Is clarified butter the safest high temp cooking oil/fat? I'm thinking it is

Its smoke point is 485F, contains almost no PUFA, and the PUFA it does contain is a perfect ratio of 1:1 omega-6 to omega-3.

I like doing high temp cooking from time to time, and well PUFA oxidizes the easiest with heat, so I am thinking clarified butter since it doesn’t have much PUFA.

It’s natural, and doesn’t require a fancy refining process like vegetable oils. No chemicals, machinery and high heat to refine it. You can easily make it at home by evaporating the water , seperating out the milk fats:

From another interesting link:

“For searing, browning and other methods of cooking requiring higher temperatures, ghee and avocado oil seem like the best choices. When it comes to resistance to oxidation, ghee might take the cake, but avocado oil appears to have the highest smoking point of all oils, even though it does have 13.5% PUFAs.

Decided to clarify some Kerrygold unsalted butter – figure it has to be even healthier than cornfed, even though twice the cost.

DSC_2424

DSC_2425

DSC_2426

(Carol E. ) #4

Lovely liquid gold :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I like cooking with tallow. Lard, also. They have a very high smoke point and are mostly saturated and monounsaturated. The only oil I cook with is coconut oil.