Is Dietary Saturated fat Inflammatory?

(Solomom A) #1

In your latest podcast (2Ketodudes, Dec 3, 2018) with Jimmy and the Wife on their new book, a comment was made to the effect that dietary saturated fat is inflammatory. Does the Science and experience bear this out? Even though this is the official line, that has not been my experience. Virtually all animal foods have more than a fair bit of saturates.

There’s some associative evidence that dairy fats are good for your heart.

Most people these days especially on this forum would agree that saturated fats are better than polyunsaturated oils. Question is are monounsaturated fats such as olive oil better still?

Fat is a fascinating subject. There is saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, omega 3, omega 6, omega 9. Short, medium and long chain. Any other categories? Then there are the many individual fatty acids within these contexts. Does anyone know where to find an exhaustive list of all the natural fatty acids found in food? I couldn’t find one by doing a quick search.

(Solomom A) #5

If I am not gorging myself with excess, and it’s real food that has been part of our evolution, I consider it as most optimum.

(Karen) #6

https://canolagrowers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Canola-Info-English-Fat-Chart-Pad-Web-2016-Option-A-1.jpg

(Carl Keller) #7

Several studies have shown that saturated fats trigger adipose ( fat tissue) inflammation… but I wonder what else was consumed in those studies. Maybe this was in conjunction with refined carbs?

From personal experience, I truly felt like an old man before I started keto. EVERYTHING hurt and ached within a few hours of waking up and it got worse as the day went on. After a week of keto, it was if the sun came out after decades of painful darkness. My bodily inflammation was an inkling of what it once was. What changed? I cut sugar, lowered carbs and add a lot of saturated fats. So for me, the experience says saturated fats do not cause inflammation… on the contrary.

Even after a lot of physical exertion I have zero soreness. Last week I did a lot of lifting heavy objects in the attic and I fully expected to be sore since I was overusing muscles I typically don’t use much. The next morning, not one muscle remembered all the heavy lifting.