Interesting follow up with my primary care

(Consensus is Politics) #21

Nice work there. My eyes began to cross about 25% of the way into it.

Up to that point (about the time they came to their conclusions) I really liked the science of it. They seemed to be very thorough in explaining what the criteria was, and how selection played out. If only more studies include all of this in their papers. Granted, it’s easy enough to just say you did all that, but at least it gives us an idea that the scientists know how to be scientists.

(Consensus is Politics) #22

Yesterday I received some mail from the VA. A letter that was mostly the results of the lab work, with a notation saying “your diabetes control is excellent”, but…
They followed that with “your bad cholesterol is high”. I knew that was coming. But I had no idea what the numbers would be so I didn’t even want to look into cholesterol until I knew my numbers.
“And the rest of your tests were normal. NORMAL.
So using the numbers they gave me…

233 Cholesterol (I’m assuming total?)
141 Triglycerides
62 HDL
156 LDL
28 VLDL

So my VLDL is normal. Up to 30 is normal, and 40 is high? So plenty good there as far as I’m concerned.

156 for LDL is considered borderline. :scream:

My HDL, higher is better. 62 is a home run. 60 and above is health improvement generation territory from what I gleaned.

Triglycerides 141, <150 is normal range. So normal.

Curiously what’s missing is ratios. My guess is that they don’t want to deal with ratios because it buggers up them being able to say things like, “we think you need to take statins”. My Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 3.75, if I did it correctly. 233/62 right? Less than 4 being good. Or wait, maybe that’s also borderline too?:scream:

There was note from the Endocrinologist “Start Atorvastatin 20MG at bedtime. Repeat Cholesterol Test before next appointment.”

Oh, I forgot to mention I also receive the prescription i. The mail too. This is fishy to me. I have ALWAYS been required to go pick up my new prescriptions from the pharmacy. They always hold the meds until you pick them up OR ASK to have them mailed. But they mailed them on their own accord. I guess having great blood work counts for nothing if LDLs are borderline. Not high, just borderline. Give me a break. How am I not supposed to read into this. Effing pill pushers.

(Arlene) #23

I believe these carb-loving folks, diabetic or not just don’t believe these foods are all that harmful, certainly not harmful enough to cause one to lose a toe or a foot. I believe this is how the thinking goes:

Firstly, the diabetic often has a doctor/nutritionist advising them to consume high amounts of carbs. If you can’t trust your doctor, who can you trust?
Secondly, carbs are highly addictive. Most people can not imagine giving up their carb pleasures.
Lastly, surely carbs aren’t all THAT dangerous, otherwise these foods would not be allowed on our grocery shelves.

(Candy Lind) #24

:cry:

(Candy Lind) #25

EXACTLY.

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

The ratio you want to look at is tri/hdl. yours is 2.27 From what I have read 2 or less is considered ideal. 4 - high.

I did come across a total chol/hdl ratio on Mayo clinic site, it says “An optimal ratio is less than 3.5-to-1”

So your dr. is very old school, as is the VA in general from what I see in forums, this and over on MFP’s as well.

You have lost a LOT of weight in the last year, so your LDLs should be higher according to Phinney and several others, who I respect more than any VA dr.