Interesting follow up with my primary care

(Consensus is Politics) #1

So, today I had my follow up with my primary care physician. Last week was Endocrinologist follow up. Between the two there was definitely a miscommunication. I’ll get to that later. It was a simple one, but still.:face_with_monocle:

As an aside, the VA here in Fayetteville, NC has improved tremendously. The schedulers, the nurses, front desk people. Wow. Streamlined just like you would expect of any professional establishment. They must be listening to their customers. I checked in 5 minutes early, and was seen within 10 minutes of my scheduled appointment. In the past, it would have been more like an hour wait. Especially the one I went to in Phoenix. Nightmare that place was. So I give applause to them here. Smooth running machine. Thank guys.

After the nurse re-validated who I was for the third time after checking in (which is good, there is another Johnson in there with the same last six digits of the social security number) which is something I have gotten used to having such a common name​:roll_eyes:. She does a double take at the records. Looks at me. Looks at the page on her left, looks at the page on her right. Looks at me again. Clears her through, and has the biggest smile on her face as she says, “ it says here in Aug you had an A1c of 11.8%? And this test last week shows it’s now 5.8%?!? How?” That how was incorporated in with a bunch of stuttering and babbling for what felt like it was taking her forever to get it out. Must have been about three or four seconds really. She almost looked like she was going to get up and dance. She said it was remarkable. She has never seen anything like it. She double checked the records again to be sure they were correct. I assured her they were. She took my blood pressure and weight (the chair I was in had a scale built in, way cool. Had tons of diagnostic equipment attached to it. Made me think of Doctor McCoy :nerd_face:. I was getting geek on.

Then another double take, well, two double takes on my blood pressure. It was 170/130. She coughed, and didn’t want me to see it. I said, oops. I just ran up 3 flights of stairs. Could that have effected it? :grin:. So after 3 more attempts she got a reading she could use. 130/80. She had to adjust the chair for me, it was very uncomfortable.

But when she looked at my weight, she was amazed. She was comparing it to the reading in Sept, which was 245. She said,”wow, 40 pounds in four months?” And I said no, it was 40 pounds in two weeks😁 with a much bigger smile than that. I had her attention. She said she had to know. How was it possible to do this?

So I didn’t break it gently, since she was asking me for it, I hit her with both barrels. I replaced all my carbs with fat. I eat, well try to eat, as close to zero carbs as possible. Her jaw dropped. Maybe I hit her a little two hard. After a moment she asked if it was difficult. I admitted, the hardest part was giving up the addiction to carbs. Which she admits is her problem too. She said she’s gotta have her pizza. I began to mention the foods I now eat, steak, eggs, bacon, my 500 calorie coffee. My visit was no longer about my diabetes. It was about introducing her to Keto. and I was fine with that.

She was slightly overweight. Not nearly to extent that I was, but is was just this side of noticeable. But not so much that I would say she was fat. More like normal, with a little extra. And she was eating up the info. She had more patients to tend too, but I could tell she wanted more. She kept stalling and asking more. I gave her Dr Fungs name, a quick summary of the Obesity Code. And the address to this Forum. Hopefully she come here and reclaims control of her sugar dominated health.

THEN THE DOCTOR COMES IN. First, please note. I am really good with accents. I am really good and communicating with persons who are ESL (English second language). Probably from growing in in the immigrant district of San Francisco. I had friends from every continent in my schools I attended there. I’ve even been able to understand without them even speaking English. I was always good at observation and keeping context (I guess, my ex wife would argue that one🤠)

So, my primary care Doctor is Chinese I believe. Based on his name, and accent. I won’t use it here for obvious reasons. We (he) we’re having horrible communication problems. I’m pretty sure he allotted a certain amount of time with me, and was already behind, and wanted to end the visit as quickly as he could. He looked over everything, said, “ok, keep taking your BP meds, your statins, and the Metformin.” I told him I haven’t been taking it since mid November. He said, ok. Just don’t discontinue them as your blood sugar will spike really high and could harm you. I got really serious looking so he would pay attention this time as I told him the how and why I discontinued it on my own. Which prompted me to ask about the benefits of continuing it anyway for other reasons. Such as reversing IR (insulin resistance). And that I never had been taking statins. Ever. This was news to me.

This got his attention. Caused him to open my records and look again. Made sure he was looking at the right Johnson, and said, “I see, very good job on lowering your a1c, you must be eating much healthier and exercising a lot now.” So I leveled with him, because I needed him to understand, I wanted to know if taking Metformin could help with my IR. He refused to talk about it, said I needed to talk with my Endocrinologist about that. And that I should continue talking my meds, to prevent a sugar spike. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
Reminded of of a line of Arlington Guthrie’s Alice’s Restaurant, “and the judge came in and sat down. And the seeing eye dog came in and sat down. And the Sheriff looked at the 27 8x10 glossy color photographs with he circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back explaining what each one was, and looked at the seeing eye dog”

So stood up, shook his hand and said thank you Doc.

It was at most, an underwhelming experience. I was prepared for some confrontation of some kind. But instead was received with, ‘meh’.

But at least that nurse got some info to help her out. Makes the entire day worth it🤠

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Arlo Guthrie. :sunglasses: It isn’t Thanksgiving at my home without Alice’s Restaurant.

Love that the nurse wanted info. The dr. sounds about typical. So work with the endo about the Metformin and keep rocking those great health markers.

I really enjoyed this post.

(Consensus is Politics) #3

Thank you. I’m pwning Diabetes. It assumed it would be one on one and it didn’t account for this forum. I have never been so well informed about a single health concern.

“You can get anything you want… at Alice’s Restaurant (excepting Alice)”:sunglasses:

(Ralph Schneekloth) #4

I go to the VA at Tomah, been T2 you know for a while. Between IF and now keto, this past year has been awesome. My primary care recently showed me her copy of “The Obesity Code” along with “Complete Guide to Fasting.” Currently down 50 lbs ±, and the deeper I get into keto, the better the rest of the numbers get. Meds are down 80% past year as well. Dr Eric Westman used to work at Fayetteville VA too, not sure if he still does. Getting a VA doc to change thought process and open mind is a tough nut to crack. Just thought I’d share

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

That is awesome news, slowly they learn. It is going to take some time, but eventually the tide will turn.

(Ralph Schneekloth) #6

Indeed, I try the one day at a time, and keep letting the results speak for me

(Karen) #7

I always think nurses listen, docs not as much. It’s sometimes the profile of the type of personality that it takes to get through med school. Impressive health recovery though!

K

(Trish) #8

Loved reading this story. Felt very let down by the doctor’s lackadaisical attitude. Congratulations on your health successes.

(Mel Soule) #9

@Robert_Johnson Bob I can’t hit the like button enough with your post. Well done my friend, very well done. Those A1c numbers are stellar. Truly stellar. KCKO

(Consensus is Politics) #10

Last night I was so frustrated. I went down a rabbit hole and ended up at a UK Diabetes site. I’m not sure if it was click bait or not. The posts were from 3 to 5 years old. And these people were saying how their doctors were so happy for them to get their a1c down to a 7 or an 8. My jaw dropped. The were considering those numbers good? These people had a1c ‘s in the 9 and 10 range. It’s good to say they are making progress, but to say they are GOOD NUMBERS?!? I quickly looked through it, and essentially everyone there was agreeing that those were good numbers to have. A supposed doctor chimes in when someone said they wanted their a1c down to 4. The doc said not to do that. Don’t go lower than 6% on your a1c. You risk going hypo if you do. WTF?!? I was furious. I wanted to slap every last one of them to get them to wake up. I was ready to post a “calm and collected” post about pre diabetes, and the constant downward slope, that can be easily mediated with a very slight change in diet. But there was no where to log in, unless I gave them tons of personal info.

That got me to thinking that it might have just been a click bait type site designed to snag someone like me, entice them to get irate enough to have that “I must correct this issue on the internet” feeling that won’t subside. A kind of OCD if you will. I made an effort NOT to see the name of the url as I hit exit in the window.

(Richard Morris) #11

He wasn’t paying attention.

Bingo. Now SHE knows the right question to ask. She was definitely paying attention.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

My husband’s dr. is happy he is keeping in the 6. range 6.1 or 5.9 a1c, but I am not happy with that number. I want him down around 5. I seem to remember a podcast where @richard was saying 5.5 is a tipping point? Maybe he can chime in here?

(Consensus is Politics) #13

I think it was 5.7%. I thought I heard him say that from there your pancreas beta cells die faster than they are replaced.

(Andrew) #14

I remember 5.4%. LOL. @richard help!

(Rob) #15

Diabetes patients have been told that it is a long slow death sentence so their bars for success go way down. Doctors are happy to manage to 7.0 under the assumption that you can’t reverse it.
Diabetes forums can be depressing places with people listing surgeries, amputations etc almost as badges of honor. If you don’t think you can cure it, your outlook entirely changes. My long time T2 friend thinks anything in the 6’s is well managed and if he gets an 8.1 he just goes ‘oh well’. I now get far more upset at his scores than he does!

More recently I’ve seen Keto people being shouted down in diabetes forums as liars and charlatans since they refute what the doctors have told them.

(Marsha) #16

“More recently I’ve seen Keto people being shouted down in diabetes forums as liars and charlatans since they refute what the doctors have told them.”

Yep. I’m a relatively frequent reader/rare poster at a T2 diabetes forum. There are a couple of keto folks (or close to keto) there, but not many. The rest are constantly posting about the new medication they’re on or how to adjust their insulin. Plenty of them are satisfied with fasting glucose levels of 125 and more. Fortunately, it’s also a reasonably genteel group. They don’t do a lot of shouting down, but basically respond to any keto post with, “Well, I’m sure SOME people MIGHT try to do that, but really now… that’s not really possible and certainly not necessary. Have a piece of toast – and don’t forget your three snacks per day --you’ll feel much better.” :wink:

(Rob) #17

The “it might work for some people” line is something I’ve heard way too often. The assumed ‘but not for me’ is code for ‘I don’t believe it and heard somewhere that it was dangerous’.

Sad but there’s only so much you can do to lead a horse to water.

(Tim) #18

When I hear this, the response that comes to mind is “If you’re sure it works for some, wouldn’t it be worth it to find out if you’re one of them? Or, is the food you’d have to give up worth more to you than than the fingers, toes, etc. you risk giving up now?”

(Richard Morris) #19

This study …

tested the recently post mortum pancreases of patients of the mayo clinic where they had accurate records of their glucose exposure.

They found that obese people with impaired fasting glucose tolerance (prediabetes), so people with a fasting blood glucose of 110mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l) or over had a deficit of 40% and those with impaired glucose tolerance (actually diabetic), so a fasting glucose of 126 mg/dl (7mmol/l) had a 63% deficit.

It means we can say that the point where you are killing your beta cells (glycotoxic apoptosis) faster than they can divide and make new ones, is actually BEFORE you are prediabetic.

I did a rough equivalent HbA1c that would mean you were averaging around a glucose level of 110mg/dl. That would be the level at which you were going backwards at least half the time. 5.6% and greater means you are past the knee of the curve.

(Consensus is Politics) #20

It did feel really good in there when they questioned me how I did it. And when they want to tell me I’m doing it wrong, the numbers speak for themselves. It’s not like I went to a black market weight loss center and had some illegal procedure done, just to confuse the doctors.