Is it true that taking selenium supplements gets rid of the mercury in fish

(Jello_Baby) #1

I want to start eating tuna again because it’s delicious. However I’m worried about the mercury. Is it true that taking supplemental selenium gets rid of mercury in the body?

Buy quality tuna and don’t worry about it. Selenium can help but ultimately it’s only a trace mineral that like many helps our body do it’s job. Your body gets rid of the mercury, not the selenium. Track your dietary intake, make sure you’re getting all your trace minerals and vitamins and trust your body to do it’s job.

I’ve seen many people do this with tuna for some reason, yet then will shampoo and condition their hair with literal endocrine disrupting chemicals, microwave their food in plastic, be fine with fluoride in most of their dental stuff, OK with all the harsh chemicals in their water, but then draw a line at tuna for some reason. Don’t make yourself crazy over nothing.

(Jello_Baby) #3

Thanks. I’m only cautious because I heard that mercury has a half life of 15 years.

(Virginia) #4

Here is a link to an article about this, basically saying that the majority of fish have more selenium than mercury, and the selenium makes it so that our bodies don’t absorb the mercury.

We eat tons of tuna and so far we seem to be okay lol.

HI, you are posting this in zero carb area so I assume?? you are a carnivore like me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: We have a great zero carb area for chatting.

but agree with others who posted, don’t worry on your tuna. the amt you will eat won’t nail ya plus being carnivore you do want to focus on dense protein vs. seafood. While seafood is a wonderful ‘side dish’, it doesn’t satisfy us zc’ers as much, nourish you as well, etc. as well as dense red meats.

ok that answer was geared more at a carnivore lifestyle cause you posted in the zero carb/carnivore area LOL, but yea, you don’t need supps for your tuna intake.

(Jello_Baby) #6

Cheers