Introduction and question

(Nick) #1

Hey there!

Thanks for the add! Lots of good info here and looking to learn.

A little about me. I am 41 5’6 and 206lbs. I started a keto diet 2.5 weeks ago at 212lbs. Down a notch in my belt already and enjoying the results. I have been pretty healthy most of my life but have gained 4-5 lbs a year over the last 10 years. I am a greek american and do all the cooking in the house. With the exception of lamb almost everything i cooked was lean and only used olive oil. So it was hard to change to fattier meat, higher fat and using butter. But really the only thing i miss is pasta and bread.

I have been keeping my carbs below 20 grams a day until today. I have been pretty good about checking everything i eat so i can tally at the end of the day. Today i ended up at around 35 grams. I had 3 cups of kale - 2 cups in a salad and a cup in an avocado juice i made.

As a newbie can anyone tell me what kind of impact that would have? Is it lime starting over again?

Thanks for any input.

No impact in the grand scheme. Keep calm and Keto on. You’re off to a great start!

(Richard Hanson) #3

Hi Nick,

It sounds like you are doing great!

There is no need to start over, just continue on. Missing a macro goal is not a disaster, it is just a learning opportunity.

It is great that you do most of the cooking as it gives you a lot more control over what you are consuming and what goes into your food. Also, there is nothing wrong with olive oil. I use it quite often in salads and I often have a lunch that consists of a ounce of pecans, one brazil nut, and two tbs of a high quality olive oil. I try to use a range of animal fats on oils in my diet.

Persist in your efforts and and reap all the enormous rewards.

Keto for life!

Richard

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

You can still cook with olive oil, some ketoers are no dairy so they don’t use butter nor cheeses. Enjoy some good feta with your meals :slight_smile:

I was a bread addict, still miss not baking it and eating it right out of the oven. I have found some alternatives to it though and enjoy those from time to time.

Don’t worry about missing a macro for one day, it all averages out by the end of the week usually.

Enjoy your good results so far and carry on.

It will be okay. Although 20g of carb is the target for a ketogenic diet, 35 g once in awhile won’t hurt you—especially when you stick to the “right” foods. The idea is to make this sustainable for the long term and there will be days like this in the grand scheme, whether it’s a holiday, vacation trip, etc. What’s most important is that you chose good, low-carb foods which is the real victory. Keto On!