Is it ok to eat 1 kg of carrot?

I didnt eat any veggies today,I will go to sleep soon.I will have only one meal before I go to sleep.I cooked 1 kg of carrot and I would like to eat it all at once.I fear its too much carbs.

If I eat all the carrot,I will get 55g total carbs today,which I think is not great but ok.The problem is that it will be all at once,and I believe carrot have fructose,not starch like green beans.

I want to eat it becose of vitamins and minerals,I want to achieve my micronutrient goals for today.

1. Is it ok to eat 1 kg ( 2.2 pound ) of carrot at once?

2. Is it ok to eat 1kg of carrot throughout the day?

(Ethan) #2

Plenty of other things have the vitamins of a carrot.

(Allie) #3

That’s a lot of carbs. I tend to avoid carrots but on the rare occasion I have them it will be raw as once they’re cooked, they’re even more starchy than raw.

(Brian) #4

That’s a lot of carrots.

1 cup of cooked carrots is about 12g of carbs, 8g if you’re doing net. Maybe doable on a keto diet but a stretch. And I’ll even admit to doing that on occasion.

1kg of shredded carrots, isn’t that like 9 cups?

I ate half of it.I will keep the other half for tomorrow.I wont make the mistake of making carrot my only vegetable for the day.

Bellyman Not shredded,I peeled the skin off and cooked them for 45 minutes.

(Ethan) #6

Did you check your ketones afterwards? Why are you so fixated on carrots? You’ll get the same vitamins from a salad of chard, spinach, kale, arugula, and avocado, and you won’t have the carbs.

EZB I am not fixated on carrots.I am poor and today I saw cheap beautiful carrot in the supermarket where I go.

Yesterday I read that carrot is decent keto food becose the carb content is relatively low.I read it have only 4.6 g carb per 100 g if not counting fiber.

I dont know what I was thinking,I made mistake.Somehow,when I was deciding on buying it,it seemed like good idea at the time.

Its only now after I cooked it I realized this was bad idea.I googled nutrition again and other site claimed it have 6.5g carbs per 100g not counting fiber.

When I tasted it,it was very sweet.When I took first bite I realized that eating 46 - 65 g of fructose in one sitting is dumb idea.

I am little sad lol,it was absolutely delicious,becose I didnt eat anything sweet for 4 days since I started keto,I believe my sweet taste sense got stronger,I dont ever remember carrot tasting this sweet.

(Ethan) #8

Ah ok. Maybe just the way you put it made it sound like you have some carrots and are desperate to eat them. Cooking carrots will definitely make them more sugary. There are some good, cheap vegetables, too, that are not as carb heavy. Spinach, romaine (without the e-coli), and radishes are a few.

Thank you for tips EZB :heart:

You say cooking carrot increase its carb content and make it sweeter,how does that work? What is the chemistry behind it?

(Ethan) #10

This site has some good information on it:

Specifically,

Heat can increase the rate at which vegetable starches get converted into vegetable sugars. A baked Russet potato, for example, will lose about 10% of its raw-form total starch content and convert that starch content into sugar. The baking of a starchy vegetable can also raise its glycemic index (GI) value. This increase in GI (often related to the conversion of starches to sugars) holds true for vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, plantains, and carrots. A raw carrot typically has a GI value in the 15-20 range. A cooked carrot’s GI will typically fall into the 35-50 range.

(Leslie) #11

Cooking vegetables for such a long time removes most of the vitamins and minerals you are interested in getting to begin with.
Fry or sauté them is butter or coconut oil.

Remember that too much of any one thing is unhealthy, if not physiologically, emotionally. I would say pounds of carrots is too much. Eat a variety of veggies. Shop in the green leafy section.

I hope you find this helpful
Keep calm and keto on

WOW! I didnt know that! Thank you for showing me this important piece of knowledge.

(Ethan) #13

We are all always learning here everyday! One note I can say about cheap eating on keto… If you have a local butcher, go there and ask for what they have extra that they won’t use. Mine gives away fat trimmings, skins, and feet for free. I use chicken feet to make bone broth. I deep fry or bake chicken skins. The butcher was going to throw them away anyway, and now I get to eat it for free! Plus, I eat a lot less (every other day). That has saved a ton in groceries.

If you really want to up your micronutrients. Eat something that has them in a more bioavailable form. Eat liver.

(Brian) #15

Vitamins, yes, minerals, not so much.

Couple days ago my grandmother showed me the most delicious soup recipe ever.

Its super basic carrot soup,with bit of ginger and alot butter.Is this something I should avoid eating?

I always do it this way,I cook 600g of carrots and then eat it in two sittings through the day.

I read conflicting information about carrot carb content,becose I boil them long time,their carbs go up.Is eating 300g boiled carrot at once bad? How about doing that twice a day?

I have no health problem,its not like I am trying to heal from diabetes,I just wonder of I am ruining the keto benefits and preventing keto adaptation.

When I eat the carrot soup,the rest of the food that day is always strict,so the carrots make up practicly my whole daily carb intake.But it is about 20-25 carb 2x a day.

I know keto limit is 50g roughly,but thats counting fiber,thats not digested and absorbed.I read keto should be 25g real carbs max,so I get double the carbs.

I just made a BG test on carrots

That’s a good video. Thanks for sharing.
The real question is how much carrots raise your BG in comparison to an isocaloric equivalent amount of other foods. Did you eat the same amount of avocado and olives?

No. Most of my tests are done after eating 600 calories of food (Avocados and olives were 600 each too)
But it could be a challenge for most of fruits and veggies… 600 cal of carrots should be equal to 3 lbs which is too much for me))

(Helen Taylor) #20

If you eat a lot of raw carrots your ears will turn orange! This is because you get too much carotin and because the skin there is thin and under pressure.