Is it ok to drink 1 fruit smoothie daily

(Susan Isaacson) #1

I just finished my breakfast. 4 slices of bacon and 1/2 avocado. Feeling satisfied.
Can I have a 12oz fruit smoothie late afternoon. Mine is made with yogurt and some milk? Total newbie, need assistance please.

(Jo) #2

How much and which fruits? I would replace the milk with heavy cream - less carbs, and read the label on the yogurt to figure out how many carbs are in there.

(icky) #3

No, I donā€™t think so :see_no_evil:

Can you put the ingredients in a food calculator and work out how many carbs it is all up?

Even a glass of milk is probably too much. Even without adding any fruit.

(Darlene Horsley) #4

I occasionally make them using 2 oz. of cream cheese, blueberries or raspberries and plain almond milk.
http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-smoothies-shakes-with-5-net-carbs-or-less/

(Susan Isaacson) #5

My boyfriend who knows ā€œeverythingā€ Lol
He makes these in our Vita mix with banana,seedless grapes, rinsed and drained peaches before milk and yogurt.
Anyway, who has a good keto recipe for a smoothie. Besides fruit, yogurt, milk is there anything I should be added?

(Ron) #6

NO NO NO! All sugars. Your smart to look for new recipes.:+1:

(karen) #7

Google ā€œketo smoothiesā€ or ā€œlow carb smoothiesā€. Most smoothies are probably not the best use of your 20 carbs but itā€™s possible to make substitutions that will make them doable. Hereā€™s one with three net carbs.

(Susan Isaacson) #8

WOW!! Sounds delicious

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Iā€™ve done one with avacado and cocoa powder.

But most typical fruit smoothies are way too high in carbs.

May as well say goodbye to bananas. Thereā€™s really only a few things I really miss on Keto, but bananas top the list.

(TJ Borden) #10

I would take your recipe of:
Banana
Grapes
Peaches
Milk
Yogurt

Add heavy whipping cream (HWC), then take out the:
Banana
Grapes
Peaches
Milk
Yogurt

Whip with a stick blender and itā€™s delicious.

(Brian) #11

I miss bananas, too. Before keto, I used to make a fluffy banana muffin that was about as good as any banana anything Iā€™ve ever had. I remember leaving the bananas out on the countertop to achieve just the right level of blackness. But since keto, Iā€™ve never made them since. Maybe one day Iā€™ll get brave and see if I can do a banana flavored keto muffin, I think I have some banana flavor extract.

There was a connection there, though. We had moved in with mom & dad in momā€™s last year of life. And we did a lot of the cooking and cleaning and the little stuff to try to make life easier for them. One of them was cooking breakfast. So, the banana muffins became a regular item on the menu. I also learned to make some really good eggs, over easy, sunny side up, scrambled, fried, even omelettes. I still make eggs but might have a hard time with the banana muffinsā€¦ memoriesā€¦

(less is more, more or less) #12

Not if youā€™re trying to eat within a LCHF or Keto way of eating. Perhaps berries, but I would wait after a year of solid low-carb living. I havenā€™t had anything but the rare single strawberry after a year.

You can eat fruit (or any other carb) up to your personal carb tolerance. You have to test to determine it. If itā€™s easier for you to just stop eating foods you love, feel free to do that.

Point of reference: my sister drinks a smoothie for breakfast on work days. It does not throw her out of ketosis. YMMV.

I have a particular smoothie that I make, which is about as keto as I can manage, but then Iā€™m pretty much ā€˜lazy ketoā€™, which is why I canā€™t complain too much about losing very slowly. :slight_smile:

I use half an avocado (fresh or frozen), a few frozen blueberries, unsweetened almond milk, a 1/3 scoop of banana-flavoured protein powder and a big dollop of double cream. Itā€™s delicious, but I only let myself have it as a replacement for something else, e.g. instead of a salad for lunch or instead of berries and cream for dessert. I sometimes use a couple of strawberries instead of the blueberries for a change.

If you want to stay even remotely on keto, you canā€™t include any fruit other than berries and should always balance it with a hefty dose of fat (hence why I add the avocado and the cream).

(Susan Isaacson) #15

I will also say no banana but I will also miss them alot.
How has keto been working for you. Thanks for answering smoothie ??

Susan

(Susan Isaacson) #16

Symathy about your Momā€™s. Theyā€™re having irreplaceable.
I lost mine 15 years ago and she had Altheimers so truthfully we lost her years before her demise. Still Pick up the phone to talk to her. Yuck.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #17

Itā€™s not without its ups and downs, but Iā€™m really loving it. You just canā€™t expect unrealistic results.

Iā€™m down 11.7 pounds, though 8.4 came in the first 4 weeks and week 5 I gained back almost 5 pounds. It quickly came back off again. People get very scared when they see the scale not budging or even gaining weight, but donā€™t sweat this. The first 8.4 was largely water weight. As I was getting my electrolytes in check some of that came back on. After that point itā€™s been real weight loss.
The best part is how I feel on a daily bases now and having very little problems adhearing to this WOE, meaning it will be far easier to maintain than anything Iā€™ve done in the past. So Iā€™m okay with the weight coming off slowly.

(Susan Isaacson) #18

Spell check, you gotta love it. Hope you understand my last answer??

(Renee Gabel) #19

I do a green smoothy for breakfast and used to add banana and blueberry. Since starting keto almost a week ago Iā€™ve reduced the fruit significantly, going down to about a fifth of a banana (20 grams or so, about 5 net carbs) and changed berries to raspberries or blackberries also about 20 grams. Iā€™m staying well within my net carbs for the day, but Iā€™m wondering if even the small amount of banana will prevent me from going into ketosis. Is it all about numbers, or are bananas in any quantity going to be a no go since theyā€™re so startchy?

Smoothies/juices are a no-go because of the fructose, that goes straight to your liver. While it may stay within your carb limits (tho given how the fiber is stripped from it, thatā€™s questionable), itā€™s still highly discouraged. Just like in theory you could spend all 20g carbs on straight sugar, it doesnā€™t mean you should.