Introducing myself jrtx

(Joan ) #1

It is always a little awkward to jump in and start posting in a new community. I tend to lurk for a long time and then post a little here and there. Today, I thought I would jump in and introduce myself instead of lurking.
I have been dancing with keto/lchf for a couple of years. I haven’t committed to it really until late July of this year. I did go off in October because I was in India (rural villages) and had no choice in the food I was given. That experience really convinced me that I need to do this fully committed.
I have read quite a bit, and am almost through all the 2 keto dudes podcasts (love them!) but am still trying to figure out if I should be testing my blood -ketones or glucose.
Artificial sweeteners are a mystery too - which ones, why are some better than others, how do I know what they are by brand name, and how many are there really?
My personal story is that 25 years ago as a young healthy person I was told I had PCOS. After some research I knew it was a hormone issue and went to see an endocrinologist. His advice was to take up running and run 5 miles a day. My undiagnosed exercise induced asthma was an issue in my very hot and humid climate. Fast forward a few years, I married and we started a family. I gained 50 pounds in that pregnancy and could never lose it in spite of WW and other diets. The next pregnancy my OB tested me later in the pregnancy for GD and sure enough I had GD. My OB said that she suspects my weight gain in my 1st pregnancy was also due to undiagnosed GD. Third baby GD too. My follow ups post pregnancy never showed T2D. My OB was puzzled by my inability to lose the weight. “You were always so thin” and then suggest I eat only veggies. Well, my first thought was, kill me cause I couldn’t live only eating veggies. I love my cream sauces! That first baby is almost 18 and I am still carrying that weight. I feel best when doing keto, but still struggle with celebrations.
I fully understand that I have had a metabolic issue for 25 years. I believe that I can heal my body with Keto and fasting. I just have to keep getting on that horse. I will be 51 on Tuesday and I feel like I am starting the second part of my life -fully in control of where I go because of the knowledge I have acquired through educating myself about what is happening in my body.
If you have read this far, you are a trooper!

(VLC.MD) #2

The cure for your insulin resistance is Ketogenic weight loss.
Learn where the carbs are and eliminate them.

(Liz ) #3

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story! I find engaging in this community & listening to the 2Dudes really helps me stay focused on Keto & all the health benefits I’m experiencing even when the weight loss part gets frustrating. I hope you find the keys you need to stay the course.

(VLC.MD) #4

You’ll feel so good after a year of straight keto, you’ll be 34 again !

(Joan ) #5

Thanks for the encouragement!

(CharleyD) #6

Welcome aboard @jrtx !
No better time than today to declutter to diet, and then put all that T2DM worry away for good!

(Rick) #7

Welcome! You will find very helpful and supportive people here. Keto really works and is a very fulfilling way to enjoy food and improving health!

(Richard Hanson) #8

Good Morning Joan,

I am so glad that you have decided to “jump in and start posting”, and thank you for sharing your personal story. I completely understand how you can feel like you are starting the second part of your life and I wish you a joyous birthday on Tuesday.

Keto is a new life, a better life. I remember gorging late at a night, being painfully full, even while enduring waves of intense hunger. I would think, I am killing myself, I am eating myself to death, and I did not realize just how much of a burden this was on my soul until it was gone. Almost every day I would think about my own mortality. Now, I look to the future with honest optimism and hope, a second life indeed.

Knowledge is power over your own fears, your own health. Keto for life, soldier on, you are a trooper!

Warmest Regards,
Richard

Happy Birthday! I’m new too and I’m a little angry I just found this at age 40!

Best,
Miki

(Joan ) #10

Richard,
Thank you for your kind and personal response. I needed to read it today.
I ate 8 Lindt chocolates the other day in my car. (hanging head in shame). My father died from alcoholism at 48. I have begun to think of my carb addiction in the same light as alcoholism. The difference is in impairment but it functions as an addiction similarly.
2 Keto Dudes podcasts are my AA meetings for carb junkies. I am not being funny -dead serious. I have a big holiday party tonight and just like an addict, I have been arguing with myself about it won’t hurt to indulge in some sweets if I jump right back on tomorrow. UGH.
I signed onto the forum this morning in search of a glucose chart. I started checking my blood sugar and am trying to figure out the range of good, not-so-good, and girl-you-are-in-trouble numbers. The information out there ranges.
Anyway, I wanted you to know that your warm welcome is helping me stay on the wagon! Bless you for your kindness to a newbie!

(VLC.MD) #11

It happens.

KCKO.

I’m not sure glucose learning is a high priority for a newbie. You need organizing and planning and cooking. Get those delicious meals made and eaten !

(VLC.MD) #12

How did that carbage get in the car ? The reason why that happened is more important than worrying about glucose.

(CharleyD) #13

@jrtx Sugar addiction is a real thing. There’s a FB group, if you like that medium, called Sugarbomb in your Brain hosted by Bitten Jonsson. It’s a closed group and I’d recommend reading the guidelines, but they’ve all been there.

(Consensus is Politics) #14

Welcome to our humble abode.

You are going to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge that you find here. Not a day goes by that I haven’t learned something new. Many things I feel I should have already known, because I find it important, but never learned of it simply because it didn’t fit within the narrative for the sheeple to understand. I have some stories dealing with my own medical issues that reinforces my conspiracy theories.

My paranoia aside​:cowboy_hat_face:, good to see you here, taking control of your own health. I came here a few short months ago doing the same thing. I was Dx with T2D, and I needed to know why the American Diabetes Association recommended I eat about 150 grams of carbs a day. I knew about Keto, I did it a few years ago, and found this site by accident (more likely Devine intervention) and in less than a month did what 45 days of ADA diet and Metformin could not. CURED MY T2D :sunglasses:.

I highly recommend anything by Dr Jason Fung. I’m reading his book “The Obesity Code “ [i love it, my iPhone already knows I’m going to type it and suggests it🤠]

There are plenty of great videos as well. Last and not least a large number of ketotitians here to help you figure darned near anything you can think up. I haven’t seen any trolling here, as far as I could tell. It’s a great family to be a part of. So sit back, relax, and you know the old saying, “Keep Calm and…” well you know the rest😎

I believe in the axiom, “what gets measured gets managed”. If you haven’t already, get your A1c tested (if you’re in the US, this can be done at many pharmacies, there are also self test kits available). After eating HFLC for 3 months, repeat the test. It should decrease substantially.

A glucometer is essential for monitoring insulin resistance. Ignore the charts. Figure out what’s normal for you, track it and watch for improvement over time.

1.Test your fasting glucose every morning, if you’re IR, it will fall as your condition improves
2. If you use artificial sweeteners, test and make sure they’re not glucogenic for you. Reactions are very individualistic.
3. IR is characterized by high postprandial insulin levels for prolonged time. This article gives a good explanation:
https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

(Joan ) #16

Newbie to the forum, been dancing with Keto/LCHF for several years. My brother is a doctor that sent me down the path. I am well versed in food prep and what to eat -just need to stay on track. I have read books: Why We Get Fat, The Ultimate Guide to Fasting, Keto Clarity, The Case Against Sugar, The Obesity Code, The Big Fat Surprise, and Pure White and Deadly. Adding the glucose meter will give me more information about possible triggers (artificial sweeteners, dairy, nuts).

(Joan ) #17

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking. I will get my A1C checked. Didn’t know that pharmacies offered the test. I live in a rural area and that would help a ton!

(Joan ) #18

My daughter requested. This will be more information than you want but it will explain the circumstance for the fall. My step-father is in end stage lung disease. Mom is legally blind and has never driven. They live 50 miles from me. Each week I go and take them to doctor appts, grocery shopping, banking, whatever is needed. Each week mom buys treats for her grandchildren and sends them home with me. I have my daughter keep them out of sight for me. But this day mom got my favorites for daughter. On that long drive home, in traffic, and being hungry… the bag was beside me instead of the way back (because of the heat). Anyway, I indulged. Just like an addict. I am a work in progress and am fully self aware. I think by having the numbers of the effect of such indulgences I will be better able to face the REAL impact of such a choice. Does that make sense? Life is complicated. I am caring for a family (we started a family late so I have a 12, 15, & 18 yo) and aging parents who live 50 miles away. I work part-time and carpool other kids to and from school. It is complicated. :-):smirk:

(Penelope) #19

Hi! I’m Penny. I too gained weight with my first baby - he just turned 25

I was preeclamptic with him (both kids, actually). I was not diagnosed as GD but I think they missed that because my son was 9 lbs 7 oz and preeclamtic babies are usually small, and he was delivered at 35 weeks. I was dx’d gD with my daughter a few years later - diet controlled.

I have been telling people that I have been starving since 1992 - pregnant with first baby- and that is no joke or exaggeration. It has been terrible. For decades now.

When I was pregnant w/ my son the OB told me one day, in response to my weight gain and complaint of this new and uncontrollable hunger “just eat one plateful at meals, no more than two fingers high”.

My husband and I still use that for code around ‘food police’.

I honestly believe keto is saving my life. It took a few weeks of processing the change in habits and getting over hunger and cravings but it really made positive changes in my life.

It’s going to be interesting when I tell my MD that I stopped my insulin in September. I can’t wait!:joy::joy::joy:

(Joan ) #20

I was preeclamptic in all 3 pregnancies and spent time in and out of the hospital. Last baby I was 4 months on bed rest with a 5 year old and almost 3 year old. My babies were smallish and all were delivered early with my daughter being earliest. Poor thing she looked like she needed another month to look healthy.
Thanks for sharing, it really helps to know that all of these things were connected and hearing from other women really helps.