Intermittent Keto

Only that you’re not actually eating a ketogenic diet if you eat ‘normally’ on weekends. You’ll never properly fat adapt because you’re constantly switching between fat & sugar burning modes. You may be able to add in some carbs once you’re fat adapted but that can take several months. Further, if you eat high fat and high carb you’re essentially eating the standard American diet which is pretty [spoiler]bloody[/spoiler] bad for anyone.

(Running from stupidity) #5

Maybe there’s some correlation showing here.

No doubt. I am in experimentation mode, new to Keto so trying different combinations. Its starting to dawn on me that I may need to do this for a little longer, become Keto adapted (over 30 days perhaps).

(Mike W.) #7

I would wager 90% of the members here aren’t following an “actual keto diet” (which seriously confuses me) That being said high fat + high carb = no bueno

ok, back to the drawing board it is for me then…

Start here :slightly_smiling_face:

I think for the metabolically healthy that near enough is probably good enough & there are some metabolically spectacular folk that can pop in & out of ketosis with ease but if you don’t fat adapt first then you’ll never get the chance to find out.

This was definitely helpful: http://www.2ketodudes.com/#science

So is it fair to say:

1. Go full Keto and reduce heart disease?
  2. Go full Carb/Pyramid diet and calorie count making sure you don’t over eat?

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #13

#1. Definitely #1. I think you’ll be more miserable following the SAD and counting calories forever than you will be cutting carbs. Just my opinion.

(Running from stupidity) #14

No, not fair to say that at all. Keto works because it’s a HORMONE control diet, the other fails almost always because it counts calories, and there are no shortage of threads on here about that so I don’t want fire up that fight again :slight_smile:

Taking out the feeling crap bit. Factually is it true that Eating at an equal or deficit SAD diet is as healthy as following a Keto Diet?

No fight. I am into Keto, but i just want to understand all the facts.

(Janelle) #17

Um, what? Up to 90%? I’m doing it all wrong then - Dr. Westman’s plan with 20 whole carbs per day. Somehow many others are losing far more weight on a fake keto plan then according to this statement.

ok, here is the can of worms.

For someone who is fit and healthy is it true to say they can callorie count and eat whatever they want (not including processed foods or sugars).

For others that are overweight they need to drop into Keto to undo the overeating/badeating that has gone on previously in their lives?

You have lost me? Is intermittent keto ok?

(John) #20

It seems to be a self-defeating approach. The goal is to switch your body over to fat-burning mode by reducing your total glucose/insulin produced and moderating the insulin swings by avoiding sugars, starches, and other foods that trigger insulin spikes.

The process usually takes several weeks to several months, at which point your body quite easily burns its own fat and as a result you get a natural appetite suppression which helps you eat proper amounts without having to fight hunger and cravings.

You are interrupting the process every weekend, so it can never get fully established.

If you just want to do “keto-lite” then just cut out sugars and highly refined carbs (like bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) and replace those bad carbs with more good carbs - leafy greens, lower-carb above-ground vegetables. You can do lower-carb diets without being on a fully ketogenic diet.

But I don’t see a value from constant cycling back and forth.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #21

Honestly, in my opinion, no. And not trying to argue or anything, I promise. The links shared above are definitely useful if you want to look more into the SAD with calorie counting versus Keto. If you don’t want to follow standard Keto, I’d definitely recommend to anyone that they cut refined sugars, starches, grains, etc. Which really doesn’t fall in line with the SAD. We’ve been conditioned to believe that there are “good” grains and “good” sugars (like honey, agave, etc.) But the reality is that none of those things are actually good for your body. Just my two cents!

This sounds reasonable.

Maybe but most people don’t. If you eat very low fat you may be able to get away with the food pyramid way of eating but most of us don’t believe it is the best diet for humans - healthy humans or otherwise.

People can be a ‘healthy’ weight & still be unheathy.