Introducing Myself - Just finished first 10 days

newbies

Hi Everyone - Just wanted to introduce myself. I started about 10 days ago, with the goal of losing about 10 pounds, improving body fat composition, eliminating sugar cravings that drive me nuts, and improving general health. I am 5’4", currently 132 lbs, 58 years old, and have long term chronic health problems.

Background on me: I have experimented with different Ways of Eating for years, due to persistent, super-strong sugar cravings, periodic weight issues (I am never more than 10-15 lbs above ideal weight though), and the chronic health problems. My most recent way of eating was semi-paleo, no processed foods, fairly low carb, but I was eating brown rice regularly as well as lots of veggies.

On that WOE, I was still having a big problem with sugar cravings and also gained weight to the point that I was about 10 lbs overweight and, at least according to my home scale, was up to 34.5% body fat. So I decided I wanted to go super low carb, on the theory that my body just does not handle carbs well. I was researching low carb diets and discovered Keto, so I decided to try it.

At 10 days I am really still in the transitional period, obviously, trying to figure out what foods to eat and how to cook them. So far I am eating mostly meats and eggs, with a little veggies here and there mostly for flavoring. I’m eating two meals a day - the first is bacon and eggs, and the second is a meat-based dish with maybe a few veggies or tomato paste mixed in. All meats and eggs are grass fed/pastured etc. My carbs are well under 20 grams/day but I haven’t started to carefully track fat v. protein. I suspect I am not getting enough fat though and am going to work on that. I’ve also started a medium intensity weight-lifting program to address body composition.

My results so far: The good news is that I am feeling great and my sugar cravings are gone! My food also feels very nourishing and satisfying. I also did not experience the Keto flu at all, possibly because I drank a lot of water with added electrolytes (this is something I’ve been doing for years).

The “bad” news - my weight has gone up 1 lb since starting Keto. According to my scale my body fat levels have gone down by about a percentage, but I’m honestly not sure that the body fat function on my scale is precise enough to trust that reading. So no detectable improvement on those levels yet. I’m thankful for the info in this forum because if I hadn’t read it I would probably be freaking out at seeing no weight loss so far, but I am going to take it on faith for now and hang in there.

Oh, and I have been testing my urine, which shows I am in ketosis, but I also understand that the urine tests are not necessarily reliable as they just measure excreted ketones not blood level. Would people recommend springing for a blood testing kit at this stage? I have hesitated due to the cost but if it would be really helpful I’m wiling to do it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your posts - I am finding this forum super helpful! Any comments or suggestions are most welcome. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #2

Welcome, Sophie! :slightly_smiling_face:

The carb thing is huge, and you’ve got it nailed. My opinion - that is much of the battle, almost all of it at times. The refinements and tracking may or may not appeal to us or be warranted; there is so much that is individual.

You’re admirably sensible and self-aware. Enjoy the journey.

(Ashley) #3

The blood tests are expensive, some people do it to test, most don’t. I’ve lost 40+ lbs in the first three months just eating keto. I’ve stalled but that happens sometimes. Just eat keto imo and spend the money on keto foods.

Compliments welcome also, lol! :smile: Thanks very much for your input and kind words.

Thanks for your input! I may hold off a bit on purchasing the blood testing kit to see if the weight loss/fat loss starts over the next few weeks.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Welcome, @Sophie107!

You are definitely on the right track, so keep ketoing on. Just a couple of random comments:

First, with only ten pounds to lose, you are going to find it happening slowly, so don’t freak.

Second, it’s possible that you actually did lose a bit of fat already, and it is possible that you put on some muscle, but it’s also possible that your 1 lb. gain is just water retention or that your scale hates you and is messing with your head. A more reliable indication of progress is the fit of your clothing.

You don’t really need to measure your ketone level, and even the blood monitor can only tell you how much β-hydroxybutyrate is in your blood, not how much your liver is making or your organs are consuming. On the other hand, if you really want to measure, why not? In case you haven’t read it anywhere yet: don’t chase ketone numbers; the fact that you are producing ketone bodies at all is enough.

Thanks everyone!