Introduction to Lifting

(Julio Araujo) #41

That is a great video (Ted Niamen on Exersice) and I have been following his advice with IF.

I feel amazing…

(Boston_guy) #42

Bill DeSimone is a trainer who ruptured a bicep and tricep, then got into the biomechanics of lifting safely. He has a lot of smart things to say about Joint-friendly exercise. He calls it Congruent exercises to exercise in accordance with the muscle’s natural strength curves.

Quick runthrough of the exercises:

Full presentation:

(Auden) #43

Hi! I know you posted this awhile ago, but I am going to try this method using the nautilus-type machines. So thank you for posting! It’s hard to know where to start because its been so long since I was lifting (college athlete long ago), but this sounds like a great way to ease into it. I have always disliked the weight room, but doing keto and IF, I suddenly want to lift weights again.

(charlie3) #44

We have some things in common. I’m 69, lifting, and maintaining trails on the family ancestral land, when I can be there. I find swinging a pick for cutting roots and pulling out rocks is a magnificant whole body exercise. I was a lifter for 10 years 30 years ago. My very good home gym waited patiently for me to get interested again. It hasn’t aged a day. I don’t follow any system except my own. I’m half as strong as 30 years ago in cardio and weight. Time will tell if I can close the gap. I try to be in touch wiith my body and know how much work and how much rest it needs. In younger days I exploited my metabolism to grow muscle. Today II exploiit muscle to grow metabolism. It feels great to be back lifting again.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

A concept that I have not seen discussed upthread is periodization.
Everything works well and then it stops working.
A thing that I have done in the past is to change the workout every 4-6 weeks.
A change to lifting pattern is a good way to change it up. So, 2x15 as a set rep to a 3x-8-10 to a 5x5 is a change. A favorite workout style of mine was introduced in Men’s Health with Brady Quinn, where an exercise is done with three different patterns in the same workout, with a second exercise doing something else, and some sprints. The following day would be three different patterns working then something else, and something working the original movement pattern.
The split used in this workout was:
M: 3x4 at 50% 1RM, 1 second to lower, 1 second to pause, then explosive lift.
3x8-10 with whatever you can do with good form, still lifting fast, lowering slow in the eccentric portion.
Finally 3x1 with 3x 30 second isometric holds using 50% 1RM.
Then a 1x8, 1xfail with the second exercise.
Day 1: Barbell Bench Press + Swiss ball leg curl
Day 2: Front Squat + Dumbbell bent over row.
Day 4: Pullup + Bulgarian Split Squat
Day 5: Romanian Deadlift + Military Press.

My point is, doing straight 5x5 on everything may not be ideal for your use. Different set-rep patterns, different exercise variations of 7 basic movements… Lots of ways to recycle programs to keep yourself varied enough to stay in the Everything Works For a While zone.

(Jamie Hayes) #46

Just remember that you only need to do the “big 5” being": Leg press, Chest Press, Seated Row, Shoulder Press and Lat Pull down.

Use a weight that is light enough for you to continue moving it SLOWLY (5 to 10 seconds up and 5 to 10 seconds down) for at least 60 seconds. Don’t stop until you’ve gone over 100 seconds.

On any exercise where you can keep it moving for 100 seconds, put the weight up by a small increment the next time. The whole session should not take any more than 30 minutes. Aim to do it twice a week.

Please let me know how you go. Sure you can add extra exercises later: deadlift and abs.

When you’re using a weight that’s light enough to keep it going 60 seconds, in the first rep or two your strength far exceeds the weight and this is a warm up. And so there is no need to do warm up sets, or even more than one set in total.

Keep a record of every workout.

(Jamie Hayes) #47

I like to keep it short and simple.

(What The Fast?!) #48

I just heard about this strategy for weightlifting and MAN, it seems much more time-effective!! I listened to Kristin Rowell on 2 different podcasts talking about this method and not only has run 22 marathons, but also has her pro card in figure competitions. I’m currently doing an upper body/lower body split, but I think I want to switch to this type of workout. Could I still do an upper body lower body split with this style of lifting (i.e. 3 times a week, Week 1 would include two upper body days and 1 lower body day, Week 2 would have the opposite) OR is it best to just do two days of full body? (I’m trying to save my legs as I do Reformer Pilates and cycling as well - I find that more than one leg day a week doesn’t give me enough recovery time…but I could be convinced otherwise.)

Also, what is this style of training called if I want to learn more about it?