”

Note: for some reason the link I pasted is not showing up, so if you’d like to watch the video or read its transcript, go to nutritionfacts.org and search for “LDL particles”.

(Adam Kirby) #30

NutritionFacts is a vegan propoganda website and Greger is the king of cherry picking data. You’re going to have to provide something a lot more credible.

Alzheimers - Statins - Lowfat Diet

(Kim Childs) #32

APOE 3/4 here. Started keto May 1/17. Didn’t have weight to lose. 55 yr female, active and fit, 130 lbs. Hypothyroid, candida and parasites are present. Did keto to try and feel better and to ward off AZ. First 6 months were amazing, clarity, focus, energy, reduced inflammation, loved it! Went on a couple of vacations (Europe and South Pacific) and found both very hard to recover from even though tried to stay as much keto as possible. Getting back to ketosis was very easy. Can easily eat within a 3 hr TRE window and pack the nutrients in. Now finding that even though in ketosis and BG stable and in good ranges, still feel like crap. Bloated, feeling overfull and burping every time I eat. Wondering if this is for me anymore. Also, sleep quality sucks! Reading that long-term keto for hypothyroidism could be bad. Always so much controversy out there on what is the right way and I know everyBODY is different, just wondering if anyone out there has had this experience after being keto for a while? #1 concern is having a lifestyle to avoid AZ. I’ve spent a ton of time educating myself in keto, hypothyroidism and see a Functional Medicine doc as well as an ND consistently. Nobody seems to have a good path forward for me. Appreciate any comments or thoughts this community may have for me.

(Bunny) #33

Related:

1. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/coconut-oil-induced-depression/5271/11?u=atomicspacebunny
  1. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/thyroid-when-to-cycle-in-out-of-ketosis/34238?u=atomicspacebunny
  1. Constantly full (but can't lose weight on fewer calories) and heartburn/puking a little bit

(Kim Childs) #34

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts Bunny. Enjoyed the YouTubes. I don’t consume a ton of coconut oil and don’t believe depression is a big issue with me, but, interesting to note for sure.

How’s your gallbladder? I had mine removed a few years ago, and I still have digestive issues, whether fasting or eating. But like you say, I still do keto for the AZ prevention. And I’d think I’d get these symptoms no matter what I eat, since like I said I even get them when fasting.

Hope you find an answer soon!

EDIT: Oh, and I do find bitters help a LOT. I make my own.

(Kim Childs) #36

Thank you for your feedback, I think I will try the bitters. My ND has never said anything about my gallbladder and I still have it and I don’t have any pain so I’m going to assume it’s OK lol

Oh good, hope your GB stays well! Mine never hurt at all, I just had ongoing digestive issues. No gallstones, they said it was clogged with “sludge.” Lovely.

(Kim Childs) #38

Hi and thanks Gatita. I’m going to have to ask my ND about my GB then. Just figured I’d have some symptoms if things were off, but I guess I am if I’m not metabolizing fats and have perpetual diarrhea!

No idea if my gallbladder is a problem but ever since I started taking two tablespoons a day of raw apple cider vinegar my digestion has been better. It has made a huge difference. I usually put it in some seltzer or dilute it with plain water, I never drink it straight

OK, I have to try it. A Carl’s cocktail with bitters might not hurt either.