Is Keto Causing Dizziness?

(Tracy) #1

My husband is doing Keto with me. He says that lately he has been having dizzy spells. Is it possible it’s linked to Keto? Has anyone experienced this? Is there a remedy?

(Sheri Knauer) #2

He could need electrolytes. Also, is he on medications? Sometimes as you lose weight the dosage of any medications may need to be adjusted, especially if he is on meds for high blood pressure. I would suggest adding some sea salt to his water and speaking with his doctor about adjusting meds if applicable.

(Allie) #3

Most likely needs more salt.

(Bunny) #4

I experienced this a few times also and it was POTS syndrome from burning out my adrenals trying to burn body fat with too few carbohydrates and fasting too often extensively.

Apparently norepinephrine is what lifts your entire body when you go from laying down to sitting up or sitting position to standing up. When you don’t have enough of this hormone circulating it can give you a super dizzy feeling.

Eating a little salt does seem to help with this.

You could check blood pressure?

The other possibility could be the ears or ear infection?

References:

[1] How to Test Your Adrenal Function

It’s usually related to electrolytes. I usually have some chicken broth or egg drop soup, maybe adding more salt, or some lite salt (potassium and sodium).

Another option is keto-ade – Lite Salt + Water + zero carb flavoring (Mio brand or equivalent). Some people also add magnesium and/or extra salt to their mixture. Remember – too many electrolytes can be as bad as too few, so you don’t want to overdo it.