Introduction to Lifting

(Keto Krazy) #21

@joel.chandler I was fortunate enough to be able to attend this seminar in person and meet Doug. I used Nautilus machines many years ago and have been trying to get back to weight lifting and Body by Science has been of major interest to me. Your explanations above and below are fabulous, and actually clarified a couple of things for me. I thank you so much for taking the time to write all this out.:gift_heart:

(Jamie Hayes) #22

The pleasure is all mine Joel. Let me know if you have an specific questions. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll write something on a topic that Iā€™ll enjoy as well. Happy training.

PS I train on MedX equipment created by Arthor Jones, inventor of Nautilus.

(Connor L) #23

I do Stronglifts 5x5. Anything wrong with that?

(Chris Bair) #24

Nope, thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing (again). Nice and simple, the mobile app is freaking awesome.

love it and will be starting my 4th round in a couple of weeks.

(Jo Lo) #26

Lifting is a sore point with me, pun intended. Iā€™ve done Crossfit for two years, but last month wrecked my lower back doing multiple heavy deadlifts as part of a 25 minute WOD. I did about 50 70% deadlifts in 25 minutes. The trainer was screaming ā€œGo Go Go Lift Heavy!ā€, and I thought I could do it, but it was clearly too much. The next day was painful and I still canā€™t quite turn around, nearly 4 weeks later. When I mentioned it to a trainer they tried to blame me for ā€œpoor formā€ (not the workout for being frigging nuts).

At the same time I had been doing the Big 5 once a week after reading BBS with great interest, and listening to Dougā€™s videos. I had just listened to one in which Doug said that ā€œOlympic lifts were never designed to be done in high reps, as they do in Crossfitā€. Ah men Doug.

I plan to keep doing the BBS Big 5 because thereā€™s little or no chance of injury and Iā€™m seeing good improvement. However, I have become skeptical of doing multiple heavy Olympic lifts for time, regardless of who is yelling at meā€¦

(Jeff Ryan) #27

The thing about Crossfit is that youā€™re aim is to do as much reps possible in a given time. Now once fatigue your body will start losing form and if you keep going could injury yourself. So itā€™s a sport you really need to be careful of knowing when to stop. I see alot of people injure themselves due to poor form in Cross fit.

(Jamie Hayes) #28

Iā€™d never do fast lifts.

I like safety and effectiveness of super slow technique. You actually use about 25-30% lower weight too.

Remember that ā€œMuscles canā€™t count reps!ā€ They only respond to the tension you place them under and the degree of overload/effort from the very last rep.

In my humble view, muscles canā€™t count sets either. I like doing one ā€œfull setā€ that takes around 90 seconds to get to total muscular failure to create safe inroad. Iā€™d be interested to know what is the duration of your average set.

(Jo Lo) #29

Good comments, Jamie. I agree completely.

The crossfit workouts are one hour, with often about 15-20 minutes spent lifting either working up to a one rep max, or as part of other things in a WOD.

The BBS workouts are 10-15 minutes, as explained by Dr. McGuff, and adequate to reach complete failure.

(Jo Lo) #30

Yes, correct. I am objecting to that as well. But the trainer will blame the injured person rather than the nutty workout. So its partly a cultural problemā€¦

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #31

Slow reps are a staple in my lifting routine. Theyā€™re so very effective!

(Jamie Hayes) #32

Like a golfer who never plays without their handicap card, I never train without my program card. I am for a PB (Personal Best) on every exercise.

As Ken Blanchard said in his famous book The One Minute Manager, ā€œThe number one motivator of people is feedback on results.ā€

Sadly, almost all fitness clubs today no longer provide program cards, or they are very out of date or confusing. The fitness clubs say ā€œIf you want a program, pay a personal trainer.ā€ They omit to say ā€œOtherwise figure it out yourself.ā€

However at the club I attend, nobody strength trains without a card that they use to log their performance on every exercise.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #33

I keep workout journals, detailed workout journals.

(Jeff Ryan) #34

If the trainer sees you struggle and tells you keep going with your poor form then thatā€™s his fault. When I do drop sets in my hypertrophy program I drop the weight once i start losing form.

(Dave) #35

Yeah I agree that form can brake down but donā€™t let that stop you doing something like crossfitā€¦ I have done crossfit and I quite like doing crossfit metcons on occasion (Do power building workouts most of the time)ā€¦ I donā€™t go to a box anymore but I learnt a lot about lifting and mostly about all my weaknessesā€¦ It depends on what you want to doā€¦ Lots of people play a contact sport and would get hurt way more often and be more sore.

(Jeff Ryan) #36

Yes I love the benefits of crossfits but yes the breaking the form is what you need to be really wary of.

(Jacquie) #37

I do the same. :slight_smile: I find it easier to track workouts than food.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #38

Much easier! LOL

(ryancrawcour) #39

You canā€™t blame Crossfit as a concept if you do it incorrectly, or if you have a shit coach. Crossfit is about HIT, complex movements, metcon (metabolic conditioning etc.) Like anything, including running, rowing, swimming, walking, if you do it incorrectly, too much too quickly, with poor form, you will get hurt; but like everything else YOU ARE IN CONTROL! If you feel you canā€™t complete a WOD with GOOD FORM speak to the coach and have it modified for you. Any good Crossfit coach shouldnā€™t need to be prompted and should have mods to any exercise ready to go for those, like me, that canā€™t CORRECTLY perform the exercise with GOOD FORM.

Donā€™t blame Crossfit because you hurt yourself. Blame yourself.

(Jeff Ryan) #40

Sorry did I blame Crossfit concept??

Crossfit is great but knowing when to stop is hard for some especially if some of the PTā€™s are bad.

So yes you only have yourself to blame.

You can also injure yourself while sleeping if you have incorrect form lol