Is Hunger Friend or Foe?

(hottie turned hag) #41

I think you hit it dead on here. Really good analysis. :+1:

I never crave another steak after eating a big one, but I always craved more fresh mozz (my fave cheese) after eating 16 oz of it. But prior to this week was always able to NOT EAT MORE so this new no self control thing HAS to be be etiologically based in my system’s reactions to being so small. At 116 (or maybe lower, won’t know til May 30) I am at my lowest weight ever since before puberty.

The timing of my forced-by-unavailability experiment is perfect as my local daughter and I are leaving for a week next Th to visit another daughter in another state for a week; that daughter and fam are vegan so there won’t be anything in her house resembling cheese and my diet while there will be only what I bring in. I’m going to buy pepperoni (she doesn’t like meat cooked in her house) and eggs so can continue the truly carnivore thing while there as well.

Yep. The Foodies will hate me for this but… stop trying to make food taste better if you have an appetite control problem.

(mole person) #43

Yes. So much this.

(hottie turned hag) #44

Argh @carolT I never had this problem until now. My case supports @Ilana_Rose’s analysis above. I used to scoff and sneer (I’m a harsh sort) at those who couldn’t resist food.
HA laugh’s on me as of this week :cheese::cheese::cheese:

(John) #45

Perfect example of this. I have been buying bulk, raw, unsalted nuts. I will buy one or two pounds of them to take advantage of sales. I eat them, but never overeat them. Those big bags of walnuts or pecans may last a month or two.

Last week my wife bought some roasted, salted mixed nuts. I ended up eating those, and instead of a handful being plenty, it just made me want more.

The can of mixed nuts lasted maybe a week. Gone now, but a reminder of one of my weaknesses.

When I’m maintaining or trying to gain I’ll eat anything/everything keto but when I want to cut? Chicken & broccoli it is - nice enough & nutritious enough but I couldn’t overeat it if I tried because it simply isn’t appetising.

Also had an issue recently where I was not eating enough due to a stress induced decrease in appetite - I was definitely hungry but had no appetite for any food. I’m sure I’ve encountered this difference between hunger/appetite before (I always lose weight when I’m stressed) but I never really stopped to think about it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

I’m not so sure about this, actually, since the human default is to stop producing lactase after weaning.

I know of only two mutations that allow lactase production to persist into adulthood: among the Maasai of Africa and among northern Europeans, both cultures where dairy has survival value.