Intro - UK Member

Hi folks,

I thought I’d do a short intro, though I’m not a prolific poster so probably will lurk more than I post. :slight_smile:

I got into keto 2 years ago, and went from 120kg to 97kg in 3 months, before plateauing. To be honest I think I saw 100kg as a bit of an interim target and gradually got slack with the diet when I reached it - causing the plateau.

Anyway, the diet got slacker (partially justified by me doing lots of running) and I crept back up to 110kg over the last year. So I’m effectively considering myself a keto newbie again, starting from scratch since I’m not very well fat adapted right now. I do have the advantage of knowing what I need to do, so am just cracking on with it.

I just wanted to say hello, and thank Carl and Richard for an awesome podcast, and also thank the forum members for their great contributions - well done all!

Keep Calm and Keto On! :+1: :grinning:

PS As a non-Facebook person - THANKS for moving to a forum! :sunglasses:

Edit: I forgot to say, I’m male, and the target is 75kg. So currently 35kg to go.

(Jacquie) #2

Welcome! Hope you’ll decide to participate as you get more comfortable with us! :slight_smile:

(Jules Swart) #3

Welcome!

(Jaidann) #4

Welcome! I too am grateful for the forum! I deleted facebook off my phone and computer about 2 years ago. ONE of the best things I ever did!

(Michelle) #5

Welcome!! Glad you came out of lurking :smile:

I have never gotten the whole FB thing, so happy the forum is here for all.

Welcome. Fellow Brit here - where are you?

(David) #7

Hi. Another New UK member here. Goid luck with progress. I am trying to get into running. I have a little fear that only 2 weeks into keto eating, exercise might provide appetite.

(Megan) #8

Welcome! Good luck! :bacon:

Thanks and good luck yourself. Just for reference when I went properly keto last time, it took me about 6 weeks before my running felt “normal” again, that was how long it took for me to be mostly keto-adapted. In that time, the first runs were awful, but steadily improved.

Good to have another Brit on-board :sunny:

Mini update. I’m now 1 month into keto again. It’s going great, I’m pretty much fat adapted now and am only eating 1-2 meals most days, fasting through till my evening meal is fine most days and I don’t get hungry. I’ve virtually stopped getting food cravings.

I’ve only lost 3kg in the first month, I put this down to a combination of eating more fat than I should to help transition off carbs, and still drinking diet coke occasionally - which testing with my Ketonix tells me is knocking me out of ketosis.

I’ve started being able to run short distances at Z2 pace again, so have started doing short runs every other day. This feels quite difficult and from previous experience I’d expect running to feel normal in another 3-4 weeks as fat adaptation improves. I have an alpine 23km race in 9 weeks, and a trail 50k in about 12 weeks. The plan is to run both of those essentially fasted but with a bit of cheese/meat/macadamias during the events.

I’ve now cut out diet coke completely, and have started taking Berberine (400mg twice daily) to further drop my blood sugar, as I’m highly sensitive to the smallest amount of carbs/too much protein etc. I hadn’t heard of Berberine before joining this forum, but thought it worth a try if it has similar effects as Metformin.

Being British, the hardest thing to cut out has been cups of tea. I still have maybe 1 cup a day with a dash of milk, but I’ve also found that Quest MCT powder makes a reasonable/drinkable substitute in tea (heavy cream is too much for tea - great in coffee though).

Edit: The plan now is to have a bit of a push and try to drop 10kg in the next 9 weeks, before the alpine 23k race. Any excess weight carried is a nightmare with 1700m of climbing/descending over the course distance!

(Jacquie) #12

Thanks for your update. Having an awesome goal, like your alpine race, sounds like a great incentive. Well done and good luck! :slight_smile:

Cheers, I’ve done the race twice before, so I’m looking to improve my time ideally. But yes I think goals help keep you focussed.

I think it’s important to bear in mind, lots of very overweight people think “I’m not the body type to be a runner/cyclist/whatever” - and you may not be when you start off. I hadn’t run since hating it at school, and at 135kg (5 years ago) I couldn’t run 100m. I started small with going for walks, then did the “Couch to 5K” program which is popular in the UK. And I just kept at it, managing to complete 5k, 10k, half marathons etc within a couple of years. I kept slowly and gradually building up over time, and have now completed a handful of marathons and two 50km ultras. I never could have imagined that 5 years ago. I’m not fast, but I do it for the enjoyment and challenge of the event.

(Jacquie) #14

I think that’s the secret! :joy:

(Lee Jones) #15

Haha being a fellow Brit I’m with you on the Tea thing @Vampire.

I’ve found double cream with a lil bit of water to thin it out makes a lovely brew👍🏼