Intermittent Keto

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #21

Honestly, in my opinion, no. And not trying to argue or anything, I promise. The links shared above are definitely useful if you want to look more into the SAD with calorie counting versus Keto. If you don’t want to follow standard Keto, I’d definitely recommend to anyone that they cut refined sugars, starches, grains, etc. Which really doesn’t fall in line with the SAD. We’ve been conditioned to believe that there are “good” grains and “good” sugars (like honey, agave, etc.) But the reality is that none of those things are actually good for your body. Just my two cents!

This sounds reasonable.

Maybe but most people don’t. If you eat very low fat you may be able to get away with the food pyramid way of eating but most of us don’t believe it is the best diet for humans - healthy humans or otherwise.

People can be a ‘healthy’ weight & still be unheathy.

(Running from stupidity) #24

Trust me, it’s always a fight. One dogma expert called anyone who refused to agree with him using his words “science deniers” this morning.

(Janelle) #25

No - I’m no doctor but what I’ve learned by going full on keto is that my body processes food more efficiently. I don’t know why I would want to undo that.

The poster I replied to is implying that most people aren’t that strict about it. I totally disagree. The people who are having great success are eating 50 carbs or less and rarely cheat. They get in and stay in ketosis. They are rewarded with weight loss and health benefits. My weight loss is a little slower but I’m not gaining and that’s really important for me.

Once you’ve been fully keto, you can have some carbs on occasion and be ok but you can’t just do it when you want and think you won’t gain or undo what you’ve worked for.

(John) #26

DietDoctor.com discusses various levels of reduced carb diets.

If you are metabolically healthy and already at your healthy weight, then just eating healthy foods in appropriate quantities is probably fine for you.

Not sure why you’d be considering changing your eating drastically if you are already at a healthy weight in the first place, unless you are trying to reverse some other illness that would be helped by restricting carb intake.

All of my reading is pointing towards a more mixed/balanced diet approach than one extreme or the other. Just exploring.

Yeah this statement confuses me. I’d be interested to hear what you base that on. Seems like a bit of an overblown figure. Maybe 25% or at a stretch maybe 50% but not 90%.

What do you define as an ‘actual keto diet’?

I’m curious. Literally exploring and trying to understand whats out there. Especially for something that is as important as what we eat.

So do that.

Still exploring. Haven’t landed yet.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #32

No drawing board needed. Keep carbs to 20g or less and only incidentally carbs in green leafy veggies and avocado. Moderate protein and fat to satiety. Once you are fat adapted, in 3 weeks to several months you can back off fat some if you want to lose weight and also adjust protein to exercise and / or age needs.

If you never get rid of inflammation because you do produce ketones consistently and remove PUFAs you risk clogged arteries. I am not providing medical advise.

Thank you for the lead. This is something i will explore.

(John) #34

Well in that case, read up on the Mediterranean and DASH diets as well. I looked at all current modern recommended ways of eating and found that the good ones were very similar overall when looked at objectively.

(Mike W.) #35

Staying in Nutritional Ketosis for the foreseeable future.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #36

I feel that it really depends on how long you have been keto and if you are fully fat adapted. Once you are, you may be one of the lucky ones that are metabolically flexible and can switch it up. The 2dudes @richard and @carl do discuss it occasionally in some of their podcasts in their first year. (I am catching up lol…)

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #37

There is no combination
You either Keto in, or Keto out, you don’t do it half way inbetween.

I’m sure there’s a few fad keto dieters on here who are just on it to quickly lose a few pounds, and then there are those who might fall off the horse for one reason or another for a long period of time. Sure. But a 90% prediction of failure makes it sound like you don’t hold the members of the forum or the long term effectiveness of this diet in much high esteem at all! Which is a bit sad really.

Sounds a little extreme.

It’s not extreme. It’s just the way keto works. Getting into a state of ketosis and eventually fat adaption is the whole point of this diet, not just a change in the foods you eat. And to do that, you have to follow it all the way otherwise it just does not work. It’s as simple as that.