Is counting backwards a little bit of a pain?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Not sure if I’m the only one doing SV who deals with this, but I always set my SV machine for quite a bit longer than I expect to do a cooking, just in case I cant get right to it, it will be ready whenever I am. The problem is, sometimes I’ll set it for 24 hrs… sometimes 40… sometimes 36 ? Then, the next day, it says, it has 6 hrs, and 23 minutes left, and I start trying to calculate how long it has already been going, and I’m like, “Wait… did I set it for 30 hrs this time ? … or was it 36 hrs” ? Urggg…

So here’s my solution :slight_smile:
I just bought this cheap little digital timer clock ($7.99) on Amazon. So I can start it, right when I start the SV machine. Then it doesn’t matter how long I had it set for, as it counts forward, not reverse. I can see at a glance how long I’ve been cooking, with no reverse calculations needed :slight_smile:
One note: In case any of you decide to get a timer, some of these only count to a maximum of 24 hrs. I made sure this one counted to 99 hrs :wink:

(Bob M) #2

If you have an Alexa/echo, you can do something similar, only it would count down not up. So, you can say, “Alexa, set a sous vide timer for 30 hours”. And if you get a Amazon clock, it will show you there’s a timer running.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

I should have guessed :slightly_smiling_face:

But I’m good with a timer beside my SV tub. In fact, I’m using my SV machine / tub up pretty high, to be away from the pets, and out of the way, and so even checking the timer on the SV machine is a bit of a hassle, as I have to climb up on a chair… But with the timer, right beside it, I can see it, looking straight at it.

(bulkbiker) #4

Which sous vide stick do you have? Doesn’t it have an app?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

I have the best one :slight_smile: lol And thankfully, it doesn’t have an app. I use my phone too much already. Don’t mind me :slight_smile:
I have the VPCOK, and I love it ! I bought one for about $70 and thought I got a great deal… Used it like 20 times in the first month, then bought another for $59.85 just for a backup. I’m probably averaging 3 SV cooks a week. Even doing multiple cooks at the same time.