Is Dairy Harmful or Beneficial? -- A podcast/youtube/article

(Bob M) #1

From Chris Kresser:

I thought it was interesting, and mirrors what I think about dairy, although I seem to have zero issues with dairy (Mr. Kresser can’t drink milk or have store-bought yogurt, unlike me).

He doesn’t get into raw versus not raw or A1/A2 protein, though, which is too bad.

When I typed this in, the right side shows this:

See the bottom thread. Many of the studies (admittedly, not done on low carb folk) show exactly the opposite: higher dairy = lower weight. (And they use actual blood data, not FFQs.) See the Kresser article.

I have seen many say that if they eat cheese, they will overeat it. If that’s the case, then cheese is bad. However, I don’t have that effect, unlike say with nuts or bacon, which I don’t eat because I overeat them.

Anyway, the Kresser article is one more opinion about dairy.

(Chuck) #2

I am 75 and I have drank milk my whole life. I grew up on the farm drinking milk fresh from the cow. Also, homemade butter, and even buttermilk.
But yes there are individuals that get sick from milk and some other dairy products, but to say milk is totally bad is just wrong.

(Bob M) #3

One of the arguments I see made is that milk is made for fattening baby cows, so therefore should be fattening for humans.

However, I’ve been drinking raw milk from Jersey cows (produce A2 protein milk), and losing weight while doing it. Now, I’m not drinking a ton of milk, only a small glass a day, so that factors into it, but the milk = fattening idea just doesn’t pan out. In fact, I encourage my kids to drink this milk too (and they do, which is why I only have a small glass a day – I want them to have more, and it’s hard to find).

There are some people who actually do get inflammation from “dairy”. For those people, they should either take a look at raw dairy or cheese, and if those products don’t work, then dairy isn’t good for them.

By the way, I have some buttermilk. What do I do with it?

(Chuck) #4

Drink it I love buttermilk, but it is also good to cook with. As far as milk being fattening as long as your body is geared to use fat as fuel then I don’t see the issue. I mix 4 ounces of whole milk with 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk to make my smoothies. And if I happen to be out of almond milk then I will use 8 ounces of whole milk for my smoothies.
The way I do my smoothies they are a nutritious meal into themselves. I add fresh spinach, berries, whey protein, sometimes coconut oil and cocoa powder. I also have gotten to where I plan my meals either the night before or the morning before I break my intermittent fasting.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I don’t mean this question to sound snarky, but what does “overeat” mean in this context? Simply eating a quantity larger than you think it should be? Compulsively eating past the point of satiety?

Also, are there effects? If you didn’t gain weight or inches and didn’t see a worsening of some disease marker, would it count as overeating?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I take exception to that word “fattening,” and suspect that those who use it have an agenda. The purpose of milk is not to fatten the baby mammal, but to enable it to grow big and strong. When I was a kid, we were encouraged to drink whole milk, so that we, too, could grow big and strong.

It is true that cow’s milk contains the sugars lactose and galactose, and the sugar content per cup (240 mL) rises as the fat is removed. But any nut “milk” that contains “evaporated cane juice” or “agave nectar” contains the sugar sucrose, and you can’t tell me that’s not fattening!

Yes, it’s still overeating, wasteful, probably a burden to the body - and to the mind as well if we hate overeating.

I think overeating here means that it doesn’t give proper satiation (or we don’t care as the food triggers that) so we just eat and eat and in the end we consume much more than using a better item.

To me personally, overeating means that I definitely eat over my energy need, no matter how much is that currently (I can’t know that, after all but I can have an educated guess). But I can understand if overeating a single item means for someone consuming very much of something while a better item wouldn’t do that…? Or IDK, it’s not how I use the word but I understand that most of us have food items where we don’t seem to have an off switch…

I never liked the word “fattening” as diet things used it for BS. No food item is inherently fattening, I mean, they don’t simply cause fattening, they may help with that in the case of some people but the amount and what else we eat, how much we need etc. matters a lot too!
But if something fattening, that’s something sugary, I agree. We still need to abuse it or be sensitive or something…
Cow milk isn’t some magical fattening substance, I don’t think it’s how it works… Especially for humans who just drink a little of it and not try to live on it as the baby cow.

I don’t drink milk or eat yogurt, but I go through a 300ml tub of cream and more a day without issues. Also I eat a fair bit of cheese. No weight issues at all, and my body appears to be streamlining further. It’s different for everyone. I remember when growing up I was encouraged to drink whole fat milk. It’s what we were given in school. It’s what I give my little boys now to keep their bones and teeth healthy. They also eat yogurt, and my oldest boy eats both cheese and whipped cream with nothing added the same way I like it. Neither of them wants to eat eggs, but I’m sure that will come in time. My concensus on dairy, the higher in fat the healthier and the less problematic. Low fat dairy I wouldn’t give to my children at all.

Protein Pancakes! or soak chicken tenderloins in it all seasoned up overnight then pork rind bread them and fry em’ up! I used to also do bisquits with Carbquik and buttermilk. (don’t think thats made anymore).