Is it ok doing intermittent fasting without eating the same amount of calories each day?

fasting
intermittentfasting
calories
omad

(Ryan) #1

Hello guys, i have a question.
I am 20 years old, 193cm and weights 95kg.
i did some intermittent fasting for a while and i stopped.
now i want to return into the fasting.
most of the time i go to sleep late and i wake up at 12pm or 1 or even 2 pm.
when i wake up so late i’m not hungry until 11pm or even untill 1am.
i know that the thing with intermittent fasting is eat once or twice a day the same amount of calories that you would eat all day long.
but due my late mornings my question is if can i eat one meal at like a 8 pm and 10 pm as much as i can ( which is much less than i should eat) and fast for another 18-20 hours?
thank you for your answers

(Robert C) #2

Is there a reason why you are sleeping so far away from a normal (2 or 3 hours past sunset to near sunrise) sleep cycle?

Sleeping really far away from the norm is a problem that should be dealt with before anything else - is there a business / job related reason for this?

You can fast, Keto, exercise all you want but bad sleep will undermine everything.

I find fixing my sleep habits have been harder than Keto/fasting.

I remember being 20 and sleeping in until 1 or 2PM. Man that was a foggy time in my life.

(Allie) #5

Is there a reason for that crazy sleep pattern?

(Carl Keller) #6

Hi Ryan.

I will assume that your work schedule forces you into a nocturnal lifestyle but it should be noted that a few studies have found that food eaten in the morning is processed more efficiently and that our bodies metabolize energy at a greater rate in the afternoon than they do at night. Simply put, we are diurnal creatures and our biology is wired to have us eating without the moon and stars to bear witness. But one must adapt to personal circumstances.

I often ate a much smaller number or calories when I was eating OMAD. A thousand calories was typically all I could eat in one meal. I simply ate until I reached satiety and stopped. This worked just fine for me because I was fat adapted and any caloric deficit was supplemented by my body fat and my hunger never over-reacted. SInce you say that you are reacting to your hunger, then I have no doubt that what you are doing is fine.

I can’t find the study about food being processed more efficiently in the morning but here’s the link to the article that shows energy expenditure is greatest in the afternoon:

(Ryan) #7

thank you all for your answers.
i saw you were all asking about my sleep habits.
so im used to wake up late and i would like to change it.
the problem is when i do the fasting when i wake up late it is much easier for me not to eat until 9pm or even 11pm but versa, when i wake up at 7 or 8 am i become very hungry at 12pm or 1pm and i can feel the starving if i dont eat until 3pm and its much harder to fast until 6 or 7 pm.

do you have any solutions?

(Ryan) #8

and another one, when i go to the gym and lifting heavy, should i lift between the 2 meals or eat before the meal or after the last meal?
because i know the fasting is effecting the performances of heavy lifting.

(Allie) #9

Better to sort your sleep issues out first and work on the fasting afterwards as if you’re wanting to lose body fat, that messed up sleep pattern will be your worst enemy.

(Omar) #10

The time window for ingesting protein after excersise is 24 hours. Starting about 5 hours after the workout