Intermittent Fasting to Boost Human Growth Hormone of Children

(Rossi Luo) #21

My son doesn’t like eggs, beef, chicken or fish, he ate little only on our urging. And actually he doesn’t eat much food, we don’t have snacks at home actually, he just doesn’t like eating much food.
My son doesn’t eat junk food, because he trusts me and he can control himself. The only junk food he might eat is the lunch at the school, as I know that the oils used to cook at the school are not good, but I can trust the other food materials.

(John Bradshaw) #22

@echo2080 Hi Rossi, Sounds like a difficult situation if he can’t be coaxed to eat any meats or eggs etc. Give him some nice strawberries with lashes of heavy cream and see if he takes to that… and some good cheeses. If the other kids in his class seem to be doing fine, it’s a puzzle why he won’t eat meats. All the best.

(Rossi Luo) #23

Thanks for your sharing! Do you know L-Arginine? Is it good to boost HGH levels?

(B Creighton) #24

I did intermittent fasting 3 days/wk by going dinner to dinner and skipping breakfast on those days. The 24 hour period allows for more stem cell production, and will help HGH. I’ve also used GABA to boost certain growth hormones.

(B Creighton) #25

This makes it esp important that he eat a good combination of plant foods for good protein assimilation. If you don’t have a complete essential amino acid profile with each meal, your body cannot really utilize the protein you ate since essential amino acids are not stored in the body for a prolonged basis. The limiting factor will be the lowest amino acid you need.

It has been well established that plant proteins are not assimilated into the body as easily as meat proteins. This is largely due to anti-nutrients in plants such as lectins, phytates, oxalates, and others. However, most of these can be lessened with a few steps. The major one man has learned to utilize since the introduction of agriculture in Adam’s day is cooking. Pressure cooking or simply boiling will usually remove most of these anti-nutrients.

Lentils, beans and other seeds are among the highest vegetative sources of methionine, which plants tend to lack. Plant sources also tend to be lower in lysine compared to our needs.

Potatoes actually have a good essential amino acid profile, although they also have a high degree of starch, and are among the least digestible of common plant proteins in their natural form. Being in the nightshade family they contain solanine. They also contain several substances including a glycoprotein called patatin and alkaloids such as solanine which may trigger an immune response in a few people. They are low in the non-essential amino acid, cysteine, which is not found in human muscle anyway. If you seem to have difficulty digesting potatoes, or they give you too much gas, a 2010 study suggests eating purple or yellow potatoes may reduce inflammation.
Hemp protein is fairly similar to potato protein in these respects, except it is more digestible.
Quinoa
If you are concerned with arsenic contamination in rice, an alternative is the South American grain, quinoa(pronounced keenwa). At eight grams of protein per one cup serving, quinoa is not only considered a complete protein, but has more protein overall than rice. It is also full of fiber, iron, and magnesium. Unfortunately, it is also somewhat high in lectins, so should preferably be pressure cooked, which will remove the vast majority of all the lectins, or at least boiled. I have adopted this grain into my household for everyday use except when I did keto.
Buckwheat
Buckwheat is actually not a grain, but a fruit or seed. As such it has no lectin issues such as gluten. Buckwheat also has a complete protein profile, although not as much protein as quinoa. Buckwheat can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I would love to include it more in my breakfasts if I could find good sources for this wonderful food, except when doing keto. I feel it offers lots of opportunities for the discriminating growers and marketers.
Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae that’s grown specifically to be a food additive. At slightly more than 50% complete protein by weight, it is definitely a rich protein source, but perhaps more importantly for vegetarians and vegans is a good source of vitamin B12. If you wish to be vegan, supplementation with nutritional yeast is definitely recommended. It can also be an excellent source of zinc, magnesium, copper, and manganese. I find it more palatable than spirulina, which is another decent source of B12, but avoid eating it as I have not chosen veganism as a lifestyle. Many producers use a significant number of chemicals in their production nutritional yeast. Another more natural source for B12 is Nori seaweed.

Plant food combinations for a complete protein profile
Peanut Butter and bread
Since the time I was a teenager I have been eating peanut butter, banana, and raisin sandwiches on whole wheat bread for breakfast. With 25.8 grams of protein per 100 grams peanuts are one of the best plant sources of protein, although they are a little low in methionine. Wheat is a highly digestible source of protein, and as a grain is higher in methionine than most other plant sources. It turns out that natural peanut butter on top of whole-grain wheat bread produces a complete protein. I would usually have this behind a yogurt, which also had good amounts of complete protein. Unfortunately, the amount of carbs in the bread made this an unfriendly keto meal - I spent my carb allowance elsewhere during ketosis. After beginning to research this, and finding out that many large crops of wheat get sprayed with glyphosate before harvest I have, however, begun using only organic bread.
Oatmeal, pumpkin, and chia seeds
Another breakfast option providing a full amino acid profile is organic oatmeal with canned pumpkin and chia seeds. Although too high a carbohydrate option for keto, this combination provides a full amino acid profile, and the pumpkin has other important advantages. If you want to keep the muscle built, it is important to avoid muscle breakdown through protein carbonylation. A study found that pumpkin extract inhibited increases in plasma protein carbonyls, suggesting that the fruit protects muscle proteins from degradation during vigorous exercise. (2) The naturally orange pumpkin flesh tells us that it is full of carotenoids like beta-carotene, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin, all of which help improve human health in general. Pumpkin also contains high levels of nicotinic acid and trigonelline, which have been shown to improve glucose uptake by muscle cells. In addition, pumpkin contains dehydrodiconiferyl alcohol, a plant metabolite known to sabotage glucose uptake by fat cells. A study in mice found that pumpkin extract resulted in increased grip strength and resistance to fatigue. Growing up my family added peanut butter to their oatmeal - something I did not care much for - but it does provide a complete protein profile. Use natural peanut butter to avoid transfats. Do NOT use instant oatmeal because it has a glycemic index around 83 rather than 50ish for rolled oats. This is because the glucose in instant oatmeal is brought to the surface when it is preheated. Using organic oats is the only way to ensure that you are not being inundated with too many glyphosate residues.
Lentil and Sweet Potato soup
Another protein combination I have come to enjoy more recently is lentils with sweet potato. With the exception of lysine, sweet potato has a better protein profile than white potato. However, the lentils more than make up for the lysine. The lentils are lowest in tryptophan and methionine, which the sweet potato helps to make up for, although its overall protein content and especially methionine content is not great. Here some quinoa in the pot would help, and I have begun adding it for this reason. I’ve seen the recipe also call for spinach, which proportionately has lots of tryptophan. Organic oats are relatively high in tryptophan, and will add some methionine as well to balance out protein needs. Another option is chia seeds which are relatively high in amino acids including methionine and tryptophan. I did not eat this during ketosis, although cooking the sweet potato in boiling temperatures does apparently turn some of the starches resistant.
Lentil and Barley Soup
Another lentil combination food often suggested to vegans is lentil and barley soup. I don’t really see the benefit of barley in this combination. It is not higher in any of the amino acids typically lacking in plant proteins. Buckwheat would be a better option than barley. I like my lentil and sweet potato soup much more both for taste and protein profile.
Green Beans
Green beans actually have a good amino acid profile, but are just relatively low in amino acids compared to other beans, so you need at least twice as much if not three times as much to get a similar amount of protein. If you aren’t trying to get the extra protein out of green beans, they make for a nice side dish even on keto.
Other beans
When I am low on time I like to make chili. I will typically use a can of kidney beans, a can of black beans, a can of chili beans, a can of organic corn, and a can of diced tomatoes. I now try to get organic for all the ingredients, but corn especially since otherwise it may be sprayed with glyphosate, although sweet corns are less likely to be sprayed than field corn. The corn slightly makes up for the lower methionine of the beans, but to that I also add a pound of ground beef to the pot first. I have begun using organic grass fed beef which is prepackaged in a way which virtually eliminates air from the beef contents. This is important for reasons of heart health. Beef has plenty of methionine. This makes a protein rich meal, but I didn’t eat any until the end of my four months of ketosis due to a higher carbohydrate content of the beans and corn. Rice is another option besides corn to provide the methionine lacking in the beans. However, if I don’t use an enzyme to help me digest the raffinose in the beans, I will get plenty of gas, when it hits the gut biome. I use alpha-galactosidase after a bowl of chili. Dr Gundry has made a big deal out of the lectins in beans. However, most lectins are destroyed in the heat of cooking, so canned beans are going to be relatively lectin free. Beans have been safely eaten in a number of centenarian communities around the world, which tend to consume some beans and grains.
Peas
Pea protein and soy protein are both quite low in the essential amino acid methionine, but this can be made up by adding rice protein, which has proportionately high amounts of this amino acid. Other matching choices include corn or hemp proteins because they are proportionately higher in methionine, while pea protein makes up for their lack of lysine.
Broccoli and Kale
Cooked broccoli followed by a kale salad actually provides a good amino acid profile. If soaked chia seeds are added to the kale salad, all the better. I ate a lot of this during keto.
Nut Mix
A snack I use at lunch time even during keto was an unsalted nut mix I make myself with bulk raw pecans, almonds, sunlower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried coconut, oat rolled dates or organic raisins, and sometimes blanched peanuts. This was enough to satisfy munchies, and is easily portable. It lacks somewhat in lysine, but otherwise has a good amino acid profile. If raw pumpkin seeds are added, it helps make up for the two most limiting amino acids of this nut mix, low lysine and methionine. Indeed, they are a good complement because they are somewhat lower in the mixes two highest amino acid RDIs, cystine and phenylalanine - something I didn’t know in the past.
Tabouleh
Bulgar wheat, chopped pecan, chopped parsley, chopped onion, chopped lime, with drizzled olive oil/MCT oil, salt and pepper

(Rossi Luo) #26

You have no idea how many thanks I want to say to you!
Especially for the combinations of foods options, it’s quite impressive. I will talk to my wife on this, because it’s her preparing foods for my kids.
In addition to that, from your post, I knew the lysine, this is the first time I know lysine. I think my son needs it, so I have bought lysine supplements minutes ago, and I will feed my son with the lysine and L-Arginine together

(Rossi Luo) #28

@PaulL The above account (Maiden Mileva) seems to be an advertiser here, I have read all its posts, it’s recommending Canadian Pharmacy everywhere without a reason.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like @OldDoug has taken care of the matter.

(Edith) #30

I’m a little late to this discussion but I wanted to say I’m glad you decided not to try intermittent fasting with your son. If he is not eating protein containing foods, especially meat, intermittent fasting I believe would just make things worse. I also think that the fact that he just doesn’t eat much in general is a big part of the problem. It’s a vicious cycle, very little eating begets very little eating. You are going to have to work on getting him to eat more in general.

You mentioned he doesn’t like eating meat. How about dairy? Can you get Greek yogurt or cottage cheese into him? How about smoothies using whey protein powder? Those could help get some good quality protein into him.

My child wanted to be a vegetarian when she was younger. I told her if she wanted to be a vegetarian when she was done growing that could be her choice, but while she was growing she needed to have meat in her diet.

Please keep us updated.

(Rossi Luo) #31

Thanks for your suggestion. As my country is not a culture of dairy food, so it’s quite difficult to get healthy Greek yogurt or cheese, the yogurt or cheese sold here is not fresh and contains lots of chemicals to keep its long shelf life, the only safe dairy food we can get is milk, and he has been drinking milk daily, but it doesn’t help on his growth. I am feeding him lysine and arginine together, hope it can work.