Intermittent Keto

(Mike W.) #41

I tend to exaggerate a bit. For that I apologize. I just feel like I see so many people that are almost BRAGGING about going off plan or “falling off the wagon” for the 713th time. Eventually you have to take some personal responsibility and get your shit together. As you said “you’re either in or out”. You can’t just “Keto” one week and eat crap the next. It’s a recipe for failure and disaster.

This is a support network as much as it is a diet forum. We just have to realise we’re only human (I know that’s a corny line) and people have different thresholds of addiction, willpower etc. Most people post these failures to gain reassurance that they’re not alone and that these weaknesses to a certain extent are normal and common. We just have to be patient and steer them back in the right direction. And if it ever happens to me in the future, which I think is inevitable in some way or another, I hope I get some of that support and encouragement reciprocated.

(Carl Keller) #43

Totally agree with @ChrisW but I might also add that there is another good point of emphasis (among many others) to this way of eating… that is reduced inflammation from not eating (crappy) carbs. It’s an amazing relief to go decades feeling tired and achy and one day waking up and realizing nothing hurts or aches, even after doing strenuous activity.

I can fully understand you wanting to keep one foot in the carb door and not letting go of things your taste buds love because I once felt that way too… but I can you tell this: I don’t miss or crave the sweets and carbs any more. Fat adaption made me forget about them and I have no regrets about choosing keto and my health over tasty garbage. I totally love eating healthy whole foods now. Everything tastes and smells so much better and I now tend to look at processed foods with revulsion. I hope that you can one day say the same.

(Mike W.) #44

Appreciate the response on the redirect. Sometimes I’m a bit of a cynic. Thank you.

No worries. Sorry if I came across as all preachy and ‘holier than thou’.

I’m a very cynical person myself most of the time and I’m sure there are a small amount of people on here who are chronic cheaters only posting on the forum looking for some sort of warped validation for their behavior, but I guess we just need to give most people the benefit of the doubt instead of just writing them off.

I wouldn’t consider my weekend Carb eating a cheat, rather it was more of a strategy to ease my way into full time keto whilst learning more about it and how to maintain a healthier lifestyle. The cynics need to go easy on this forum, different people are all at different stages of their journey.

All good Haych. If easing into it like that eventually gets you full keto then it’s a good means to an end. Sincerely, best of luck!

(Janelle) #48

I’m sorry if any of us seem harsh. I’m not sure it was meant to be. You asked about a hybrid way of eating and most will tell you that the real benefits come when you consistently follow the below 50 carbs (I do 20 whole to ensure I stay in ketosis). I’m always shocked a what the bun adds (in carbs) to a burger or today, I went out to eat where everything was served on pasta - I just asked them to leave the pasta off and they gave me more veggies.

If you want to do it, there are was to make keto less extreme without “cheating”.

All good. I am here to learn :slight_smile: I am keen to hear about ways of making keto less extreme.

The hardest part of this diet for me is meal prepping and knowing what to prep, especially when I have training on that particular day, but I’m working on it.

My thinking is keeping a journal and planning will help, That’s my next challenge. Remembering I am only just starting.

(Running from stupidity) #50

You can’t change the basis of it, though. It is what it is. You’re in ketosis or you’re not. There’s no middle ground.

Look up Low Carb/High Fat diets - they tend to be a little more flexible.

(Janelle) #52

Taco salad, wings with blue cheese, chicken with a lower carb pasta sauce and mozzarella, order a loaded pizza and just eat the toppings, sauté some stew meat with mushrooms and beef broth and sour cream, eat an omelette and bacon for any meal.

It’s pretty simple. Eat eggs, meat, pork, chicken with skin, fish. Deli meats if you are on the go. Some veggies, and the occasional fruit (berries).

…and last night the wife and I ordered a double beef, double bacon and double cheese and salad burger without the buns. Very filling.

In regards to meal prepping, that is a big part of keto. But alot of people cook large batches at once and freeze in portions for future ease of use.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #55

Eating a high fat diet is only healthy without the sugar and carbs. The two together are a recipe for arterial plaque. Maybe just eat the low carb options at the family meal making sure there’s enough for you to be happy. Because everyone else is eating carbs doesn’t mean that you have to. The thing my mom used to say when I was a kid comes to mind, (If all your friends are jumping off the bridge does that mean you have to as well?). Know your body and listen to it, it’s telling you “I feel like crap when I binge on the weekend”. What’s right is not always easy or comfortable socially.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #56

I use sous vide for cooking meats and it’s good to have precooked meat for quick use in a meal. I cook for myself only. Buy large cuts of meat, portion different quantities in seal a meal bags and freeze. Saves money and makes meal prep fast and simple. Also superior quality meat after cooking sous vide. I make a couple pounds of 48 hour slow cooked pulled pork and use it in different recipes through the week. Same with half dozen chicken thighs or a turkey beast. I buy whole turkeys and quarter them and seal into four bags and freeze. I love this time of year since whole turkeys aren’t available much of the year. Bought one for $8 a week before Thanksgiving and they’ll be cheaper still after New Year’s Day.

(Running from stupidity) #57

#PREACHITBROTHER

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #58

I don’t SV (yet) but I precook a lot of meat. Crock pot, smoker, ground beef, ground turkey. Vacuum sealing is wonderful. We can pull out a bag and have a meal the same day.